Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oldest or Longest Serving Commentators Still Working?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oldest or Longest Serving Commentators Still Working?

John Helm - born 1942 - started out on Radio Leeds, did the 1974 Commonwealth Games for the BBC but had to wait until 1982 for World Cup opportunities (ITV back-up commentator, no live games, ITV's Tony Gubba). I remember him getting one bit of live action in Mexico 86 (from a studio) when the main commentator's feed was lost. Turns up on NZ and/or Canadian TV in the FIFA feed during World Cups.

Alan Parry - born 1948 - started out on Radio Merseyside, did the 1975 European Cup final on Radio 2. BBC TV back-up commentator in 1982 (Algeria v West Germany: "Oh it's a goal Belloumi!"). I'm not sure of his World Cup work these days but he is still employed by Sky according to Wiki.
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 30-05-2018, 22:23.

Martin Tyler was born in 1945 and made his commentary bow in 1974 for Southern Television.

I thought that Peter Brackley was still commentating but cannot find any record confirming that.

Comment

This is the hot content that keeps me coming back.

Jonathan Pearce commentated on his first Robot Wars in 1852, when Sergeant Bash was still a Lance Corporal. He memorably shouted CHANNEL FIVE, THE CHANNEL THAT BRINGS YOU ENGLAND GOALS! while commentating on an England game in the 1970s, long before Channel 5 had even been dreamt up, showing just how forward thinking a commentator he is.

He still commentates today, but is only a head in a jar, like Richard Nixon off of Futurama.

Comment

I don't know if Bill Rennells still commentates but he still does round ups of Didcot Town games on Radio Oxford which sound marinated in the hipflask.

He was born in 1931

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
          John Helm - born 1942 - started out on Radio Leeds, did the 1974 Commonwealth Games for the BBC but had to wait until 1982 for World Cup opportunities (ITV back-up commentator, no live games, ITV's Tony Gubba). I remember him getting one bit of live action in Mexico 86 (from a studio) when the main commentator's feed was lost. Turns up on NZ and/or Canadian TV in the FIFA feed during World Cups.

Alan Parry - born 1948 - started out on Radio Merseyside, did the 1975 European Cup final on Radio 2. BBC TV back-up commentator in 1982 (Algeria v West Germany: "Oh it's a goal Belloumi!"). I'm not sure of his World Cup work these days but he is still employed by Sky according to Wiki.
          Parry was covering the play-offs, certainly Lincoln v Exeter at least.

Comment

I'm pretty sure John Helm went to Mexico for ITV - he certainly covered Denmark v Uruguay, contributing the famous "the boy's a genius!" line about Michael Laudrup.

Comment

In Argentina I think it's Víctor Hugo Morales, born in 1947, who was getting big commentary gigs long enough ago that it's his voice you hear on the legendary Spanish-language commentary of Diego Maradona's second goal against England in 1986 (and of course on the commentary of the first goal as well, but those lines aren't as famous). I assume one reason he felt the need to go so poetically over the top was to endear himself to the nation, as he's actually Uruguayan. Not that it's a hard goal to sound impressed by, of course.

Anyway, he still does radio and TV shows, and I think he's going to the World Cup as a commentator.

Comment

Roddy Forsyth in Scotland?

Stuart Hall isn't dead, may be available ...

Comment

Prison radio nonce channel

Comment

John Helm goal commentaries for 2018 are on FIFA YouTube channel.

Comment

George Hamilton is a mere whippersnapper by comparison, appears he only began commentary in 1976:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George..._(broadcaster)

Comment

Jackie Fullerton was regularly on BBC NI this season. He is about 73

Comment

Today, John Helm is commentating on water polo at the world championships.

Comment

Originally posted by Arturo View Post
                            Martin Tyler was born in 1945 and made his commentary bow in 1974 for Southern Television.

I thought that Peter Brackley was still commentating but cannot find any record confirming that.
                            You’d be hard pressed to find any evidence of Peter Brackley still commentating given that he died a few years ago.

Further to other posts, John Helm was definitely at Mexico in 1986, he commentated on Scotland’s failure to break down Uruguay with a man advantage for 89 minutes.

Comment

Helm also stepped in when ITV lost its commentary link to the stadium in Mexico, and did some reporting between games.

Comment

Originally posted by kokamoa View Post
                                You’d be hard pressed to find any evidence of Peter Brackley still commentating given that he died a few years ago.
                                He passed on five months after that post was made.

Comment

Gerald Sinstadt died last year and retired from broadcasting a few years ago, but he carried on writing a column for the Stoke Sentinel until a few weeks before his 90th birthday. Hugh Johns retired in 1996, by which time he was 74.

It is a peculiarity, that broadcasters allow commentators to continue for so long after they pass their peaks, but they often do. Brian Moore, John Motson and Barry Davies were all well past theirs by the time they finally retired.

It didn't always used to be that way. I think Kenneth Wolstenholme was only just over 50 when he left the BBC because they wanted to give all the big games to David Coleman (Wolstenholme only did the 1971 FA Cup final after having to remind the BBC that he had a clause in his contract to do the FA Cup final every year).

Comment

John Helm Not-Dead-Watch ... he's currently commentating at the U-20 World Cup (men's) in Argentina.

He was the local reporter when Brian Clough was at Leeds.

Comment

Where?

Comment

BBC Radio Leeds

Helm will be 80 in July

Vin Scully was 89 when he retired from calling Los Angeles Dodgers ganes

Comment

Er, no, on what channel/feed is the commentator beloved by Rotherham United fans, John Helm, commentating?

Comment

He's doing the official FIFA feed. I only heard a brief clip of him on our local sports news (NZ beating Guatemala).

Comment

Helm was in Argentina in 1978 as a radio producer and stepped in to commentate on the 3rd place game, meaning he'll now have commentated in Argentina on global tournaments 45 years apart. Presumably a record for a European commentator there, unless Alan Parry, Gerry Harrison or Martin Tyler turn up as they were also there in 78, I believe.

Claims to have attended and/or worked on 5,500 matches, which would be over 100 a year if he started in 1970.

He's Vice-President of Bradford Park Avenue.
                                              Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 21-05-2023, 22:31.

Comment

No t to be a spoilsport, but I wonder if he is actually in Argentina, given the number of events called off of screens these days

Comment

There's an article in the Daily Mail saying he's there.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X