Adolf H., giving orders in Germany

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adolf H., giving orders in Germany

Eintracht Frankfurt's new coach is from Austria and goes by the name of Adolf Hütter. What were Herr and Frau Hütter thinking in 1970, naming their son Adolf. At any time since the death of another Austrian who went to Germany, naming a child Adolf has been less than ideal, even if your surname is Schmidt or (in Austria more likely) Katzenspülermaier. But if your surbame is Hütter, you really don't want to call your son Adolf, no matter how much you loved your dad.

Frankfurt's new Führer is commonly called Adi -- though even that is a giveway that your name probably is Adolf (or, I suppose, Adalbert).

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
    What were Herr and Frau Hütter thinking in 1970, naming their son Adolf.
    I think we can all guess the answer to that.

Comment

More to the point, what was he thinking, not getting his name changed?

Comment

Let's not forget Adolfo Valencia, Bayern Munich's Sturmführer in the early 1990s.

Comment

I used to have a work client called James Bond, who had been born between the releases of Thunderball and You Only Live Twice, so his parents could have been a bit more savvy. It was unbelievably tempting to say, "Ah Mr Bond, I've been expecting you," each time he called, but for the knowledge it would be the seventh or eighth time he had heard it that day, the count probably somewhere in five figures for the year to date.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
            "Ah Mr Bond, I've been expecting you,"
            Presumably his mother said this at his birth?

Comment

Worth noting that Hütter goes by "Adi"

Comment

I have a cousin called Vincent Price. He was born a quarter of a century after his namesake had made his film debut. My aunt, whose idea it was, was a thoughtless cow.

Comment

Similarly, an acquaintance of yore whose surname is 'Bennett' swore that he had a brother called 'Gordon', which - assuming he wasn't stitching me up - is arguably even worse than sharing a name with a celeb/character.

You just want to shoot the parents.

Comment

Adolf Hitler's brother, Alois, is buried less than a mile from where I'm currently standing. He changed his surname to Hiller as soon as he could.

A few years ago, I had a work colleague whose surname was Hiller. She was born about a mile from where I'm currently standing.

After she'd had a few at a works do, my former deskmate and I convinced her that Adolf Hitler was her second cousin. She got quite upset. I would have felt guilty about it, but she was rotten to work with.

Comment

There is a kid in our street who appears to be called (1st name) Shearer

Comment

My brother worked at the same time with a Tom Cruise,James Coburn and (Irish champion jockey) Barry Geraghty,this in a workplace of about 40 people

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
                          Adolf Hitler's brother, Alois, is buried less than a mile from where I'm currently standing. He changed his surname to Hiller as soon as he could.

A few years ago, I had a work colleague whose surname was Hiller. She was born about a mile from where I'm currently standing.

After she'd had a few at a works do, my former deskmate and I convinced her that Adolf Hitler was her second cousin. She got quite upset. I would have felt guilty about it, but she was rotten to work with.
                          Of course Alois famously worked in the Shelbourne Hotel.

Comment

I know a Richard Burton, but he's my age so was named that before the actor became a household name.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                              Worth noting that Hütter goes by "Adi"
                              As it was in the opening post.

Comment

Heh, heh. Frankfurt have just gone one up. Is this the cup final thread, by the way?

Comment

Working...
                                X