X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Andrea Pirlo

Pirlo.
    One of the best in my life time.
    Skill, grace, elegance, Vivaldi-like beauty in every touch of the ball.
    Not least free kicks.
    And those through passes!
    Read his autobiography if you haven't. It's short but beats the crap out of most other.
    Andrea Pirlo: I think therefore I play, is the title

As you can notice, I'm not a very skilful writer myself, to describe what is one of our authors of the modern football game. But he had his testimonial and everyone of significance was there. But the reason I am posting this is a clip. From after the game, where they are all so majestically plastered. Gattuso - our current coach - is holding the mic, then invites legend Ambrosini, and then they start to sing about Ill Capitano. Who can be only one. God himself Paolo Maldini.
    They are so happy drunk the lot of them.

I don't care anymore.
    Not what people think about it, how people mock it or what they feel about it. That we Milan are not contenders for crowns right now. I don't give a shite.
    I love this club so much I don't care if we drop down to Serie C or D. I will always follow it.
    I was still in school when it started, and I'm not that many years from reaching retirement. I've been in some quite long relationships which came and went, but Milan always remained.
    So, fuck it, this is the love I always can rely on.
    Last edited by Pietro Paolo Virdis; 23-05-2018, 00:03.

Everyone in England thought he was shite until he grew a beard ,then everyone thought he was mint. It was really weird. Like a facial hair Samson. No one gave a fuck about him, then all of a sudden the trendy football lads who wear Scandinavian outerwear and shop in Clas Ohlson (Hi!) and the nerdy lads who say things like regista started tenting their trunks over him just because he had a nice bit of bristle.

Some life though. Tossing about Italy drinking wine out of a massive glass, dinking a penalty over Joe Hart, then moving to New York to stroll through some bullshit approximation of football while mooching about Central Park with a massive scarf not being recognised. I'd do that if my beard was say, 15% lusher and my passing was 35% better.

"That we Milan are not contenders for crowns right now. I don't give a shite."

I get this, man. I should have been gutted after the cup final on Saturday, but it was such a good day, with some great people, that I couldn't bring myself to not be really happy.

Comment

Comment

Looks like he's wearing a Bane mask.

Comment

Pirlo was #21 in both Milan and the Italian squad.
          But he played like a ten.

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post

"That we Milan are not contenders for crowns right now. I don't give a shite."

I get this, man. I should have been gutted after the cup final on Saturday, but it was such a good day, with some great people, that I couldn't bring myself to not be really happy.
            I guess it's age. Not complaining too much about how things are today compared to the past, instead accepting how things are right now and dealing with it.
            Maybe this is who we are becoming?

And I don't mind that. I'd rather be the bloke in that picture than a hip hop graffiti on a wall.

Comment

I'd quite like to be hiphop graffiti. It's a snapshot. An expression of a culture and environment. Sadly I'm too old for this, and have no strong identity of my own. I suspect I'm a crudely drawn cock and balls in The Guardian, sprouting from the forehead of a photograph.

The old fella in your photo looks pretty cool. Weathered. Steely. Probably has callouses on his hands. "You got city hands Mr Hooper. Been counting money all your life." He smokes a pipe. Ties knots. What's he got to offer beyond that?

There's a stretch of pathway along the Irwell that's used as a community graffiti space. At the minute there's the usual tags, memorials for local youths who've died, and right now an RIP Anna Campbell, who died fighting for the Women's Protection Unit in Syria recently. I love walking along there. It's Manchester. It represents the people and the stories. And even if I don't understand most of them, I like to look.

Same in Hulme. All the names sprayed on the youth centre walls. All those names represent something. They mean something. I like that. I'd like to be a name on a wall.

None of this means anything. I'd like to see a fuller picture of that fella's jacket though.

Comment

You, EIM, you're a Banksy on a wall

Comment

Originally posted by Pietro Paolo Virdis View Post
                  Pirlo was #21 in both Milan and the Italian squad.
                  But he played like a ten.
                  I'm not sure whether Playmobil had flung enough money around to use specific players' details. We know in our hearts who this is though.

Comment

Originally posted by Pietro Paolo Virdis View Post
                    You, EIM, you're a Banksy on a wall
                    A two-dimensional caricature of a superficially understood liberal idea, expressed for the purposes of grandstanding only, offering no solution or change, reproduced for the capitalist mass markets, devaluing the original of all meaning and non financial value?

That's what I was afraid of.

Still. Buy my 2018 calendar.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                      I'm not sure whether Playmobil had flung enough money around to use specific players' details. We know in our hearts who this is though.
                      Yes

Comment

A two-dimensional caricature of a superficially understood liberal idea, expressed for the purposes of grandstanding only, offering no solution or change, reproduced for the capitalist mass markets, devaluing the original of all meaning and non financial value?

That's what I was afraid of.

Still. Buy my 2018 calendar.
                        I'll buy it as long as there are no firefighter-like-for-the-sake-of-charity nudes.

Comment

Buy my 2018 calendar.

Does it have integral goggles?

It can't be stated too often that Banksy is total rubbish, the artistic equivalent of being forced by threat of electrocution to chuckle at a mouldy 'Pope Smokes Dope' t shirt.

Comment

I think Banksy is... or rather was quite a genius. In how he dedicated himself to not reveal who he was.
                            Graffiti is so much exactly narcissism in more than one way, that it was brilliant he chose the specific expression to become anonymous.

But for proper graffiti, I always turn to this brilliant page.
                            http://www.picturesofwalls.com/gallery.asp

Comment

Well, popular though his work is, you would get locked up for graffiti in England if people knew who you were. So there was that, about his anonymity.

Comment

Have to say, while being overblown self-indulgent nonsense, that Pirlo testimonial game the other night was an absolute treat for calcio enthusiasts (or "football hipsters", as they are now known for some reason). Not sure what was more entertaining, Bobo Vieri's terrifying shirt-off celebration, or Pippo Inzaghi's desperate desire to score goals and still ruthless finishing when given the chance.

Comment

As befits a gerontocracy obsessed with appearance and artifice, no one does those matches as well as the Italians

Comment

I've probably mentioned it one thousand million times, but his no-look pass to Grosso in the Westfalenstadion is my favourite World Cup moment ever. With all the pressure and stress of the final minutes of extra time in a World Cup semi-final, he was as composed as an orchestra director.

He appeared in a similar state of mind as Iniesta scoring the goal in the final against Holland. Iniesta knew exactly what he was going to do and nobody was going to stop him. But Pirlo's moment was an assist, which makes it cooler.

Comment

Originally posted by antoine polus View Post
                                      But Pirlo's moment was an assist, which makes it cooler.
                                      The build-up is better than the goal? Is Wenger spending his retirement on here?

Comment

Originally posted by Jobi1 View Post
                                        Have to say, while being overblown self-indulgent nonsense, that Pirlo testimonial game the other night was an absolute treat for calcio enthusiasts (or "football hipsters", as they are now known for some reason). Not sure what was more entertaining, Bobo Vieri's terrifying shirt-off celebration, or Pippo Inzaghi's desperate desire to score goals and still ruthless finishing when given the chance.
                                        Or Gattuso with his foul not even two minutes in. In a testimonial. The man can't turn the engine off.
                                        Also, was quite a thing when Pirlo's son entered to play.
                                        Not that I've watched a lot of these games but only seen that once before. When in Glasgow at Henrik Larsson's and Jordan came in to take a penalty.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
                                          The build-up is better than the goal? Is Wenger spending his retirement on here?
                                          He's right you know. The assist and Grosso's Tardelliesque celebration afterwards is what makes that goal brilliant.

Comment

Matt Le Tissier's about seven year old kid played in his dad's testimonial. They contrived to give away a penalty so that he could score, and Ian "I'm great with kids, me, give us a TV presenter slot on CBBC!" moved the ball to the edge of the six yard box. The kids said "Bollocks", put it on the proper spot and absolutely blasted it in.

Le Tissier's brother was reffing for at least part of the game, and I think he had another brother somewhere too.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                                              Does it have integral goggles?

It can't be stated too often that Banksy is total rubbish
                                              You'd be wise not to venture opinions like that where I grew up.

I went to school with Pete Budd's daughter. Pete Budd, when crossed, makes Martin Lee look like Florence Nightingale. The "persuasion" thing he does with a ferret and a pair of secateurs is truly terrifying.

He's a big Banksy fan, Pete Budd.

Comment

Isn't Pirlo the same issue we discussed with Rui Costa, the death of the player who doesn't track back? Italy latterly had to surround him with enforcers in order for him to function.

Comment

Working...
                                                X