Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Final Wembley - Weekend Matchgoing

Wembley v Leighton Town.

I have to be in Manchester for work on Saturday evening so have taken the (almost certainly ill-advised) decision to go up early for Wigan v Wimbledon. The Latics will be celebrating promotion and going for the D3 title so have cut admission prices accordingly to attract a big crowd. As a friend said to me, "That sounds like a great afternoon watching Wimbledon getting hammered while nervously checking other results on your phone". Still, it's a new ground.

Sunday lunchtime I'll be at the Millennium Stadium with my Dad, Mum and one brother to see my hometown rugby club Porthcawl play at the national stadium for the first time in their history. It's in the WRU National Bowl Final against Pembroke, the first of a triple header of finals for the amateur and semi-pro levels of the game in Wales. The game seems to have caused an understandable stir in the town, given the club play at the seventh tier of the national system and have been even lower in recent years but always used to punch above their weight in cups in the amateur era, pulling of a few shock results.

The other finals are Nant Conwy v Brynmawr in the Plate and Newport v Merthyr in the Cup, the latter of which looks quite tasty so I may hang around for one or both of them.
    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 26-04-2018, 16:58.

Comment

Oldham Athletic vs TheLikesOfDoncaster

New ground / chance to catch up with a good friend in Manchester hopefully making up for the lower-end third tier shithousery that the game itself will inevitably be.

Might see you at Euston RdG.

Comment

Boro v Millwall on Saturday tea-time. A win means we get one of the don't-deserve-to-go-up play-off slots. Earlier results might mean a draw will, effectively, be enough.

Comment

Going to Bury Town against Haringey Borough.

Bury Town was voted "Bostik North Away Ground of the Year Season 2016/17" so my expectations are set high.

Bury have nothing to play for, Haringey are placed third in a four way race for automatic promotion.

Comment

Barnsley v Brentford

We'll lose heavily and the crowd will turn against the players.

Comment

I'm going to Maltby Main v Pontefract Collieries. They are hoping to break the record for most dogs at a game. Afterwards I may go to Doncaster Rovers Belles v London Bees.

Comment

Burnley vs Brighton. If things fall the right way, that Europa League place could be confirmed.

OTOH, Hughton will be coming for a draw.

Comment

Barry Town v Carmarthen. Last regular game of the season. Barry will be playing in a play off to try and get a Europa League slot. Don't know who they will be playing in that but it's likely to be away.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Casper View Post
                    Barnsley v Brentford

We'll lose heavily and the crowd will turn against the players.
                    Me too. I think Cardiff’s fuck-up at Derby has blown our play-off chances but both teams have to win and Barnsley won’t be parking the bus like they did at Griffin Park. I’m hoping this works in our favour.

I really don’t want to see Barnsley relegated but I fear both our seasons will end in disappointment.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                      Sunday lunchtime I'll be at the Millennium Stadium with my Dad, Mum and one brother.
                      I am bloody here, you know.

Will sign off the season tomorrow at Twerton Park with a satisfactory end to the season. Just missed out on this weird play-off place that would have been undeserved but we have had a couple of 5 goal wins at home. The kids from my school are there on a special community outreach deal so will have to be uncharacteristically sober(-ish). Then, on Sunday, off to the Millennium with Mum, Dad and little brother to see the mighty Seaweeds

Comment

Barry Town 1 v 0 Carmarthen Town

This was the 5th time I've seen Barry play this season and the first time I've seen them win. They have improved a lot since strengthening the squad at the turn of the year when the league split in two. Carmarthen weren't bad and had chances including hitting the bar. They also had a nice blue and white striped Argentina style away kit.

The singing was great and definitely worth going along for. As Barry are in the play off for the Europa League spot now, the vocal section sang the Final Countdown at the end. Do do do, do, do do do do do, do do do, do, do do doooo, do do doooo, do do do do do do dooooooooooooooo, IT'S THE SEMI FINAL!

They still don't know who they will play in the semi final. It might be Bala but it could be Cardiff Met, in which case I might go.

Comment

... and Barnsley won’t be parking the bus like they did at Griffin Park.

We did at Forest. Even when we were two goals down.

Comment

Probably Barnsley's only realistic chance is to hit them on the break. A draw might take the slow torture all the way to next Saturday's games, given that I fancy Burton to beat Bolton, which might also take a little sting out of the fans' anger (better to confirm relegation in an away defeat that a home one).

Infact if Burton beat Bolton, Barnsley technically won't go down today, although they'd be 95% dead.

Would also help us if Derby confirmed their play-off spot today and maybe rested players next week. All this is straw-clutching obviously as we are crap and really need to go down to be taught a lesson in how not to be a selling club.
                            Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 28-04-2018, 13:08.

Comment

St Patrick's athletic 2 Bohemian fc 2, happy to take a draw from this one after going behind for the 14th game out of 15 this season (we haven't opened the scoring yet) and going two down after two minutes of the second half a red card for Pats made all the difference, we bossed the play after that and pulled one back after 72 minutes and despite the pressure looked like it would be another moral victory but physical defeat until Kevin Devaney forced a cross home in the 94th minute ,of our 13 points this year so far we've won 8 in injury time. I'd be happy with a handy and uneventful 2.0 win against Waterford on Monday but I'm not holding my breath

Comment

Rumours in the bar that the Leighton players are stuck on the M1 on the wrong side of an accident...

Comment

Late kick off, quarter past three. Which league club used to kick off at quarter past three?

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                    Late kick off, quarter past three. Which league club used to kick off at quarter past three?
                                    Have a feeling it was Aldershot.

Comment

Eighteen minutes past kick off. Leighton have brought some singing fans. Hadn't realised that it was allowed and this level...

Oh, and we've had a delay for fox shit clean up...

Comment

Chest high foot from the Town keeper results in a Wembley injury and a drop ball. #GoalkeepersGetAwayWithMurder

Comment

Leighton Town take the lead.

Comment

Brighton time wasting from the 10th minute. Visitors have been the better side but Ryan made several big saves.

Booing Gaetan Bong seems to be getting to him.

Comment

Kayal is heading for a thumping mind.

Comment

HT Horsham 0-3 Whyteleafe

Predictive text got the score correct as soon as I typed the zero. Definitely on for the 100% losing record of matches we've seen this season (five from five).

Progress on the formerly mythical New Ground is on schedule and with a bit of luck it may be hosting HFC home games early in 2019.

Comment

Another defensive fuck up and it's 0-2.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X