Ups & Downs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
    I just independently stumbled across the same tweet, and figured there must be a mention somewhere in this thread. Here it is for posterity: https://twitter.com/mark_nbfc/status/987793368477585409Trinity were both elected to the League and demoted from it by failing to win re-election, so had never once gone up or down via promotion or relegation on the field in their 145 years.
    Morecambe's record of never having been relegated continues.

I heard that Hendon have never been promoted - is that true?

Comment

Yes. They moved from the Athenian league to the Isthmian League in 1963, along with Hitchin, Wealdstone and Enfield. They've moved neither up, down, nor sideways ever since.

Comment

And there's the 0-0 that suits them both, celebrations all around. This will be Coventry's first ever place in a playoffs – which sounds amazing until you consider they were in the top flight for the first 15 years or so that the playoffs existed, and have basically been unremittingly useless since. I'm sure I remember hearing the other year that they hadn't had a finishing position in single digits since something like 1996. This is going to be a whole new adventure for them.
        First top six finish since 1970.

2016 was Coventry's first single digit finish since 2006, which was itself the first since 1989.

Comment

Colin's only gone and got the record for most football league promotions as a manager.

Comment

The Premier League has lost Arsene Wenger and “gained” Neil Warnock, how very Brexit.
            Last edited by Ray de Galles; 06-05-2018, 21:52.

Comment

Originally posted by Southport Zeb View Post
              First top six finish since 1970.

2016 was Coventry's first single digit finish since 2006, which was itself the first since 1989.
              Amazing. Thanks for straightening out my guesswork there SZ.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                The Premier League has lost Arsene Wenger and “gained” Neil Warnock, how very Brexit.
                We're all going to be chewing on Colin's Shit Sandwich https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colin%27s_Sandwich

Comment

You'll all be delighted to hear that Sleeping Giant Cahir Park hammered Lattin Cullen 5-0 to return to the top division of the Tipperary South District league.

Comment

This will be Coventry's first ever place in a playoffs – which sounds amazing until you consider they were in the top flight for the first 15 years or so that the playoffs existed, and have basically been unremittingly useless since.
                    Though the play-offs did included one side from the higher league and three from the lower for the first two seasons of existence (or more accurately revival as the Football League had used them nearly a century before). Given Coventry's penchant for escaping relegation from the top flight by the finest possible margin at the time, it's slightly surprising that they didn't finish one spot above automatic relegation and then battle through the play-offs to stay up.

Comment

North West Counties League this afternoon - Widnes promoted from the Premier Division. Maine Road and AFC Liverpool both relegated. Silsden are first division champions. I watched them get relegated two years ago to the day so feel quite pleased by that.

Comment

West Brom relegated without playing. I really thought they might stay up as the Swansea-Southampton game dragged on at 0-0.

Swansea have to win and hope Southampton lose on the final day, and overturn an 8 goal difference otherwise they're down. Carvalhal's momentum ran out too soon.

Comment

I think Swansea’s chief hope is Huddersfield losing both remaining games.

Comment

Yeah, it’s pretty obvious that Southampton’s game is all but irrelevant to Swansea. Unfortunately, I think the sequence of results they need is unlikely, Huddersfield look better set up get a point in one of their remaining games than Swansea do to beat Stoke.
                            Last edited by Ray de Galles; 09-05-2018, 07:24.

Comment

Originally posted by HORN View Post
                              I think Swansea’s chief hope is Huddersfield losing both remaining games.
                              My prediction record is about 0%, but still, I think that's a fair bet. When the fixtures came out, Huddersfield's survival prospects always looked likely to depend on who had what to play for come the end. Chelsea now have plenty, and as for Arsenal - sentiment or beach, take your pick.

Comment

That amused and depressed me in equal measure.

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                                  My prediction record is about 0%, but still, I think that's a fair bet. When the fixtures came out, Huddersfield's survival prospects always looked likely to depend on who had what to play for come the end. Chelsea now have plenty, and as for Arsenal - sentiment or beach, take your pick.
                                  It’s immaterial if Swansea fail to beat Stoke, which seems to be the likely outcome.

Comment

In the Southern Counties East League, Punjab United and K Sports go up from Division One to the Premier, replacing Rochester United and Rusthall.

Gravesend-based Punjab only came up to Division One last season, so it's a second successive promotion for them; whilst K Sports (formerly Aylesford Paper Mills) have only had three seasons at this level, before continuing upwards.

Both promotions also back up my belief that the SCEFL is the most laissez faire of the Step 5-6 Leagues when it comes to ground-grading.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                                      Though the play-offs did included one side from the higher league and three from the lower for the first two seasons of existence (or more accurately revival as the Football League had used them nearly a century before). Given Coventry's penchant for escaping relegation from the top flight by the finest possible margin at the time, it's slightly surprising that they didn't finish one spot above automatic relegation and then battle through the play-offs to stay up.
                                      See, I find this revelation slightly surreal as I just missed out on it at the time – I started following football in the 1988-89 season, which I think might've been the first season with the 'normal' playoffs as we known them – and it's basically never been mentioned since. I surely must have heard about it a time or two before now, but if so I've always completely forgotten again. For what it's worth, Coventry were solidified as an upper-midtable sort of outfit in Division 1 by the time I came in, 7th-10th placed finishes, so I don't think they'd have been in danger of being caught up in those 'higher v lower' playoffs.

Comment

I've said it before on here: five clubs were relegated during the two seasons with relegation involved in the play-offs; all five were promoted immediately, three as champions.

Comment

Originally posted by Kryvbas Gripper Rih View Post
                                          I heard that Hendon have never been promoted - is that true?
                                          Sadly this is still true...

Comment

See, I find this revelation slightly surreal as I just missed out on it at the time – I started following football in the 1988-89 season, which I think might've been the first season with the 'normal' playoffs as we known them – and it's basically never been mentioned since. I surely must have heard about it a time or two before now, but if so I've always completely forgotten again. For what it's worth, Coventry were solidified as an upper-midtable sort of outfit in Division 1 by the time I came in, 7th-10th placed finishes, so I don't think they'd have been in danger of being caught up in those 'higher v lower' playoffs.

Am I right in recalling that the aggro in and around Stamford Bridge after the 1988 D1 Relegation/promotion play-off between Chelsea and Boro finished off that format?

Comment

Am I right in recalling that the aggro in and around Stamford Bridge after the 1988 D1 Relegation/promotion play-off between Chelsea and Boro finished off that format?
                                              From that article, football inflation watch:

He said at the time: “I’ve never known fear like it. Not for myself but for people with wives and child who have paid seven pounds for a seat to keep away from trouble.”

Comment

This seems apt - Stop fretting about relegation. Instead, embrace it…

No-one has a deathless, existential “what’s the point of doing this?” crisis in lower leagues, the way sides that constantly end up 17th to 7th in the Premier League do when merely surviving is the first and only soul-destroying objective.

The only real thing to worry about is if those running the club are financially irresponsible and threaten the club’s very existence. Some do. And why? Because they swallow the ‘best league in the world’ propaganda whole, they splurge too much cash trying to stay in the Premier League (like Sunderland paying Jack Rodwell £70k a week), hypnotised by its supposed glamour and the big money (which price inflation merely evaporates, anyway).

In other words, the threat of relegation is only a threat because of those who over-believe in the value of Premier League status in the first place. These are the same imprudent incontinent cash cretins who sack low paid, minimum wage staff when relegated, but keep on players who earn thousands without doing anything of note. This isn’t an argument in favour of being afraid of relegation, it is an argument for owners and directors to be sensible and stop sucking down all this Premier League propaganda.
                                                Last edited by Ray de Galles; 09-05-2018, 12:24.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                                                  From that article, football inflation watch:

He said at the time: “I’ve never known fear like it. Not for myself but for people with wives and child who have paid seven pounds for a seat to keep away from trouble”
                                                  I was at the game- think it was £4 or £4 50 in the Shed that season. Chelsea was the most expensive ground in the country to stand, then and for long afterward

Comment

the real horror is staying in the same division you were in the previous season imo

Comment

Working...
                                                    X