Griffin's Penultimate Stand - Division 2 2018-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Words fail me:

One crumb of consolation is that an old Zulu top boy has come out and condemned the twat quite vocally.

Comment

WTF is wrong with these people?

Comment

Someone posted his address under that Tweet. 'Vocally' in his case might mean 'forearm smash across the windpipe*'.

* or wherever the voice box is located.

Comment

https://twitter.com/WMPolice/status/1104879608112005121?s=19

Comment

I've been an away fan at Birmingham, spat on by their "fans". I'd be delighted if the club got expelled from the league for this. There needs to be a draconian punitive example made. Next time it could be an idiot with a blade.

Comment

I'm no fan of Birmingham but I don't know how much responsibility should fall on the club. We all have idiots among us. I realise the two things aren't directly connected, but this can't help them in the court of public opinion with the potential points deduction they supposedly have got coming up. That might be punishment enough.

Comment

True, and I was half joking. (Although, if any club was booted out the league it wouldn't break my heart if it was Birmingham City.)

The comment about a weapon is more serious though. Shrewsbury played Galatasary in a friendly a few years back and someone ran on the pitch from the away end to hug Didier Drogba. The police and stewards were very slow to react. At the time I felt very unnerved by it - yes, he was just an exuberant fan, but what if he had been more than exuberant and felt Drogba had slighted him in some way?

These things escalate. What will happen next time Birmingham play at Villa Park? Or when Hibs visit Rangers? Or Arsenal visit Manchester United? How do you stop some hothead seeking "revenge"?

Comment

The arsehole has deleted his Twitter, and today he has Barrington a kickboxer coming round to his house to teach him about respect (in a genuine mentor type way as opposed to a good leathering way)

Suppose in some small way meaning he won't cause hurt to others (well from that account at least) is s positive step, can eat an elephant in small bites and all that

Comment

Clearly this guy was an idiot.

But a little perspective is needed.

Far worse has been happening in Scotland (& elsewhere) for decades now.
                    Not quite the same degrees of outrage.

This sums up my thoughts.

https://twitter.com/PhilHayYEP/statu...479263232?s=19
                    Last edited by George C.; 11-03-2019, 14:16.

Comment

Ipswich's pre-season begins this evening, with six academy players in the 18 at Bristol City, including two - Idris El Mizouni and son-of-Richard Harry Wright - on the bench for the first time and another, Josh Emmanuel, playing for the first time in almost two seasons after loan spells at Rotherham and Shrewsbury. They'll probably get hammered but I think this is what we need to do now.

Comment

50 points! We're staying up!

Comment

Will Ipswich get Lee Johnson sacked?

I'm not sure how you would objectively measure "worst set of play-off teams ever" but this season's crop should be contenders.

Comment

I dunno, I reckon it's pretty much standard most years. One team that is unlucky to miss out on automatic promotion. Two teams which have been there or thereabouts all season but not really looked like making the top 2 and a 4th which comes on a late run (I'm going to predict Forest for that last one, possibly Villa).

Comment

I fear that we could hit 90 points this season and still miss out (think this has only happened once in the second tier - Sunderland in 1998). The top three all look unbeatable right now and without doing a lot wrong (six wins out of seven) we're back to second. It's all down to who will crack first and the pressure on us to beat Hull tonight is huge. At least we have the situation that one or both of the Yorkshire clubs will drop points when they play each other on Saturday.

Comment

You had better keep winning. Norwich are the only team standing between us and the apocalyptic scenario of both Leeds and Sheffield United going up. (Though I fear that that scenario will still come to pass even if Norwich do go up automatically). You can however, be assured that the entirety of the blue and white half of Sheffield now support Norwich almost more than they do their own team. We're all attending crash courses in Jeremy Goss and John Bond related folklore

Comment

Do Sheffield United sing "Billy Sharp do do do do do do," and if not, why not?

Comment

Much pleasure to be derived for Blades fans from dipping onto Owlstalk at present - our northern brethren are quietly crapping themselves about the possibility AH describes.

I'm really not sure what is going on in the brains of many fans these days, in the last 2 or 3 weeks we've had fans of WBA, Boro and last night Brentford watch our poor little team of second rate footballers turn their boys over and many seem to be genuinely unable to process the reality of what they've witnessed. Apparently none of our players would get into any of their teams, we just play physical kick and run, Wilder's nothing special etc. etc.

The match thread on Griffin Park Grapevine http://www.griffinpark.org/forums/sh...131723&page=14 is a classic of its type; some very reasonable comments but a hefty proportion that seem utterly convinced that they are better than a team 22 points ahead of them and that having a team full of nimble, quick, flighty types that zip the ball around but fail to score is somehow superior to a team that's just that, a team, brilliantly organised, fantastically managed and individually and collectively utterly determined to do all they possibly can to get promoted.

This comment from GPG in particular cracks me up “"Sheffield United are good as(t) what they do. From what I saw JOC and Egan were excellent tonight for them but still don’t think our style suits either of them and they are in a team that plays to their strength."” What is this Brentford style? world beaters one week and soft as shite the following one? from what I saw O'Connell and Egan are exactly what Brentford need and yet the majority of their fans still seem to believe it was good business on their part to flog the pair of them to us for £4.5M.

I still fear that we might be the team to miss out on automatic but I've been thinking that for weeks and we keep rolling along. We've had (and still got) the most difficult run in to negotiate out of the top 3 and I can't help thinking that we will dip in performance level at some point, please god it's not at Elland Road on Saturday.
                                    Last edited by Glass Half Empty; 13-03-2019, 11:33.

Comment

Originally posted by Glass Half Empty View Post
                                      Much pleasure to be derived for Blades fans from dipping onto Owlstalk .
                                      Poor buggers. I need a bath after looking at that place so fuck knows how they must feel.

Anyway United usually find new and imaginative ways to balls up the play offs, so managing to lose to someone who finished twenty points behind them would seem entirely in keeping with that noble tradition.

Comment

There's no lack of respect from the majority of Brentford fans who know the game. I think the over-optimism may have been down to winning seven out of the last nine and actually managing to beat Middlesbrough on Saturday. I would imagine even Sheffield United have their message board idiots.

John Egan and the rest of your defence have been brilliant all season but our model is built on selling at what we regard as a fair price and using the revenue to build. For the price of Egan we bought two younger players in Konsa and Jeanvier. You may be surprised at what they'll be worth in a year or so. Wilder has clearly managed to turn Egan into a better player so credit to him.

We are fully aware of our deficiencies and the current league table is a fair reflection but more often than not they're a pleasure to watch. The flakiness is due to having the second youngest team in the league and at times being over-adventurous. Half way through the second half last night we switched to a back two. We also have a very thin squad and the fourth lowest wage budget in the division. Sheffield United have five strikers to choose from. We have one.

Mind you, if there was one United player we could choose to improve the team it would be Henderson. If he'd been playing for us this season, we'd be in a play-off position.

Anyway, best of luck at Leeds on Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by Glass Half Empty View Post

I still fear that we might be the team to miss out on automatic but I've been thinking that for weeks and we keep rolling along. We've had (and still got) the most difficult run in to negotiate out of the top 3 and I can't help thinking that we will dip in performance level at some point, please god it's not at Elland Road on Saturday.
                                          Six clean sheets in a row since the Villa Park debacle is a clear sign that United are not going to go away easily. Our defence could cost us during the run-in, although we have tightened up somewhat now. Tim Krul, although very popular and experienced, has been prone to some ridiculous fuck ups and moments of madness. Don't rule out a catastrophic error at some point before May.

Sheff Utd and Leeds are the best two sides to visit Carrow Road this season. We desperately need to win tonight and Saturday plus hope for a draw between the two big guns at the weekend. Anything for a tiny bit of breathing space, but it obviously won't be that simple and we very rarely get a victory at Rotherham anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                            the apocalyptic scenario of both Leeds and Sheffield United going up
                                            Well, there would be a certain nostalgia about that from my perspective as a Leeds fan. Last time we got promoted to the top flight, at the end of the 1989-90 season, the other automatically promoted club was Sheffield United. And if a repeat of that double promotion would be "apocalyptic", then ad hoc presumably needs some super-apocalyptic terminology to describe the result of the 89-90 season, when Wednesday were simultaneously relegated from the top tier.

Mild preference on my part for the Blades to go up with us, merely because I happen to have encountered more anti-Leeds comments from Norwich fans recently than from Blades fans, but I expect that's just a function of having been exposed to more Norwich comments than Blades comments.

As for the question of Leeds getting promoted, I have to say this would be a joyful season for it to happen in, when we have less awful owners than we have had for many years and also an utterly wonderful manager. The days of, for example, Ken Bates and Dennis Wise are just a distant nightmare. Then, of course, winning *the* title two years after promotion like last time, please.

Comment

Not watching it but my friend has just texted me to say the Swansea missed penalty at the hawthorns was one of the worst he has ever seen.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                                                Not watching it but my friend has just texted me to say the Swansea missed penalty at the hawthorns was one of the worst he has ever seen.
                                                https://twitter.com/Jampa9/status/1105933684845236225?s=19

It is quite something

Comment

Oh lord. I'm revising my previous post. not one of the worst penalties. it is in fact, the worst penalty I've ever seen.

Comment

Same.

Breathtaking.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X