Ups & Downs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ups & Downs

A place to list promotions and relegations - I’m sure this probably isn’t the first of the season but Lewes formally clinched progression from Isthmian South to Premier. Wonderful for a fantastic, fan-owned club with a lovely, idiosyncratic ground to be on the up.
    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 11-04-2018, 23:01.

Taunton are assured of promotion as champions from the Southern League West. They're nineteen points ahead of second place Salisbury with four matches left.

Comment

North Ferriby were "mathematically doomed to relegation" from National League North on March 20th.
      Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 12-04-2018, 01:38.

Comment

Chester* are joining the increasing number of ex-league sides in the National/Conference North next season.

* I know, I know...

Comment

Basford United bought their way to promotion from the Northern Premier League Division One South last weekend.

Knaresborough Town are promoted from NCEL Division One, they'll clinch the title if they win at Hallam tonight (should the game take place, it probably won't given that Hallam were off on Tuesday and there's no way the pitch will have dried out since then)

Clipstone were relegated from the NCEL Premier a couple of weeks back with their single point from 36 games, though relegation at steps 5 and 6 could potentially be a bit unpredictable what with the reorganisation and possibility of various lateral movements.
          Last edited by longeared; 12-04-2018, 10:41.

Comment

The non-league step 3/4 reduced relegations & inflated promotions will be a bit weird this year, as a new league is introduced at both levels from next season.

Comment

Here's the proposed geographic zoning:
              http://www.evostikleaguesouthern.co....819-seas-47185

The green area - representing an Isthmian division for the eastern counties and the north-east corner of London, is good news for the clubs in our region. I suspect it won't be the strongest league at that level, though having said that the ECL teams which have gone up have generally done ok - I think only one has come back down again in recent times.

Looks a bit rubbish at step 3, though, with the likes of Leiston facing potentially very long journeys out west across that new pink division. (Edit, but I suppose it's no longer than the distance from the north to the south of the NPL.)
              Last edited by Kevin S; 12-04-2018, 12:38.

Comment

As for the promotions and relegations, it's basically the same in step 3 but with only one team coming down from each to keep the numbers up (i.e. 3 relegated in total, one from the top divisions in the Isthmian, Southern and NPL)

In these top divisions there are six teams (three champions and three playoff winners) going up to the National League being replaced by six coming down.

The numbers to create the fourth division at this level will be inflated by promoting more Step 4 teams. Currently each of the three leagues has two divisions in its second tier.

These six divisions will each promote 3 or 4 teams (21 promotions total, and remember only 3 are coming down).

It will be the first and second teams going up plus the better of the two 3rd place teams in each league~, plus a team from each division's playoffs*.

In these divisions, only the bottom clubs (a total of 6) will be relegated to the local step 5 leagues.

~ i.e. comparing the Isthmian North 3rd placed team against the Isthmian South 3rd placed team - better one goes up. And the same for Southern East vs Southern West, and NPL North vs NPL South.
                * either teams 3-6 or 4-7 depending which division has the better 3rd placed team
                Last edited by Kevin S; 12-04-2018, 12:33.

Comment

Poor old Brechin City were relegated from the Scottish Championship weeks ago - their record is currently P32 W0 D4 L28 F19 A73 Pts4

If they were a racehorse, they'd have been shot sometime in November to prevent further unnecessary suffering.

Comment

Welwyn Garden City've booked their place in Step 4 for next season, winning the Spartan South Midlands.

Comment

Good for them. Though I think their late 30s moniker, 'Shredded Wheat' would provide them with a bit more cachet.

Comment

Shredded Wheat FC had a bloody good manager too.

Comment

It's a stretch to call him a good manager in 1992.

Comment

8th place and the League Cup final wasn't too shabby tbf.

Edit - and winning the Full Members too.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                              Shredded Wheat FC had a bloody good manager too.
                              The Jack Charlton ad must only have aired in Ireland.

Comment

Westfield sealed the Combined Counties Premier title last night and succeeded where Man City failed by doing so in the red hot atmosphere of their Woking Derby game against Knaphill, winning 4-1. They now have 100 points and a plus 101 goal difference with 6 games remaining.

Comment

St.Mirren won the Scottish Championship (and thus the automatic promotion place) after drawing with Franchise yesterday. Congrats to our monochrome Paisley brethren.

Comment

PSV’s win over Ajax today gives them the Eredivisie title

Comment

Caernarfon Town have been promoted to the WPL and Prestatyn Town have been relegated from the WPL.
                                      Last edited by Kowalski; 17-04-2018, 17:32.

Comment

Not a confirmed relegation yet, amazingly, for Gosport Borough from the Evo-Stik southern premier who have 11 points so far, because with only one relegation slot due to league resturcturing, they can still catch Dunstable Town, who have a whopping 13.

Excitingly, the two are playing each other at Dunstable in a rearranged fixture on thursday 26th april, which will be the penultimate game for both teams. I sure would like to be present for the lap of honour of whichever of them the drop.

Comment

Dunstable are really bad. Gosport, at least both times Hitchin played them, have given it a good crack. They get decent crowds too. I don't like losing a derby-mate but in my book Gosport deserve to stay up more than Dunstable.

Comment

Salford only need a draw to play in the National League Premier next season, after Harrogate lost tonight.

Comment

Accrington go up to League One. Their first promotion to the third tier.

Bury were relegated to League Two on Saturday.

Comment

Guiseley gone from the National League. Been a fair while coming that one.

Comment

Hereford are Southern League champions following last night's win at one of the Biggleswades.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X