Why are Liverpool fans so weird?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
    You'd swear they were the only ones who did hard training,every 60s and 70s player could tell stories like that.
    Yes, it's always the same. Big Ron took the bus, Frannie had a fag, George shagged somebody called Lindsay - all during a cross-country run. Who the fuck's interested?

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

I'm sure they could.
      Shankly's Liverpool, after doing what Ramsey's Ipswich did before them (getting promoted and winning a title) won fuck all from 1966 to 1973. Finished top four, and got to a Cup Final but you know, a bit like Wenger's Arsenal more recently. I can't help thinking that had it been modern football, he'd have been shown the door around 1968.
      Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 15-05-2019, 18:55.

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
        Yes, it's always the same. Big Ron took the bus, Frannie had a fag, George shagged somebody called Lindsay - all during a cross-country run. Who the fuck's interested?
        Me

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
          I'm skeptical Shankly's methods were copied around Europe. Weren't Spain and Italy for example miles ahead on training and conditioning methods in the 50s and 60s (including em slightly illegal methods- though I've heard the same about Wolves)?
          I think it's as much a case of who was doing the least damage to themselves in training. It's impossible to stress how laughable the whole thing was. Huge amounts of money have been thrown at working out what is good and what is bad, and what is the best thing to do with players. Of course a lot of this is ultimately wasted because Managers are the least 'educated', most backward part of the whole process.

If they had any sense they would have been copying the Brazilians. there's a bit in the fifa 58 world cup film where they show the Brazilians training, and it is very clear that there was only going to be one winner of that tournament. They look like modern footballers.

Comment

They also invented modern 4-2-4, 4-4-2 according to Wilson and my bad memory anyways.

Comment

I'm skeptical Shankly's methods were copied around Europe. Weren't Spain and Italy for example miles ahead on training and conditioning methods in the 50s and 60s (including em slightly illegal methods- though I've heard the same about Wolves)?
              Shankly was certainly giving his players speed at Carlisle.

Comment

Originally posted by NHH View Post

Shankly was certainly giving his players speed at Carlisle.
                I completely believe you but is there more info on this?

Comment

Wait, when did Kompany injure Salah, it was Sergio Ramos, no?

Comment

And what's the tune? Can't make any sense of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nesta View Post
                      Wait, when did Kompany injure Salah, it was Sergio Ramos, no?
                      That part is about a different game apparently, not about the Champions League final. Though it's really bizarre for Man City to bring up last year's Champions League considering that Liverpool humiliated them in the competition that season.

Comment

Sounds like treibeis hasn't heard the definitely real exchange that totally happened between Alf Ramsey and Rodney Marsh before one of the latters few England appearances.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                          They also invented modern 4-2-4, 4-4-2 according to Wilson and my bad memory anyways.
                          It's a testimony to how skillful pele was that they didn't just focus on the six-pack and guns that he kept showing off at every available opportunity. he looked utterly ridiculous beside Europeans who grew up during world war II. One of the things that is easy to forget after decades of mushy glad handing Pele, is that he was one of the hardest bastards to ever set foot on a football pitch.

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post

That part is about a different game apparently, not about the Champions League final. Though it's really bizarre for Man City to bring up last year's Champions League considering that Liverpool humiliated them in the competition that season.
                            It's fucking crazy. Why are they singing about Liverpool getting further in the champions league than them? It's super weird.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

I completely believe you but is there more info on this?
                              I remember reading an interview (maybe a book review in WSC come to think of it) in which a player for Carlisle recalls being given tablets by Shankly before the match, which made them all need to chew gum fiercely for hours afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post

It's fucking crazy. Why are they singing about Liverpool getting further in the champions league than them? It's super weird.

You make it sound like the song congratulates them for a great cup run. It celebrates their defeat in the final. It's super normal. Even Gary Neville had a go at the time:

[URL]https://twitter.com/GNev2/status/1000477666963795968?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1000477666963795968&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.joe.co.uk%2Fsport%2Fgary-neville-rejigs-allez-allez-allez-chant-to-rub-it-into-liverpool-fans-180882[/URL]

Comment

I don't think amphetamines were even illegal were they? You could certainly get them over the counter easily enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                                    You make it sound like the song congratulates them for a great cup run. It celebrates their defeat in the final. It's super normal. Even Gary Neville had a go at the time:
                                    That is Shakespeare by comparison. Also it seems to recognize that it was real Madrid that beat Liverpool in the CL final last season. The man city song would lead you to think it was them that routed Liverpool.

Comment

Ajax were all doped up to fuck. Billy Whizzed off their tits.
                                      Last edited by Lang Spoon; 15-05-2019, 23:01.

Comment

The UK criminalized amphetamines in 1964.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post

That is Shakespeare by comparison. Also it seems to recognize that it was real Madrid that beat Liverpool in the CL final last season. The man city song would lead you to think it was them that routed Liverpool.

Nah. They used to sing that Ramos injured Sarah then, after the game at the Etihad when he scythed down Salah, they changed it to Kompany, but apart from that they're claiming nothing to do with the result in Kiev.

Comment

Can't help but think this crass, idiotic song in any guise isn't worthy of our lyrical analysis.

City players acted like complete morons in having anything to do with it. This needed a quick, sincere apology (" sorry, but you know what cossetted multi millionaires are like when they've had a drink") and move on.

Comment

What's the tune then, I'm thinking laughing policeman?

Comment

Originally posted by Nesta View Post
                                                What's the tune then, I'm thinking laughing policeman?

You're so close as to make no difference:

Comment

City players acted like complete morons in having anything to do with it. This needed a quick, sincere apology (" sorry, but you know what cossetted multi millionaires are like when they've had a drink") and move on.

I don't know about this. I can't believe that more than one or two of them would have been vaguely aware that there might be anything problematic about the song, any more than they knew what a stick of rock was for. The problem with this defence is that it relies on emphasizing the fact that footballers live on a completely different fucking planet to fans.

Comment

Think people are missing the most important point here, which is that the Allez song is exactly the same as Boom boom boom boom/ I want you in my room by the Vengaboys

Comment

Working...
                                                    X