Defend the indefensible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Defend the indefensible

Having slightly derailed the Hartlepool/national league clubs in crisis thread, I feel I should make amends by starting another conversation.

So, this is a bit like that Fighting Talk bit. I've already put up an argument that automatic promotion/relegation to/from the football league has fucked up more clubs than it's helped. This led on to whether the top flight should be a closed shop and some meritable points were made.

Anyone fancy a go at defending these?

"It's time to abolish the home nations and have a UK international team."

"We should only have video referees."

"Premier League clubs should be allowed to field B teams / Academy sides at any level below the Championship."

"Troy Deeney is an inspirational archetype of a British centre forward."

'Women officiating men's football matches are an unwelcome distraction."

"It's time to move on; WSC should include MK Dons in the annual season preview."

I'll do the last one if they change their name to Milton Keynes Town…

Comment

Uncanny. I’m sitting in a hotel room overlooking MK’s pitch.

In my defence it’s not a bad hotel room.

Comment

Yeah. I'll defend the last one. Carrying hatred and resentment from one generation to the next is never a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
          Yeah. I'll defend the last one. Carrying hatred and resentment from one generation to the next is never a good idea.

Unless they bombed your chippy of course!

Comment

I'll defend "abolish the home nations and have a UK international team."

time to get rid of the corrupt special treatment - and also get about winning things. Prussia and bavaria don't insist on their own football teams , and they're quite happy to win hte world cup instead. Politically and footballistically we need to unite -instead of relying on special treatment.

But England Scotland and Wales should be one team- GB and Northern Ireland goes with the Republic. If the rugby lot can manage it so can the footballers.

Comment

I kind of like Troy Deeney, for reasons I can't fully explain. I'd love him soooo much if I supported Watford.

Comment

Prussia and bavaria don't insist on their own football teams

Prussia and Bavaria didn't invent international football.

Anyway, why should OTFers defend these piss-poor ideas? Isn't that what the English FA is for?

Comment

Originally posted by My Name Is Ian View Post
                  I kind of like Troy Deeney, for reasons I can't fully explain. I'd love him soooo much if I supported Watford.
                  I'll attempt to elaborate on this one.

Too many people believe that most top-level players these days are detached from reality and detached from the fans. Deeney isn't. Deeney is one of us. Deeney cares.

He's made mistakes - big mistakes with terrible repercussions - but has battled back and attempted to turn his life around. He's made the most of his ability. He's made it to the Premier League and more than held his own. He'd be the perfect Plan B for a bigger team.

Urgh... now I feel dirty...

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                    This has come up before and I do agree there should be a statute of limitations. So when the last supporter who saw the original Wimbledon FC dies then the hatred towards Franchise (should they still exist, hopefully not) should be downgraded towards dislike. So around 2070 or so then?

That said, my ten year old boy who has been a Dons season ticket holder since the age of five hates the vermin too.
                    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 07-02-2018, 10:16.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                      If the rugby lot can manage it so can the footballers.
                      Call the witness Nef's granny. Exhibit A- testicles.

Rugby union- the sport where teams of brick shithouses spend half the season playing 'friendlies' and half qualifying over and again for World Cups before being swatted away by the big boys.

In Ireland, it's actually an exception anyway. Most of NI's top performers across a wide range of sports represent themselves, NI, Britain or occasionally England

ps is it my imagination, or is Deeney a bit of a fatty? See also Shaqiri.

RdG- are you available for a conf all with Karen Bradley, Michelle O'Neill and Arlene Foster? They're about to re-start bickering on a Statute of Limitations
                      Last edited by Duncan Gardner; 07-02-2018, 10:26.

Comment

Can we switch the home nations question to arguing about why Catalonia, Sud Tirol, Euskadi, Brittany, Székelyföld, etc etc should be allowed to compete in UEFA/FIFA competitions?

Comment

Even if Catalonia gained political independence I guarantee Barca and Espanol would want to remain in La Liga, like Cardiff and Swansea in England.

Comment

Barca might join Madrid in leaving the Primera for an expanded Champions League?

Comment

I quite enjoy watching Troy Deeney

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                                Even if Catalonia gained political independence I guarantee Barca and Espanol would want to remain in La Liga, like Cardiff and Swansea in England.
                                That's not the point though. If semi autonomous regions/nations like Scotland can play in international competitions, why not Catalonia, which (until recently) had a similar level of autonomy and sense of nationhood?

Comment

Originally posted by HORN View Post
                                  Uncanny. I’m sitting in a hotel room overlooking MK’s pitch.

In my defence it’s not a bad hotel room.
                                  You should have let me know, HORN (although I’m in Manchester at the moment).

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
                                    Call the witness Nef's granny. Exhibit A- testicles.

Rugby union- half the season playing 'friendlies' and half qualifying over and again for World Cups before being swatted away by the big boys.
                                    Er, aren't you a cricket fan?

RdG- are you available for a conf all with Karen Bradley, Michelle O'Neill and Arlene Foster? They're about to re-start bickering on a Statute of Limitations
                                    I do wish you wouldn't compare fripperies like that to the Wimbledon situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                      This has come up before and I do agree there should be a statute of limitations. So when the last supporter who saw the original Wimbledon FC dies then the hatred towards Franchise (should they still exist, hopefully not) should be downgraded towards dislike. So around 2070 or so then?
                                      Dunno, there are German fans who don't consider Leverkusen a real club. And they've been around since 1904.

Comment

Arsenal over here likewise, I'm not the kind to bear grudges to an unreasonable degree though.

What is people's problem with Leverkeusen, not their works club status?

Comment

Er, aren't you a cricket fan?
                                          Your point? With RU, I find the structure/ schedule odd as well as the game itself dull. As for cricket, I've long suggested a preference for NI to play county cricket rather than the AI obsession with tests. Both the latter and indeed other cross-border teams are in long-term decline. Malahide is quite pleasant, I'll admit.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                                            I'll defend "abolish the home nations and have a UK international team."

time to get rid of the corrupt special treatment - and also get about winning things. Prussia and bavaria don't insist on their own football teams , and they're quite happy to win hte world cup instead. Politically and footballistically we need to unite -instead of relying on special treatment.
                                            Leaving apart the fact that most of the celtic nations active supporters would rightly turn their back on it, does anyone actually think a UK side (i.e. England with the odd Welsh or Scottish guest) would do significantly better than any of the "home nations" have recently managed?

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
                                              Your point? With RU, I find the structure/ schedule odd as well as the game itself dull. As for cricket, I've long suggested a preference for NI to play county cricket rather than the AI obsession with tests. Both the latter and indeed other cross-border teams are in long-term decline. Malahide is quite pleasant, I'll admit.
                                              My point was the amount of "friendlies" in cricket (they're just called test matches there as is the correct term in rugby) and the phony war of World Cup qualification to be knocked over by the usual suspects.

Of course, rugby is indeed dull in Ireland because that's the way the national side and leading provinces have decided to play it.

Comment

What is people's problem with Leverkeusen, not their works club status?
                                                Pretty much. See also Wolfsburg, Leipzig and Hoffenheim.

Comment

That's what I was thinking, there are quite a lot of them.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X