Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unorthodox techniques

Beppe Signori's penalty run-ups.
    For that matter, Socrates' lack of a penalty run-up.
    Arjen Robben's running style.

Any blatantly obvious ones I'm missing? Regarding the first two, I'm talking about what they did regularly (I think Simone Zaza's was a one-off).

There was that guy who played for Tranmere who launched throw ins. They moved the advertising hoardings for his run up. (Was he Dave Challinor? My memory is going.)

Comment

Ryan Guy's thrown-ins

Rene Higuita's scorpion kick save

Comment

The Korean player from the 2006 World Cup who ran on the spot before taking a corner. Can't remember who.

Edit: Lee Chun Soo. He did it for free kicks as well.
        Last edited by tee rex; 08-05-2018, 17:58.

Comment

The Blanco Bounce (or Cuauhtemiña):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G237cypBq8

Comment

Ferguson was right, Henderson does have a really strange gait.

Comment

Graham Alexanders penalty technique. Run straight forward so the keeper had no clue where the ball was going. Only missed one, I think.

Comment

Why don’t more people do that? Takes less stones than Socrates’ no run-up at all.

Comment

Originally posted by blameless View Post
                  The Blanco Bounce (or Cuauhtemiña):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G237cypBq8
                  Ah, thank you, I was trying to remember who did that.

Comment

Kerlon. The seal dribble. Or "how to piss off professional, journeyman defenders".

Comment

I know we've seen it done many, many times now, but... this.
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5Dl5jwMf6I

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                        There was that guy who played for Tranmere who launched throw ins. They moved the advertising hoardings for his run up. (Was he Dave Challinor? My memory is going.)
                        Yes - now manager of AFC Fylde.

Of an earlier Tranmere vintage was Dave Higgins, of whom it was said that 'he ran like he had a fart stuck'. Hard bastard though.

Comment

Almost everything Thomas Müller does on a football pitch is unorthodox.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                            Steve Watson was known to do this now and again. There's a clip of him doing it as a teenager around the turn of the 90s which enthralled me as a kid but I can't seem to find at the moment, so here he is doing it during Peter Beardsley's testimonial.

Comment

Risto Kallaste of Estonia was, I believe, the pioneer of the somersault throw-in. Here he is doing it against Italy in 1993.

NB. In my head I was convinced it was a player from San Marino that I'd seen do it on Trans World Sport or Football Italia, but Wikipedia pointed me to Kallaste.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                Graham Alexanders penalty technique. Run straight forward so the keeper had no clue where the ball was going. Only missed one, I think.
                                Amazing penalty-taker but he missed more than one. In 2013 (link below) I had him at 77/83, can’t remember where I got that figure though, possibly here.

I’ve actually written about Alexander a few times and underlined his unusual penalty-taking technique, eg below in August 2013 in a preview of the League Two season when your Graham was managing Fleetwood:

http://cahiersdufootball.net/blogs/t...ts-anglais-14/

Les prétendants à la montée

[…]

L’ambitieux Fleetwood Town a bien démarré, sous la houlette de l’ex international écossais Graham Alexander, 41 ans, le défenseur aux 1 000 matchs en championnat pro, de la D4 à la PL (et sublime tireur de pénalty, 77 réussis sur 83 - 92,7 % - et souvent de l’extérieur ! Seul Matt Le Tissier fit mieux : 48 sur 49. Frank Lampard est dans les temps de passage - 48 sur 55 -, ainsi que Rickie Lambert, 32 sur 32 à Southampton).
                                There’s a football programme in France called Téléfoot (on TF1, France’s biggest TV channel, very mainstream) and whileit used to be good when it started in the 1970s (they then had the rights to show the highlights of top-flight matches but not anymore, said rights now belong to Canal Plus CFC programme) it’s now mostly a pile of crottes. One of the many problems with Téléfoot is that they employ total "Footixes" (unknowledgeable football fans, the great unwashed of the football world) who talk an awful lot of bollocks.

Anyway, one day in their "World Football" section, they showed Graham Alexander taking one of his trademark penalties. Instead of praising him for his amazing technique and precision, the nescient commentator went: « Et maintenant, regardez ce joueur en Angleterre mettre son péno dans le soupirail… du pointu, quel sacré veinard ! » ("And now look at this player in England… toe-poking his penalty into the bottom corner, what a lucky devil!") While I’m sure that Alexander scored the odd pen with a toe-poke, this one wasn’t and the vast majority of the time he scored with the outside of the foot.

Comment

good god, Kerlon is retired at the age of 30. His career was a fucking right vale of tears.

Comment

Working...
                                  X