Twenty years ago today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Twenty years ago today

Bury won 1-0 at QPR and stayed up in the second tier, at the expense of Manchester City who were relegated to the third tier despite winning 5-2 at Stoke.

If I've not got my seasons confused I was in the away end at Maine Road the previous weekend when QPR secured their survival with a 2-2 draw. Georgi Kinkladze scored a cracker for City but the goal of the game was the OG from Jamie Pollock(?) which resulted in him finishing second in an online poll of the time asking for the most significant figures of the 20th Century.

Neil Ruddock threw his boots into the crowd at the end of the game, one of which landed in my lap. I gave it to a kid sitting in front of me.

Comment

In one of those strange quirks of memory, I remember that I was sanding down a door frame while listening to Man City getting relegated that day.

Comment

And Carlisle were relegated from the third to fourth tier, so we missed out on the fun of Man City and Stoke being in the third tier.

We started and ended the season badly, but had a decent run in mid season, and the 5-0 defeat of (Neville Southall's) Southend in January was one of the best performances I've seen at Brunton Park.

It was also the year I made a bit of an effort to tick off new grounds - Plymouth, Wrexham, Chesterfield, Bristol City, Fulham and Luton all got cleared (I revisited a couple later) for the grand total of one point out of 18. Fulham in particular was dismal, our former hero Peter Beardsley running the show from the centre circle, Paul Peschisolido scoring a hat-trick and getting subbed early to rest him, and a long coach ride back from London on Easter Monday.

We lost nine out of the last ten games, so relegation was confirmed before 3 May. We kept sinking and a year and a few days later Jimmy Glass arrived in the penalty area....but we'll maybe cover that this time next year.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
          In one of those strange quirks of memory, I remember that I was sanding down a door frame while listening to Man City getting relegated that day.
          Ever wondered if some of that dust might have affected your lungs?

Comment

The culmination of a love-hate relationship with Burnley saw them win the winner stays up clash at Turf Moor. A horrible, violent day and one of the very few Argyle memories I try and keep blank from my mind. Seats wre broken and coins were thrown and I'm not at all proud of it.

Comment

Twenty years ago yesterday I was watching (and occasionally going on the pitch to interrupt) what I, and most people present, presumed to be Doncaster Rovers last ever match as a football club.

Comment

1998 was a weird year.

Comment

Originally posted by Uroš Predić View Post
                  Twenty years ago yesterday I was watching (and occasionally going on the pitch to interrupt) what I, and most people present, presumed to be Doncaster Rovers last ever match as a football club.
                  That thread on Twitter about Donny's 97/98 was gobsmacking.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenlander View Post
                    The culmination of a love-hate relationship with Burnley saw them win the winner stays up clash at Turf Moor. A horrible, violent day and one of the very few Argyle memories I try and keep blank from my mind. Seats wre broken and coins were thrown and I'm not at all proud of it.
                    Sunday Times football reporter John Aizlewood went to a match at all 92 clubs in 97/98 for his book Playing At Home, and this was the one he went to at Turf Moor. His account reads like something from the front line.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                      and the 5-0 defeat of (Neville Southall's) Southend in January was one of the best performances I've seen at Brunton Park.
                      Neville Southall never managed Southend. Alvin Martin was manager in 1998, one of the worst managers we've ever had.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenlander View Post
                        I was a student at Plymouth university at the time and went to watch Exeter City at home wearing my Burnley scarf. I got mobbed by loads of Exeter fans after the game and several bought me a drink in a local pub. I didn't know about the problems at Burnley until you mentioned it just now, but nothing surprises me to be honest. Both Argyle and Burnley have a moronic following and I try to avoid both.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul S View Post
                          Neville Southall never managed Southend. Alvin Martin was manager in 1998, one of the worst managers we've ever had.
                          I didn't say he did, he was in goals that day and it was a reasonably big deal at the time that Neville Southall was coming to Brunton Park, and an even bigger deal that Carlisle put five past him. A couple of years later we put five past Torquay when he was playing for them, but only (I think) three went past him as he got sent off.

Comment

It was toxic on both sides.

About five years previous a load of us had been quite friendly with simlar minded lads from Burnley. We played a couple of friendly games (I'm still bitter about rounding the keeper and having it disallowed for offside by one of our own) and even a tour of Turf Moor allowing some of us to recreate the Kicker Conspiracy video, but things soured in the playoffs a couple of years later with some horrible racist abuse by a sizeable proportion at Home Park as John Fancis tore us a new one. The relegation game was probably the natural culmination of everything that had gone before.

Chumbawamba played in Plymouth a few times during this period and yer man from the band always took delight in reminding us of it.
                            Last edited by Greenlander; 03-05-2018, 14:30.

Comment

Twenty years ago yesterday I was at Horsham 0-1 Wivenhoe Town, a meaningless end of season match for both clubs.

Comment

Spurs won 6-2 at Wimbledon - thanks largely to a four-goal haul from Jürgen Klinsmann - thereby ensuring PL survival after one of the stinkiest seasons that I can recall.

Peter Fear scored both of their goals: the only other fact I know about him is that he's won Ken Bruce's Popmaster quiz twice.

Comment

20 years ago this weekend I was shouting abuse at a lacklustre Thistle team who were losing a relegation 6-pointer at home to Ayr United and consigning themselves to the third tier as a result.

My dad used to get annoyed and tell me off for swearing at the football, but Thistle were so wretched that day that not only did he not rebuke me, once or twice he joined in.

The only Thistle player who looked like he cared that day was goalkeeper Lindsay Hamilton, who was a loanee from Queen's Park, which sums it all up perfectly: the amateur with no ties to the club was trying harder than the professionals who were actually on our books.
                                  Last edited by blameless; 03-05-2018, 15:12.

Comment

Spurs won 6-2 at Wimbledon - thanks largely to a four-goal haul from Jürgen Klinsmann

Until you mentioned that, I had completely forgotten that Klingfilm came back for a second spell at White Hart Lane.

Comment

Yep, then-Chairman Alan Sugar had to eat a fair bit of humble pie, having previously suggested that he'd not even use a Klinsmann-signed Spurs shirt to clean his car.

Comment

I was watching Cardiff City draw 0-0 with Darlington in Division Four. This was the 23rd draw of the season (exactly half of our games) which either equaled or broke the Football League record at the time.

I was match ball sponsor and chose 17 year old Rob Earnshaw to present me with the ball signed by the squad. There was a photo of him doing so with my brothers, Dad and I dwarfing him that I wish I hadn't lost in the intervening years.

The highlight of the actual game was either Craig Middleton or Lee Phillips getting sent off late on. There were around 2,600 there.

Cardiff finished 19th in the bottom tier that season, Darlington one place above them and Swansea one place below.

Happy days.

Comment

Hang on, twenty years ago today was a Sunday - all of these games must have been twenty years ago yesterday?

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                            Hang on, twenty years ago today was a Sunday - all of these games must have been twenty years ago yesterday?
                                            The game referred to by Giggler was in the second division and was, with all other games in the division, played on the Sunday. My team was also in action that day, clinching promotion by beating Oxford, the third time that happened.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                              I was watching Cardiff City draw 0-0 with Darlington in Division Four. This was the 23rd draw of the season (exactly half of our games) which either equaled or broke the Football League record at the time.

I was match ball sponsor and chose 17 year old Rob Earnshaw to present me with the ball signed by the squad. There was a photo of him doing so with my brothers, Dad and I dwarfing him that I wish I hadn't lost in the intervening years.

The highlight of the actual game was either Craig Middleton or Lee Phillips getting sent off late on. There were around 2,600 there.

Cardiff finished 19th in the bottom tier that season, Darlington one place above them and Swansea one place below.

Happy days.
                                              Twenty-two years ago tomorrow, Bury beat Cardiff 3-0 and won promotion from Division Three. We needed Darlington to either lose or draw against Scunthorpe as part of the mathematics and their game kicked-off after ours. We invaded the pitch at Gigg and waited for five long minutes to find out that Scunthorpe had held Darlo to a 3-3 draw.

Comment

20 years ago City finished their first season under the management of Mark Hateley absolutely bloody thankful that the utter shitshow at Doncaster meant that the threat of relegation was never a serious one. There were some amazing games (7-4 vs Swansea, 4-5 vs Rotherham) and what's generally termed as the worst City display in their history in losing 1-0 at Belle Vue (although some have given this season's defeat at the Stadium of Light equal billing). We even did a bit of giant killing in the League Cup as we saw off Crystal Palace over 2 legs, only to be slayed ourselves in the FA Cup by Hendnesford Town. We mainly recruited players associated with Rangers and Sheffield United, with the fat arses of Kevin Gage and Glyn Hodges waddling around Boothferry Park, although when he could be bothered Hodges was way better than any other player in the league. We even had David Rocastle on loan, and after a blinding debut, had lumps kicked out of him by the rest of the division.

It was also our first season under the ownership of David Lloyd, but that's a whole different story..........

Comment

20 years ago today: Arsenal crowned Premiership champions

Comment

Working...
                                                  X