I'm impressed 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm impressed 2

It starts with an amateur historian, Luigi La Rocca. He was on the hunt for Herbert Kilpings grave for years. Trying to find the resting place of a man who moved from Nottingham due to a job offer then founded AC Milan. Kilpin died 1916 under uncertain circumstances was then forgotten - there are claims he smoked like a Pennsylvanian chimney and drank booze like an Alabaman moonshiner - which might be a fair historical account. But at only 46 he died and was lost as far as records goes. No one knew where his grave was, until La Rocca found it at the municipal cemetery in Milano. Kilping has since then been moved to Famedio where all the most famous of Milan rest in... pieces.

1999, when Milan celebrated their Cento, they built a monument for the lad from Nottingham who based the shirt of Milan on those Notts County wore when he left England for Italy.

Forward a bit. Not many months ahead of the day when it would be 100 years since Kilpin died, a Robert Nieri decides to release a book about Kilpin.

And now things start to happen.

The book is released. In Nottingham, one of the bus lines is named after Kilpin. The house where he grew up in Nottingham is restored, painted red and black on the outside, a Milan crest is put up, inside there is a mural of Kilpin.

And then, a group of people decide they will crowdfund a documentary about the man who might very well be the founding father of Italian football, for sure AC Milan.

That documentary has already been shown in Nottingham and London but not yet available digitally, because it's been booked by several film festivals, among them Robert de Niro's Tribeca which started on the 18th April and ends tomorrow.

I'm impressed. And now I love Nottingham even more.

The bus

The house where he lived, front the now bus stop

Inside that house

That book

And that documentary I want to see, pronto
    Last edited by Pietro Paolo Virdis; 28-04-2018, 23:04.

Nice to see you here PPV, you've been missed.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
      Nice to see you here PPV, you've been missed.
      Oh. not so much.
      Not with my roller coaster temper. which with age is suddenly becoming mellow.
      I fucking shed a tear at the end of rom-com's these days.

But I have to visit Nottingham now.
      That's how pathetic I've become, that I have a bucket list and visit Nottingham is on top of it now.
      Even though my childhood involves watching the odd game from England every Saturday on Swedish television in the 80's, when Forrest were brilliant.

Notts County have been dear for a long time. I knew about the connections Milan way before and check up on them once in a while. Except that one year when Sven-Göran Eriksson turned good coach into virus clinging onto everything while he focused more on banging, and it started with Notts County. I neglected them then.

Comment

Good to see you back, PPV.

Forgive my ignorance, but where do Juventus fit in? I thought they were the main Notts County influenced Italian team.

Comment

Nice to see you back PPV - although my own forays are only slightly less sporadic. On a completely unrelated note, I'm intrigued by your biscuit description!

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
            Good to see you back, PPV.

Forgive my ignorance, but where do Juventus fit in? I thought they were the main Notts County influenced Italian team.
            Thanks

As for this, I think the mentor and burning bush of OTF is more suitable to answer it than I can. Him being ursus.
            I know of no story regarding Notts County and Juventus, beyond that they share the same stripes.
            With all due respect to Notts County, and your question, I don't give a shit where Juventus got their colours from.
            My conviction is that Juventus got their stripes from Lucifer himself, and nothing else.

Ursus will sort us out.

Comment

Juventus got their black and white striped kit from Notts County after they decided to abandon the pink jerseys they had started out with.

One of their then current members was English, and asked Notts County (for whom he may have played previously) for a set of shirts, which they provided.

All subsequent connections between the two clubs (prestige friendlies and the like) stem from that initial contact.

PPV may be amused by the fact that the player in question (usually called John Savage, but whose actual name was Gordon Thomas Savage) made his Juventus debut against Milan in a game that the Rossoneri won by a score of 3-2.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                Juventus got their black and white striped kit from Notts County after they decided to abandon the pink jerseys they had started out with.

One of their then current members was English, and asked Notts County (for whom he may have played previously) for a set of shirts, which they provided.

All subsequent connections between the two clubs (prestige friendlies and the like) stem from that initial contact.

PPV may be amused by the fact that the player in question (usually called John Savage, but whose actual name was Gordon Thomas Savage) made his Juventus debut against Milan in a game that the Rossoneri won by a score of 3-2.
                Rings a gigantic bell. From here and that you have shared it before.
                The last part was new to me.

Comment

The last bit was the product of recent research.

I find it amusing.

Savage also played a match for an Italian national selection (against Switzerland) despite never having had Italian citizenship.

Comment

Thanks ursus. Now to my next question - do ac Milan still have a cricket club?

Comment

Not for over a century.

Though there are cricket clubs in Milano, one of which ursus minor played for (in the U14s). The vast majority of players for all of the Milanese (and indeed Italian) cricket clubs are expats, primarily Sri Lankans.

On the other hand, Genoa Cricket and Football Club still has a Cricket section (also dominated by expats and bereft of funding from the football section).
                      Last edited by ursus arctos; 29-04-2018, 01:19.

Comment

Originally posted by Jorge Porbillas View Post
                        Nice to see you back PPV - although my own forays are only slightly less sporadic. On a completely unrelated note, I'm intrigued by your biscuit description!
                        Christ!

Hold on, I have one?

Regardless, all I can say is that Swedish such rock and British would be knocked out in a quarter final every time if them two were to face off.

Comment

If you come to Nottingham, you’ll want to have a drink in this pub.

http://thekilpin.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by cantagalo View Post
                            If you come to Nottingham, you’ll want to have a drink in this pub.

http://thekilpin.co.uk/
                            Without doubt.
                            I've never been to England but am planning to. To Nottingham.

Comment

Originally posted by Pietro Paolo Virdis View Post
                              Without doubt.
                              I've never been to England but am planning to. To Nottingham.
                              When you do, give me and Al Needham a shout.

Comment

Originally posted by cantagalo View Post
                                When you do, give me and Al Needham a shout.
                                Are you on Facebook?
                                Now I checked and you are.
                                ZK has sent a request.

Comment

Working...
                                X