No announcement yet.

SalopChat and other clubs - Division 3 2018-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It wasn't about today. Getting hammered by Accrington last Saturday sent us down, but you also can't do fuck all before Christmas and expect to pull away up the table in the new year. Ultimately our previous chairman deserves all the flack. He gave Adams a five year deal, ensured the continual churn of players with his one year contracts and sanctioned the signings of a raft of wingers and central defenders that never played.

Today was enjoyably mad. And as to that goal, well maybe Scunthorpe were aggrieved after an incident in the first half when one of their players went down in our box, though whether it was a penalty I couldn't say, but we broke away, ended up getting a corner with their man still down and tried to take it quickly with him still prostrate. What is certain is that Macey had been limping for a couple of minutes and had just struggled to claim a high ball. He certainly signalled that he wasn't fit to continue. He should have sat on the ball and not done anything though. I can accept Josh Morris not realising, thinking the keeper was rolling the ball to a non-existant left back and not believing his luck, but the reaction from his team mates was full-on. The keeper certainly rushed to join the celebrations and who can blame him after two of our muppets got in his face after our first goal (he clipped one round the ear which has gone unmentioned amongst everything). Some of them knew. Ultimately it took the wind out of Scunthorpe, they were giving it to us and that seemed to kill their momentum - Rory McArdle had been running them and yet seemed to just stop playing. We hit the post twice and for a couple of minutes the 4-goal swing to catch Wimbledon didn't seem so far fetched.

Comment

Cheers Greenlander, luckily any resentment won't fester because we get to play each other next year too! Hopefully it will be the title decider, although can't see it myself.

And yes, when I said Morris wasn't that kind of player I should have added "(although most of the others are)".

We'll see how many of those stick around next year, not many contracts are up (Morris the most notable whose is) but we've got a reasonably large wage bill so will need to trim off some of that, hopefully there will be some relegation clauses, and hopefully we'll get the manager situation sorted soonest, although if they look at the chairman's record of backing, then sacking it won't be that appealing.

Comment

Interesting that our Chairman was very quick to condemn the actions of the team after the second goal and stopped all press interaction with players and management, stating he wanted to 'understand' what informed the decision to compete from the restart. This whole sorry mess just finishes off a season best forgotten for us.
        I'm not sure I share Greenlander's appraisal of McArdle, particularly for the second Plymouth goal ....and umpteen other gaffs throughout the season.
        If the Manager, McArdle and Morris are not around next season, like jwdd27, I hope the bad feelings don't fester too much.
        Last edited by IronSeaPower; 05-05-2019, 08:29. Reason: After posting, noticed the 'f' word in jwdd27's post...

Comment

Ray, there's a picture on Twitter of a half and half scarf Wimbledon/Franchise. That's surely not real, is it? (Ffwtbol tweeted it)

Comment

Yeah, I responded to his tweet, those scarves have been around for quite some time and were produced by Franchise vermin to troll Dons supporters.

Comment

I think this is going to be one of the most memorable images of the season from this, or any other, division :

Comment

The Brandy Chastain of his era

Comment

Excellent thread from Accrington's chairman/majority shareholder ;

https://twitter.com/AndyhHolt/status/1125673633496608768

Comment

This is the official photo of Sam Ricketts on the Shrewsbury website. It's not very flattering.

They might have warned him it was photo day and encouraged him to shave. Also they could have cropped out the plug socket.

Comment

Originally posted by Tapiocahead View Post
                      We like anyone associated with the 12/13 season but obviously Hanson's local and his whole hearted contributions are in stark contrast to what we've been enduring this season
                      There's no great clamour for him to come back though
                      His contract with Wimbledon has just been cancelled through mutual (and very amicable) consent, everyone reckons he's going home

Comment

I don't think he's coming back to City. Grimsby appears to be the most likely.
                        City are heavily linked with James Vaughan and, somewhat improbably, Daryl Murphy.

Comment

Ah yes ;

https://twitter.com/officialgtfc/status/1140937199233327105

Comment

Accrington Stanley have lined up a friendly against Olympique Marseille (yes, them), it will be played at Salford rugby stadium as the pitch at the wham stadium is being relaid
                            quite a coup as the other pre-season s are against Bala and Sligo.
                            very European, our Stanley..

Comment

Originally posted by shadsworth cloud View Post
                              Accrington Stanley have lined up a friendly against Olympique Marseille (yes, them), it will be played at Salford rugby stadium as the pitch at the wham stadium is being relaid
                              6 pm is a bit of an odd kick off time for a Thursday.

Comment

Apparently it is so Marseille don't get back too late to their hotel in the Midlands. They are primarily coming to England to train at St George's Park, so are presumably staying near there.

Comment

Fixtures are out. Ipswich have their first ever meetings with Rochdale, Fleetwood and Wycombe by mid-October.

Edit: Hang on, this is last season's thread...

Comment

Working...
                                  X