Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hakan Sukur

in exile in the US

Should he ever return to his native land he would face charges of insulting the president and rebelling against the government. Life imprisonment would be certain and he could even face the death penalty.

There are quite a few sports stars in exactly the same position as him. Enes Kanter is the first one that springs to mind, he's had his passport cancelled and his father disown him due to his support for Gülen.

There are a number of former footballers locked up because of their perceived support for Gülen or simply because they have had Bylock downloaded from their IP address, this includes a friend of mine who spent a few weeks inside before being released.

https://www.cnn.com/2017/05/20/sport...led/index.html

Comment

Ömer Çatkıç, Zafer Biryol, and Uğur Boral are currently imprisoned in Turkey. Ömer is the former national team reserve keeper while the other two played for Fenerbahçe at one point in their careers.

Many others have been implicated in this but have either denounced Gülen and/or moved extremely close to the regime of Erdoğan.

Edit: I've withdrawn the names of two famous players who now play for Başakşehir, which is by default and public money the regime team. Allegedly.
      Last edited by Antepli Ejderha; 18-02-2018, 11:26.

Comment

When I really got into Turkish football and had enough language to understand more of what was going on it was an open secret that football was dominated by a sect. It was easy enough to see which players belonged to that by watching the training sessions, they wore long and baggy shorts with their socks pulled up over their knees to expose as little skin as possible.

The sect at the time was linked to Gülen but know it's another running the country.

Comment

Does the alleged assassination attempt on Deniz Naki belong here?

Comment

https://odatv.com/emre-belozoglunu-k...612161200.html

This article is in Turkish but the headline is, "who is protecting Emre?"

15 years ago both him and Hakan had to come back to Turkey and give a sworn statement to the public prosecutor in Ankara about alleged links with Gülen, both denied it and said they were Kemalists

Comment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kayser...er?wprov=sfla1

This also belongs here then. In 1967 a match between Kayseri, a predominantly Sunni city, and Sivasspor, a predominantly Alevi city, resulted in 43 mainly Sivas Alevis being killed. The 70s saw massacres of Alevis in Maraş and 1993 was the arson and murder in Sivas of mainly left wing Alevi intellectual.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siva...re?wprov=sfla1

Comment

Yep. Very few Kurdish or Alevi footballers are outspoken but many face discrimination and hostility on a regular basis.

Comment

Just read the Sukur article in today's Observer. Incredible. What an awful situation to be caught in.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                    Just read the Sukur article in today's Observer. Incredible. What an awful situation to be caught in.
                    I'm sorry but I've got little sympathy for Hakan Şükür, he got involved with Gülenism and then became an AKP MP and benefited financially from all of this. Now we get an article seemingly to make us feel sorry for him and how he's been hard done by. Fuck him and fuck his cult.

Comment

Seconded, if you lay down with dogs...

Comment

Oh, no understood, absolutely – I wasn't suggesting he's blameless in the situation, by a long chalk, which is why I say it's "incredible" rather than "tragic", for instance. But I still can't help but feel a degree of sympathy anyone caught in that, despite the situation only having arisen because he chose between two proper arseholes and turned out to have chosen the wrong one. Agreed that the scenario should never have arisen.

Comment

I think i know what you meant VA and it's incredibly sad that he couldn't attend his dad's funeral but it's of his own making and that's all that has come out in the media. I'm sure there's so much more that is known but hasn't come out.

Comment

It looks like Hakan Sukur isn't black enough or woman enough for OTF mainstream. If UK had same attitude against different political views as Erdogan regime then big, big part of OTF could be inprisoned.

Comment

what the fuck are you wibbling about?

Comment

Originally posted by gintsr View Post
                                It looks like Hakan Sukur isn't black enough or woman enough for OTF mainstream. If UK had same attitude against different political views as Erdogan regime then big, big part of OTF could be inprisoned.
                                Hakan Şükür has only one difference to Erdoğan politically, he chose to support Gülen. Ideologically they are the same or as near as makes no difference.

Şükür is not a victim at all. I'm really wondering who has ghost written this piece as normally when you click on the journalist there's a short bio, this time nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by gintsr View Post
                                  Whatever you say, chief.

Comment

Profile in the New York Times, he is now working in a bakery in Palo Alto

Comment

Working...
                                    X