Hashtag United

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hashtag United

In an elaborate plot to make me feel old, a YouTube team has joined the Spartan South Midlands League Division 1 (Step 6).

They'll be playing in the New River Community Sports Centre on White Hart Lane or "Hashtag Arena" and are now my local club.

Much like when the Labour Party organised a music festival across the road from me, I can only view this as a deliberate provocation.

It does sound incredibly wanky. Also,

Their squad is a collection of guys who mostly have full-time jobs, but their digital influence individually and collectively has grown rapidly since the team's inception.
    Isn't 'rugby team' the proper collective noun for 'a collection of guys'?

Comment

Though it could be fun to see them get hammered 11.0 or kicked in the air by hungover psycho left fulls

Comment

Doubt there'll be many hungover players at step 6. tbf the lure of 300,000 YouTube subscribers is probably gonna attract the most ambitious players at that level.

Comment

Seems very gimmicky, in a MyFC sort of way, and no doubt filming their matches and associated guff will be accompanied by youtuber-style endorsements and money-grabbing.

Not that that athletic track setting will prove very atmospheric, and I imagine the near neighbours a stones throw away at Coles Park (also on White Hart Lane) will be raising a collective eyebrow.

Comment

Will they be wearing GoPros or similar and livestreaming a player's-eye-view of their matches?

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
              Though it could be fun to see them get hammered 11.0 or kicked in the air by hungover psycho left fulls
              Couple of subs and they could be back to 11.0.2 though

Comment

Other Spartan South Midlands League folks seem decidedly unimpressed at this and are noting that the proposed constitution has to be put to a vote of member clubs at the AGM. To my certain knowledge this can lead to changes to the composition of the league, so perhaps Hashtag United will serve to provide another example.

Comment

Originally posted by slackster View Post
                  Seems very gimmicky, in a MyFC sort of way, and no doubt filming their matches and associated guff will be accompanied by youtuber-style endorsements and money-grabbing.

Not that that athletic track setting will prove very atmospheric, and I imagine the near neighbours a stones throw away at Coles Park (also on White Hart Lane) will be raising a collective eyebrow.
                  Coles Park isn't the most atmospheric ground either, especially when Brimsdown - also of the SSML1 - are playing there.

Park View FC, who also play at the New River, also join SSML1 (via promotion from Step 7).

Comment

Their squad is a collection of guys who mostly have full-time jobs, but their digital influence individually and collectively has grown rapidly since the team's inception. Despite only forming two years ago, they've already played at Wembley Stadium and are travelling the world playing matches fit for online consumption.
                    It’s things like this that start to persuade you ISIS may have a point.

Comment

I’m hoping for a Million Ramos Moves Now against all these wanks. Leave no shoulder unpopped.

Comment

They're actually playing at Coles Park now

Comment

Come, friendly bombs, and all that.

Comment

Is it really such a bad thing?

Comment

I think my major query would be why are they not starting at step 7?

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate les bleus View Post
                                I think my major query would be why are they not starting at step 7?
                                I think there was a vacancy unfilled, step 6 is often the level where leagues struggle to get viable teams to fill them.

Can't say I get the hate for them, I'm more just a bit apathetic to them. Will be interesting to see if they get any crowds in real life.

Comment

I guess my problem with Hashtag United is that they're fundamentally a reality show rather than a football team (or rather, they're a vehicle for selling fizzy drinks and computer games to children).

As such, their primary interest (and financial rewards) lie in the content that they generate. Maybe they can do a "behind the scenes of a non-league football club" - but how long before the drive to create exciting content raises serious questions of sporting integrity? I can see it being potentially worth significant money to deliberately throw a game in order to set up a decisive showdown, for example.

This conflict of interest would be obvious if Sky Sports bought a Premier League club, for example.

Comment

Working...
                                  X