No announcement yet.

Why are Liverpool fans so weird?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's been a nickname for as long as I can remember. The Redmen and the Blue noses.

Comment

I pondered that but if it has been then it's a bit of a 'Boleyn Ground', in that it seems to only have become widely adopted more recently - perhaps to add a tinge of supposed authenticity

They've always been just The Reds as far back as I can remember, which is the mid seventies.

Comment

Bluenoses has always meant Birmingham supporters (as opposed to the team) to me.
        Last edited by Ray de Galles; 14-05-2019, 16:20.

Comment

Same here

Comment

I've heard people shout "Come on you red men!" at Anfield for years and years.

Comment

I'm sure it has been in use before but, as I say, it's the far wider adoption of it in the last five years or so that is remarkable. I'm sure it's due to social media memes.

Comment

looking at the twitter feeds of Tariq panja, Ewan McKenna and Rory Smith, it would seem that there are a lot of Man city fans out there who have seen the best efforts of the wilder edges of LFC fan culture, and have decided that what they lack in numbers, they can make up for in quality, enthusiasm, and unhinged unbridled madness.

Comment

Heh.

I was going to mention the vast New York Times/LFC/Fenway Sports Group conspiracy . . .

Comment

why did the NYT own shares in Fsg back in the day?

Comment

There are no shares in FSG.

It is an LLC.

If the Times' corporate parent had a membership interest at one point, it was almost certainly due to the fact that that entity also controlled the Boston Globe (which John Henry now owns outside of FSG). The members of FSG are primarily super-rich finance types from Boston.
                      Last edited by ursus arctos; 14-05-2019, 17:54.

Comment

I remember the heady days of “LUHG” graffiti going up all over Manchester and people wearing green and yellow scarves. Then they won the league in 2013.

Comment

It's a fascinating conspiracy theory. I'm still not sure how that all ties into the investigation by Uefa, but I'm sure that someone will tie up that loose end at some point.

Comment

I've heard rumours that people in Nyon subscribe to the Times.

The fix is in very deep.

Comment

Rory smith seems to be making the mistake of engaging with these people. These people are making the mistake of engaging with Ewan mcKenna. one of these people has a greater capacity for conflict than the other.

Comment

The guy who started it seems to have deleted his entire account

Comment

I think John Henry gave an interview very early doors saying how the introduction of FFP was one of the factors that made them consider buying Liverpool. It's clearly a scouse fix.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                                    It's been a nickname for as long as I can remember. The Redmen and the Blue noses.
                                    Given I've known people from both sides of the Merseyside diaspora going back to the 1980s, I'd say that's pretty accurate.

Comment

No he's not persona non grata. I'd just never start a fight with him.

Meanwhile I'm sure that by now every Liverpool fan with access to the internet has seen a video of the man city squad singing their version of that weird Allez allez song that liverpool. sing.

The lyrics for the song are
                                      "All the way to Kiev, To end up in defeat,
                                      Crying in the stands, and battered in the street.
                                      Kompany injured salah, victims of it all.
                                      Sterling won the double, The Scousers won fuck all."

Man city have sent out an email to all journalists politely suggesting that they are preparing to take legal action, if anyone suggests that the song refers to the stabbing of sean Cox or Hillsborough. I think that horse may have bolted.

I see that Man City are going to be taking the Denis O'Brien approach to public relations. I look forward to seeing how this strategy of winning hearts through an aggressive legal defence of their rights at every opportunity works out for them.
                                      Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 14-05-2019, 21:13.

Comment

Getting the tram back from the derby at their place last season, I heard some city fans talking about how they hate Liverpool as much as they hate United now. I was naturally appalled at this, but it seems that they've not taken well to having that can of strawberry Rekorderlig thrown at their team coach that time. This rivalry is brewing up nicely.

It does seem odd that City players should sing such a song a few weeks before Liverpool play in yet another CL final while they got knocked out in the quarters again, but there you go. They may have an impressive business structure in place, but it seems you can't stop footballers from being fucking idiots.

(Gary Neville tweeted a version of the Allez Allez song that, thankfully, hasn't taken off at OT. It's possibly because it's too complicated compared to blindly chanting Ole Ole Ole or 20 Times 20 Times Man United, but who cares.

They thought they'd conquered Europe
                                        They thought they'd made it 6
                                        Along came Gareth Bale
                                        He made them look like dicks
                                        26th of May
                                        Forever in our hearts
                                        United won the treble
                                        The Scousers fell apart...

It's great that I don't need to worry about Ander Herrera singing this because he's leaving and we;;ll not win anything for years. I'm not sure my spine would take the cringing)

Comment

Point of order,Sean Cox was punched not stabbed.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                            see that Man City are going to be taking the Denis O'Brien approach to public relations. I look forward to seeing how this strategy of winning hearts through an aggressive legal defence of their rights at every opportunity works out for them.

Never forget Berba that the Plain People of Ireland kept awarding DoB squllions in damages, usually against the advice of judges. Sure, he earned his money, worked for it didn't he?

Comment

The weirdest thing about them singing that song, (apart from the classlessness of it) is that they're all going to go off to their national sides soon where they're supposed to be mates. Can you imagine the conversation between Henderson and Stirling or Foden? Or Milner slowly and calmly twisting Walker's head off his shoulders while discussing the ironing?

Comment

Can you imagine the conversation between Henderson and Stirling or Foden?

I'm trying to imagine any angry conversation involving jordan henderson, and I can't stop giggling. It's the accent that gets me. It's not exactly intimidating is it?

Comment

I'd say the same about Cork sing song, but I'd know better.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post

Never forget Berba that the Plain People of Ireland kept awarding DoB squllions in damages, usually against the advice of judges. Sure, he earned his money, worked for it didn't he?
                                                    Denis O'Brien successfully sued the Daily mail for saying he was only doing the haiti thing to distract from the moriarty tribunal. And I think he sued a former business partner for saying he paid michael lowry (Am not sure of the details) but mostly he loses.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X