Sucess the Southgate way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sucess the Southgate way

Just in case anyone was still questioning the managerial ability of Gareth Southgate, the recent friendly games last week will surely have put paid to any lingering doubts that people will have had about the FA's penis-nosed messiah. Having convincingly dispatched the worst Dutch team for 35 years 1-0 whilst throwing stuff in their canals, they were then controversially denied another 1-0 win against the worst Italy team for sixty years by a video replay that correctly proved that a penalty should be awarded.
    Those in the know, however, will tell you that Gareth was always destined for success. He cut his managerial teeth (with an angle grinder, one presumes) by turning Shteve McLaren's Middlesbrough team from League Cup winners and European finalists into relegation fodder featuring a fearsome strike force of Afonso Alves and Jérémie Aliadière in just three seasons. He achieved all this despite having taken the job with no coaching qualifications whatsoever.
    Following his sacking from Middlebrough over a season after it should of happened, Gareth eventually found himself appointed as the FA's head of elite development, which involved putting up motivational posters at the new St Georges Park training centre such as the one with the kitten with a petrified look on his face holding on to a branch with the phrase "HANG IN THERE" on it, and funnily enough it was this exact same expression that appeared on the faces of the England players in the knockout game against Iceland in the Euros that led to Roy being sacked, so that motivation was seemingly evident just five years later.
    Gareth then moved on to the Under 21s two years later, taking over from Stuart Pearce, and completely turned things around. He took over a team that had just got knocked out of the 2013 European Championships having lost every single group game and just two years later they were a team that got knocked out of the 2015 European Championships having lost two out of three group games.
    Real success followed, as his team went on to win the Toulon tournament the following year, and it was this result that likely led to Gareth taking over the senior England team after the vacancy had quickly been made available by Sam Allardyce downing a pint of wine and undermining his employers to some undercover reporters just one game into the job. That and the fact that there were no realistic English applicants for the job and that the supporters were clamouring for an English manager to be in charge because after all we hadn't voted for Brexit just so the FA can put a fucking Kraut or Dago in charge of our football team.
    Gareth saw out the rest of the qualification campaign, and finished top of an incredibly tough group that featured the best of the third tier of Eastern European football as well as the mighty Maltese and the best Scotland squad we have seen in at least two years.
    Well if you have followed Gareth's career over the past decade and thought "I could do that", or "my Nan could do that" or even "my tortoise could do that, and it never even made it through hibernation the other winter" then you can try it for yourself with your very own team. All you need do is send an application to join the OTF League on Xpert Eleven.
    Want to know more? Xpert Eleven is an online football manager game. You are given a team with a squad of players and you compete in a league with other OTFers, some are hardcore regulars, and some are occasional posters and some are just lurkers who don't really post on here at all and just enjoy the game. We don't mind really.
    Just like in real football, you try to pick a team to beat your opponent whilst trying to nurture young talent and, with some training, squad alterations and accumulation of wealth, grow your squad of players into a successful winning team. You play in a league twice a week, and you get to choose the formation and style of play that you think best suits your team, and can buy and sell players in the transfer market and bring in new youth prospects.
    It doesn't take a lot of time either. A couple of minutes a day will usually do just to check updates and set you team, though you may spend a bit more than that on the site if you want to find a new player or write a press release (which can earn you extra cash), or you may come to love the game and get hopelessly addicted to it and only break the habit by going completely cold turkey Renton from Trainspotting style like Kev did.
    The game is easy to play, and the site is very simple to navigate. Also we are a welcoming bunch and are happy to help with any questions that might arise as you get used to the game play. Just try it for a season and see how you go, we won't mind if you decide that it isn't for you.
    It doesn't have to cost you anything. The game is free to join, but you have the option of purchasing VIP membership if you want to take advantage of extra gizmos or increase your team portfolio.
    And joining is easy too. This is the league invite link. Just click on it, enter your details and the OTF League admin Etienne will set you up.
    Last edited by Sean of the Shed; 31-03-2018, 10:46.

Magnificent post Sean.

Comment

Last 16 exit beckons but do you think he might fuck up this piss easy group, like Capello did in 2010, scraping through in the 3rd game?

Comment

Nice use of the straight bat there, Satchmo! Why don't you give Xpert Eleven a go?

Comment

Let me think on it. I'm not going to be around for much of the World Cup so I dunno if I could give it my necessary attention.

Comment

We're likely to have time for a full season before the World Cup, so you'll probably have had a chance to see if you like it before you go away. It really is a good game.

Comment

Fucking hell, Sean! You've really outdone yourself there.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                Last 16 exit beckons but do you think he might fuck up this piss easy group, like Capello did in 2010, scraping through in the 3rd game?
                Yes.

Great OP Sean. This really is a great game.

Comment

Only just seen the new thread. Fucking hilarious Sean, and so despairingly accurate at the same time.

For anyone out there with hypothetical managerial skill equal or above those of a tortoise, meanwhile, yes do come and join the OTF league. It is a great game.

Comment

Please. It's a comatose and likely brain-dead Tortoise.

Comment

And at least Sean didn't talk about the England Women's manager, whose resume makes the Men's incumbent look like a Football Renaissance Man.

There are X11 Women's competitions as well, BTW (i.e. leagues with female players, but open to managers of any gender). It's not just Men's Football on there. The OTF league is male players, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                        And at least Sean didn't talk about the England Women's manager, whose resume makes the Men's incumbent look like a Football Renaissance Man.

There are X11 Women's competitions as well, BTW (i.e. leagues with female players, but open to managers of any gender). It's not just Men's Football on there. The OTF league is male players, though.
                        But our second league, the Human League, is female players.

Comment

Since I already struggle to keep up with FPL (tho I was briefly up to 7th this weekend) I have to resist any X11 temptation.

Great stuff, tho Sean.

From an ABE perspective there is the fear that England have some very good players who could be capable of ignoring their manager..?

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                            Let me think on it. I'm not going to be around for much of the World Cup so I dunno if I could give it my necessary attention.
                            Nice to hear that you're interested SD, why not give it a try for a few weeks to see if it's for you. We're a friendly bunch and with over 1k pages of posts there's something in it that keeps us going.

Comment

Originally posted by Felicity, I guess so View Post
                              Since I already struggle to keep up with FPL (tho I was briefly up to 7th this weekend) I have to resist any X11 temptation.

Great stuff, tho Sean.

From an ABE perspective there is the fear that England have some very good players who could be capable of ignoring their manager..?
                              Don't resist FIGS, it's a different game to FPL and quite straightforward. We'd be happy to have you on board.

Comment

Yes, resistance is futile. I resisted joining the Human League (run by Sits) for its first two seasons but have wished ever since I'd come in from the word go. We're a lovely, helpful bunch too with loads of good advice for newbies.

Comment

It's recruitment time again for the OTF League in Xpert Eleven, so I'm giving this thread a bump.

Comment

And in other news, Kev has fallen off the wagon. He's not reached previous levels of addiction but is refusing all offers of rehab at the moment.

Comment

We've now completed our current season and are eagerly awaiting new applications.

Comment

Working...
                                      X