No announcement yet.

SalopChat and other clubs - Division 3 2018-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It appears to be a false alarm about Ardley and he’s staying put, for Saturday’s visit of very much in-form Luton at least.

Comment

Which seems to be going...not very well.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
        Which seems to be going...not very well.
        I saw speculation that he was staying on rather than leave his replacement or a caretaker such a tough first game but I’m never sure if that kind of theory is ever accurate.

Comment

It's not.

Comment

Bradford and Scunthorpe are in simultaneous relegation plunges, both recording their 5th successive defeats today, and losing heavily against weaker opposition too - Bratford went down 4-0 at Gillingham while Scunny did even better, losing 4-1 at home against the previously hopeless Plymouth.

David Hopkin was a no-show for the press conference, leading to resignation rumours. If they want Stuart McCall back, I'm sure it can be arranged. He's "struggling to find his best XI" at the moment. And is struggling with arse/elbow recognition.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
              Bradford and Scunthorpe are in simultaneous relegation plunges, both recording their 5th successive defeats today, and losing heavily against weaker opposition too - Bratford went down 4-0 at Gillingham while Scunny did even better, losing 4-1 at home against the previously hopeless Plymouth.

David Hopkin was a no-show for the press conference, leading to resignation rumours. If they want Stuart McCall back, I'm sure it can be arranged. He's "struggling to find his best XI" at the moment. And is struggling with arse/elbow recognition.
              Gills against Bradford was one of the strangest games I've ever seen. In the first half, Bradford were by far the better side and should have been at least two goals up at half time over a nervous-looking Gills. In the second half Gillingham came out attacking, scored quickly and proceeded to batter them. It could easily have been seven in the end. I've never seen anything like it. If ever there was a game where the first goal was crucial, that was it.

Comment

Bradford City have yet to gain a point this season in any game where they have conceded. Not conceded first, just conceded. The 10 points have come from 3 1-0 wins and a 0-0 draw.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                  Bradford and Scunthorpe are in simultaneous relegation plunges, both recording their 5th successive defeats today...
                  Wimbledon "pffft" at your five match losing runs, they have lost six on the bounce.

Comment

City's next 2 games are Portsmouth and Peterborough so we will probably be reminiscing wistfully about the days of 5 losses.

Comment

Odd phrasing in a Shropshire Star report implies that the Shrewsbury board might sack the manager before the Wimbledon game.

That losing streak may be at an end soon, TonTon and Ray.

Comment

Would Hurst go back?

Comment

The fanbase are divided on whether to get rid of Askey, although he is losing support daily. The 'Askey Out' brigade are then further divided - there's definitely some people who would like to see Hurst back, but there's a lot of people who think he's Judas and not just for leaving but for taking 2 of the better players right at the end of the window. Plus as someone pointed out on Facebook "he's just got fired for being shit".

I wouldn't mind him coming back. He got us out of deeper shit before and knows how to organise a team. There's enough time left this season to turn it around and get top half at least. But he would need to earn the trust of the fans back.

Comment

I wrote on another thread how Hurst both over-achieved and failed miserably last season.

https://www.onetouchfootball.com/sho...=1#post1486551

I think if he came back I'd hope to see him build more of a legacy.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                              I saw speculation that he was staying on rather than leave his replacement or a caretaker such a tough first game but I’m never sure if that kind of theory is ever accurate.
                              He'll Ardley hold on now, will he?

Comment

Maybe, the football board issued a statement in the week saying they aren’t going to fire him and he followed it up with an interview saying he would never quit on the club.

They’re already down anyway, I’ve accepted that. Six points adrift of safety , seven defeats in a row and they keep on losing to wretched teams like Bradford, Plymouth and now Shrewsbury today.

There was an element of bad luck in that The Dons were dominant for fifty minutes and 1-0 up almost solely due to an outstanding performance from target man James Hanson who then picked up a game-ending injury from what seemed an innocuous challenge.

Having previously not managed a shot, Salop took the initiative after that but the win came from a double touch of fortune. At 1-1 a Wimbledon free kick hit the inside of a post and somehow didn’t go in while in the 89th minute a Shrews one did the same and bounced in lamely.

It’s academic though, it’s going to be D4 next season.
                                Last edited by Ray de Galles; 03-11-2018, 19:31.

Comment

If it's any consolation, Ray, tje Dons may have managed a stay of execution for our man Askey so Shrews will be likely seeing you in D4 next year

Comment

Actually, I’ll qualify my comment about the likelihood of Neal Ardley going. Lose away to Haringey Borough in the Cup live on TV next Friday night and he may not last.

Comment

Askey isn't under threat. He is more likely to leave of his own accord and frankly I wouldn't blame him. Our current form isn't that bad at 3-0-3. Some of our support need to get their heads out of their arses and forget last season.

As for yesterday, well hard luck on the Dons, but we played well at times this season and got nothing. So it's sort of nice to be poor and snatch a win. I'm told our second half performance at least warranted the points.

Comment

3-0-3 looks good if the rest of the season so far is ignored. And it's only a 1.5 points a game record.

Characterising all the criticism as people with heads up their arses isn't exactly fair. Nobody was really gunning for him from the off, most people seemed optimistic that he could do a decent job given what he'd done at Macclesfield. But he hasn't helped himself with some of his post match excuses, team selections, tactics (although he did exhibit an unusual level of honesty admitting he got the tactics wrong a few weeks back).

Still as someone pointed out Salop are still only 10 points off Accrington in sixth. If this isn't another false dawn (like Southend, Accrington, Barnsley) and they can get a run together the doubters will calm down.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                          3-0-3 looks good if the rest of the season so far is ignored. And it's only a 1.5 points a game record.

Characterising all the criticism as people with heads up their arses isn't exactly fair. Nobody was really gunning for him from the off, most people seemed optimistic that he could do a decent job given what he'd done at Macclesfield. But he hasn't helped himself with some of his post match excuses, team selections, tactics (although he did exhibit an unusual level of honesty admitting he got the tactics wrong a few weeks back).

Still as someone pointed out Salop are still only 10 points off Accrington in sixth. If this isn't another false dawn (like Southend, Accrington, Barnsley) and they can get a run together the doubters will calm down.
                                          The point is we are actually improving results wise hence mentioning 3-0-3, the paradox being our performances haven't been that great. Or in other words after a poor and slow start results are improving even if performances have been patchy at best. Early on we played very well without getting results and unsurprisingly confidence dropped.

I'm perfectly happy to characterise people as having their heads up their arses when during the first game half the South Stand sang "You don't know what you're doing" when subbing a clearly knackered Whalley. I think I mentioned that on here before. So yeah, people have been "gunning for him from the off".

I'm baffled by the post-match excuses comment. He doesn't make excuses, he just admits he gets it wrong (Fleetwood), criticises players for lack of effort (Oxford) and bemoans our luck (Portsmouth/Doncaster/Bradford). Other times he's left scratching his head at the inconsistency of certain players. He's not above criticism of course, but some of the bollox being spouted on social media, in pubs and around the ground on a bloke who has been here 4/5 months and had the heart of last seasons team ripped out in utter nonsense.

Comment

Neal Ardley leaves Wimbledon.

The timing is slightly surprising after two victories, albeit in Cup competitions and after a very unconvincing performance on Friday night.
                                            Last edited by Ray de Galles; 12-11-2018, 11:50.

Comment

Thread sponsors Salop have said "Aye-thang-yaw and goodbye" to Askey too.

Comment

Yep. Not sure what the moaners will moan about now.

I don't like seeing managers sacked but this wasn't working back in August.

Comment

Shrewsbury have turned into a shabby, little shit-hole of a club with a hard core of self-entitled arseholes who believed from day one that Askey wasn't good enough for the club.

It wasn't working in August despite results, but results picked up as performances dipped. Still not good enough for some and obviously not for the Chair and CEO.

Brian Caldwell stated that inconsistency was a problem, well yes, lower mid-table teams are inconsistent you bloody idiot. He also hinted that we rushed Askey's appointment, despite saying that he has on the club radar back in April.

The club is so full of shit.

Comment

Hmmm. I don't remember people deciding from day 1. He'd achieved quite a bit at Macclesfield on no money and the last gamble on a manager who was successful in the lower leagues worked out well, so I think there were high hopes. Most people were appalled at how the team was gutted and how key players left, but he wasn't blamed for that.

It's been a combination of poor tactics, poor performances, dropping players for no discernible reason, and not engaging with the fans in a way that would bring them onside. That last point is totally in his court and could have been put right. Management is as much about managing supporter expectations and relationships with the fanbase and he just didn't seem to be able to connect.

But then I've seen them win this season against Southend, who were top half at the time, with a decent performance which makes all the subsequent defeats harder to explain.

Possibly, he was always going to be the rebound guy and it was never going to work because he wasn't Paul Hurst.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X