Clear All

From buns to bunnies: Easter Weekend Football

Saturday: Wembley v Edgware Town
    Monday: Charlton Athletic v Rotherham United

Saturday: York v Chorley
    Monday: FCUM v York
    Tuesday: Sitting quietly crying in a corner

Comment

Off down south for the weekend, plans are a bit loose depending on whether the trains work but essentially looking at

Friday: Burgess Hill Town v Wingate & Finchley
      Saturday: Something around Brighton, probably Seaford Town or Horsham
      Monday: A derby, either Wellingborough (Whitworth v Town) or St Town (Neots v Ives)

Comment

Myself and Mrs Flibl should be at the Horsham game on Saturday.

Comment

I had hoped to see my first speedway of the season but it looks likely that all my planned possible meetings will be rained off so my potential schedule is ;

Friday - Wimbledon v Fleetwood Town - potentially an absolutely pivotal game for both sides with regard to D3 relegation

Saturday - Eversley & California v Deportivo Galicia - Combined Counties League D1 Esoteric Recordings Cup Semi-Final ( purely based on the evocative and exotic names of the teams & tournament)

Sunday - Guildford Flames v Sheffield Steelers - Elite Ice Hockey League Play-Off Quarter-Finals

Monday - possibly one of the CCL's 11:30am kick-offs (Staines Lammas v Badshot Lea being the most likely), the 1pm Woking Derby between Westfield and Knaphill or maybe Walton Casuals' Isthmian South top six clash with Corinthian-Casuals at 3pm.
          Last edited by Ray de Galles; 29-03-2018, 21:36.

Comment

Friday - Lewisham Borough vs Holmesdale
            Saturday - Matlock Town vs Stalybridge Celtic
            Monday - Doncaster Rovers vs AFC Wimbledon

Comment

Sunday sees the final league fixtures, so a double header for me. First, First Division action between BAA and Southampton Rangers. BAA are already promoted to the Premier, and Rangers need to beat them and hope Paget Lions lose to perennial whipping boys Ireland Rangers. If Rangers don't lose, and Paget win or draw, they will go the whole season unbeaten and still not go up. They are also in the FA Cup Final in 2 weeks against Robin Hood.

And talking of Hood, they play Boulevard Blazers in the 3.00 game. PHC Zebras have all but won the title. They play already relegated YMSC who haven't won all season, and need to lose by a lot of goals to give Hood any chance. Flanagans Onions were relegated along with YMSC 2 weeks ago.

Comment

Lincoln v Exeter for me tomorrow.

Comment

Tomorrow - Banik Ostrava vs Vysocina Jihlava in the Czech League.
                  Saturday - Zilina vs Trencin in the Slovak League.

Comment

Turned down a ticket to see Cardiff v Burton tomorrow as I'm going to see family. But my dad has pissed me off with multiple annoying calls today so I wonder if I should have gone to the game after all.

Saturday Dad has suggested going to see Haughmond FC but I was planning to do something else anyway and now he's annoyed me.

Monday it's Shrewsbury v Oxford. Tbh that's the only reason I'm bothering going, the way I'm feeling at the moment. And apparently it's due to fucking snow.

Easter sucks.
                    Last edited by Patrick Thistle; 29-03-2018, 21:10.

Comment

Friday:- Oxford United vs Scunthorpe United followed by Cefn Druids vs Bala Town.
                      Saturday:- Frome Town vs Banbury United.
                      Monday:- haven't decided yet.

Comment

Oxford to Cefn is a bit of a trip. When are Druids kicking off?

Comment

Oxford 12.45, Cefn 7.45.

Comment

I love Easter holiday sport. If I was in the UK, I'd be at the Doncaster -York RL game then Rovers - Wimbledon on Monday.

But I'm not, so I won't.

Comment

Interestingly, even counting Accrington's lineal predecessors, it would appear this would be the first time the club would ever have secured promotion as part of the Football League (though, under modern rules, they would have been promoted twice).

Comment

Utterly farcical game at Kingsmeadow today. Clear from about ten minutes in that the pitch was becoming unplayable as seven or eight large areas of standing water on top of mud appeared.

I was wondering how long play would go on before the ref abandoned the game when Fleetwood took the lead. A Wimbledon pass out of defence stopped dead after a few feet in one of the swampy patches for an attacker to pick up while the defender tried to recover but found it impossible to while running on a saturated sponge.

From then on in the ref was only going to take the right decision if the Dons equalised or a player got seriously injured. An hour in he actually called the ground staff on with four of five pitch “blotters” and one of them actually got stuck in the worst patch of mud (the same one which provided the assist for the goal) yet he still insisted the game could go on.

By the end players were losing their footing and sliding ten or fifteen feet and in large parts of the ground the only way to pass was to chip the ball up and volley like in beach football.

I would like to see the club at least raise some protest to the EFL, if the defeat today ends up being significant in relegating Wimbledon (and that seems increasingly likely) it is going to be very galling.
                                Last edited by Ray de Galles; 30-03-2018, 19:31.

Comment

My sympathies, Ray, but isn't it up to Wimbledon themselves to ensure the ground has adequate drainage? (I would say that of any home team, just to clarify.)

Comment

It wasn’t a fault with the pitch (which is actually excellent, Chelsea put in a new one at the start of the season and are in charge of maintaining it now for their ladies team which they do to a very high standard) as I think any pitch would have been saturated by the four hours of torrential rain that fell on it before kick-off.

The intense downpour carried on throughout the game and as soon as 22 blokes started trying to run, pass and tackle on it the problems were obvious.

Comment

FWIW, there looked to be a foot deep stream around the edges of Brentford's pitch for their match against Sheffield United today.

Comment

Bootle 0-0 Runcorn Linnets (NW Counties Prem)

Healthy crowd (for step 5) of 408 saw Bootle put in a much improved performance to frustrate champions elect Linnets and their large, noisy support. Despite not having as much craft and guile as the visitors, Bootle could've won it had they not missed a second half penalty.

Despite overnight rain that left the pitch muddy in places, we had none of the grim weather that seems to have afflicted other parts of the country.

In the distance you may be able to make out the grandstands of Aintree racecourse, and no prizes for guessing what happens to their old sponsorship boards when they're getting chucked out.

Comment

Barnsley 2-2 Bristol City

There are two ways of looking at today's match.

1. We played really well and deserved to get three points. If we continue to play like that we'll be ok.
                                          2. If we can't win when we play well, when can we win? We're not going to be ok.

We should have won today. We had all sorts of chances but couldn't finish them off. Then ex Barnsley player Josh Brownhill scored with their second attempt on target at the beginning of injury time. (Brownhill becoming the third ex Reds midfielder to score against us this season after Scowen and Hourihane.)

On a bit of a tangent, since when did Bristol City start being called just 'Bristol'? What about Bristol Rovers? If one of the Sheffield teams becomes dominant for a while, will they get their name shortened too?
                                          It does my head in. (Or is it just a local thing here?)

Comment

Oxford - Scunthorpe was a proper game of two halves. Scunthorpe should have been far more than 1 goal up at half time, hit the post a couple of times, shots cleared of the line and I don't recall Oxford having a shot on goal. Second half Oxford resembled a football team and looked the better side after they equalised through an admittedly soft looking penalty.

The M40 resembled a river, so I jibbed out of going to Cefn.

Comment

To be honest I'm surprised any game got played in London given the volume of rain that fell.

Going to Horsham tomorrow as I understand they have a 3g pitch. Wiblflibl - if you want to say hello, I'm the tall bloke, short hair, black jeans, probably taking photos on my phone.

Brighton has a right weird mix and range of Guide pubs.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Casper View Post

On a bit of a tangent, since when did Bristol City start being called just 'Bristol'? What about Bristol Rovers? If one of the Sheffield teams becomes dominant for a while, will they get their name shortened too? It does my head in. (Or is it just a local thing here?)
                                                I didn’t know that was happening but my guess would be it’s something to do with City and the city’s rugby club coming together under the ownership of Stephen Lansdown’s Bristol Sport outfit (along with the basketball side, the Flyers) and both playing at Ashton Gate. He’s possibly trying to brand his sides as the only game in town.

Comment

How Newcastle Sporting Club of him

Comment

Working...
                                                  X