Scottish Manager of the Year 2017/18.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scottish Manager of the Year 2017/18.

This is probably the first thread I've started in many years but I think it's quite an interesting topic with a much larger list of deserving candidates than normal.

1. Saint Brendan of Celtic. About to complete a world first double treble while playing attractive football and competing, er, turning up in the Champs League. However, there is a wider financial gap between them and the rest of Scottish football than between PSG and Celtic so my mum could probably do well there although there is Ronnie Deila to consider.

2. Jack Ross St Mirren. Has taken the Saints from the brink of relegation last season to romping quickly and comfortably to promotion to the top tier this year. An amazing turnaround that has had Chief Exec Tony Fitzpatrick comparing him favourably to Siralex.

3. Steve Robinson Motherwell. Has taken Motherwell to two cup finals this year on a shoestring budget. His players will be on around one fifteenth of Celtic's and probably less than a quarter of Aberdeen's players money and crowds of under 5,000. If they win the Scottish cup he must be a contender and with their mix of thuggery, effective tactics and astute finishing, could well do it. (I really hope so causing St B to fuck off to Arsenal and giving someone else a chance). And all this on top of losing their stand out player Ted Moult. Apparently there's more cash in double glazing that playing for 'Well.

4. Stevie Clark Killie. Has utterly and miraculously transformed Kilmarnock since arriving in October last year. Played Ayrshire Juniors for Beith so is hard as nails. I wondered why he stepped down so far to Killie having been suuccesful in the English Premier but he is a Killie fan. Until Aberdeen Aberdeen beat them last week (and Aberdeen have the hoodoo on them) they'd won 6 league games in a row. Rangers haven't managed that in a long, long time in the top div. Since arriving he's won 16 (including two wins & two draws v Old Firm) and Killie hadn't won at home since the Liberals were last in power before the coming of Stevie. He won't win it because he hasn't actually won anything but that kind of form from the start of the season would have got Killie second place.

Neil Lemnon Hibs. Has taken newly promoted Hibs to within 3 points of 'best of the rest' and may yet still do it. Arguably that would be more impressive than Celtic winning the league.

Anyone else? If Celtic win the Scottish Cup and Rangers/Aberdeen are runners up then Robinson & Lemnon fall away but if either, or both, reach their respective goals then I would argue they are both contenders. Celtic are streets ahead of the opposition in terms of money & quality but a double treble is hugely impressive and Saint B is a top class coach. Nobody else has come close but if they don't win the Cup I'd argue one of the others deserves Manager of the year.

Rodgers and Ross have done well, but this has to be Clarke by a margin. Killie were dugshit before he took over (proper 12th-place candidates), but if they keep him - and he keeps this upward trajectory going - then they'll be keeping one of Aberdeen or Rangers out of the European places next season.

Comment

Working...
    X