Wemberlee, Wemberlee - Weekend matchgoing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wemberlee, Wemberlee - Weekend matchgoing

Cricklewood Wanderers v CB Hounslow United Reserves - at Wembley FC's Vale Farm ground...

Sunday I'm going to Italy v England or Netherlands in the Under 17 Euros final at the New York.

Tuesday I'm at Bramall Lane for the Sheffield and Hallamshire Senior Cup final - Penistone Church v Shaw Lane. That should be my last game of the season, depending on when and if the NCEL League Cup final is rescheduled - it was meant to be at the same venue on Monday but was postponed earlier this week while they investigate whether Liversedge fielded an ineligible player in their semi final.

Comment

I’m at...er...Wembley itself for the Cup Final as mentioned on the dedicated thread. It would seem to be a fitting last domestic match of the season, which it probably will be though I do have half an eye on possibly blagging the Fulham v Villa play-off final.

Comment

Just back from Lyon, the Marseille fans were a lot quieter on the way back from the match than before it.

Going to the Vase/Trophy double-header at Wembley on Sunday. Had thought about going to the U17 Final, I went to several group games, but a local team (Brackley) being in the Trophy Final swung it.

Comment

Another trip to Yorkshire for Aberford Albion v Wyke Wanderers followed by rugby between Featherstone and Leigh.

Comment

Gah, the Wanderers' home game isn't here...

Comment

Nominative determinism par excellence, that.

Comment

Did the Knowsley Parkrun then missed the irrelevance by having a wander around the site of the Battle of Towton before heading off to Aberford. The Football ground is on the southern edge of the village and has a small covered stand, which wasn't required on a sunny day. An Aberford win in midweek had guaranteed promotion for today's visitors, Wyke Wanderers, an both teams seemed determined to enjoy themselves in the first half, with the score at the break being 2-2. However Aberford didn't turn up for the second half and Wyke were 5-2 up by the hour. A few minutes later an Aberford player was sent off for pushing an opponent. His team mates and manager were not impressed by this and seemingly gave the referee so much abuse that he decided to blow for full time early. I suspect the result will stand but that a few fines could be finding their way to Aberford.

After that I headed down to Featherstone. Post Office Road has a mix of stands but I spent most of the game watching from the remaining terrace, which is backed by a collage of photos and press cuttings from club history. Featherstone started well, scoring the first try but once Leigh got going they dominated and led 18-4 at half time. Featherstone were stronger again at the start of the second half, scoring one try and having a second disallowed, but again Leigh came back and extended the lead to 30-10. The home side threatened a comeback as they got things back to 30-20, but Leigh added a couple of late tries to secure a 42-20 win. Just under 3000 present with a good percentage from Leigh.

Comment

Italy 2-2 Netherlands; Netherlands win 4-1 on penalties

You might have watched this on telly, but if you didn't it was a lively affair. A tight first half where both teams were quick to close down leading to a lot of loose balls, though both sides had periods of pressure. The Dutch took the lead from a deflected shot early in the second half, then Italy scored twice in as many minutes with shots from outside the area. That looked as if it might be that until Brian Brobbey (who was born in 2002. 2002!) had a free tap in at the far post. It went straight to penalties and Italy missed their first two. Very enjoyable way to spend a warm early summer's evening.
                  Last edited by longeared; 20-05-2018, 21:09. Reason: So overcome by seeing a player born in 2002 I spelt his name wrong

Comment

Netherlands won all 3 knockout matches on penalties then.

The Vase / Trophy double-header was pretty good, other than the nearly 2 hours between games. Brackley equalised in the last minute of stoppage time, although they should have scored well before then, they then failed to score their first penalty, Bromley skied their 5th over the bar and hit the post with the first sudden death spot kick. The north bound train had plenty of seats with all the Bromley fans heading south and all the Brackley fans still in the stadium, so that was a bonus.

Comment

Bloomin' eck, so Bromley led into injury time, conceded, then missed a match point in the shootout?

Comment

Penistone Church 3-4 Shaw Lane (aet)

Fucking hell, what an absolute treat to close the season. Church led three times through sloppy defending and crisp finishes but let them slip. Lane scored what turned out to be the winner from an own goal early in extra time. Church were tiring badly but still had chances in the exciting finale. They saved a Lane penalty in the last minute of extra time, couldn't find an equaliser and on full time the crowd gave both sides a standing ovation. Probably the best of my 44 games this season, what an absolute pleasure to be there. Even though Shaw Lane won.

Comment

More playing than just going and not really on the week end but... finally made my full Old Trafford debut yesterday.
                          22 years since I last set foot on that pitch.

Last edited by Sash; 23-05-2018, 10:38.

Comment

I really hope you had a Liverpool top on under that monstrosity.

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate les bleus View Post
                              I really hope you had a Liverpool top on under that monstrosity.
                              I had to go with the Under Armour recently purchased from Mike Ashley World. I think I might be going straight to Hell.

In fact, I think after yesterday I now own more United kit than I've ever had Liverpool kit, like, in my life.

Comment

Working...
                              X