Comedy yellow cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comedy yellow cards

This was yesterday. Shrewsbury scored in the 88th minute to go 2-1 up, and the players celebrated the goal, as you do. All the Bristol Rovers players were ready to kick off. Stefan Payne, a Shrewsbury striker, took so long to dawdle back into the Shrewsbury half he got a yellow card for time wasting. He then stopped to talk to the referee about it, delaying the kick off further.

Obviously, I thought this was funny AF, but the Bristol players were very annoyed by it, and judging by the shouts from the crowd the home fans weren't happy either.

Anyone else seen humorous yellow cards. (Or bookings, if you're old enough.)

Gazzas yellow card when the ref dropped his cards would be one,one I remember was bohs v shelbourne about 15 years ago,a free-kick was given for offside right in front of the bohs hardcore,the shels keeper threw the ball about 10 yards forward,cue howls of protest from the bohs tifosi,the ref made him put the ball in the correct spot and ran to the halfway line with his back to the keeper,he didn't move the ball but the crowd roared again with which the ref turned and gave him a yellow,biggest cheer of the night

Comment

Gazza was the one I was going to say

Comment

I watched Argentina v Cameroon in the opening game of Italia 90 in the pub and when Massing assaulted Canigga the only reaction was laughter it was so blatant,his wave to the crowd holding his boot in his hand was the cherry on the cake

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
          He then stopped to talk to the referee about it, delaying the kick off further.
          That should have been the ref's cue to say, "Move your fucking arse now or there'll be another one where that came from."

Playing in the Lindsey and Kesteven District League in early-80s Lincolnshire, cards of any colour were an absolute rarity (as they were throughout my youth, and then on through playing in the SOL in my 20s during the late 80s/early 90s). One week one of our players got a yellow card for a deliberate handball - a correct decision, in retrospect, as he was preventing a promising counter-attack. But the referee looked so absurd and pompous showing him the card that I burst out laughing (I was 17). So, it wasn't a comedy yellow in itself, just in that context. I should probably have got a yellow for laughing. I remember getting caught offside once in the same league and yelling at the (club) linesman, "Fucking shit decision, linesman!" and the ref just giving me a talking-to rather than the deserved (red) card.

Comment

That reminds me of the only booking I ever received in my 'extensive' footy career. I was playing for Holywell Town Youth against Hawarden Rangers when the ref blew for a nudge in the centre circle. I commented that our midfielder hardly touched his opponent when the ref - Bill Hughes, whom I'd known for years and was one of the organisers at my Sunday team - called me over and booked me for gobbing off. He said "you're always fucking moaning - here's somethinbg to fucking moan about".

I learned my lesson that day, never backchatted after that.

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
              That should have been the ref's cue to say, "Move your fucking arse now or there'll be another one where that came from."
              But even that takes time, and the player gets the illicit advantage he was seeking.

I remember a story about one of those unhinged Scottish players (probably Chic Charnley, but I couldn't absolutely swear it), which ran something along the lines of:
              Player approaches ref unhappy with a decision, and asks "Ref, what would happen if I called you a c*nt?"
              Ref responds "Well, then I'd send you off"
              Player - "And what if I only thought it?"
              Ref - "If you only thought it, I wouldn't do anything"
              Player - "OK then, ref. I think you're a c*nt"
              Ref then books rather than sends off the player, apparently laughing hard whilst doing so.

This all sounds highly likely to be apocryphal.

Comment

Mentioned on the match-going thread last week - at the last Carlisle home game it was all getting a bit arsey before the ball went out for a throw in to Forest Green, and it rolled into the Carlisle bench. Carlisle sub goalie Morgan Bacon, sitting on the bench, appeared to let the ball roll between his feet and then put his feet back in front of the ball to prevent the FG player retrieving it. He was booked, meaning he's received his first yellow card before even making his senior debut.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                  But even that takes time, and the player gets the illicit advantage he was seeking.
                  True, but then he's suspended for the next game, plus you can always add two more minutes to stoppage time for good measure - the fourth official's number is only a minimum guideline.

Love VT's anecdote - I'm going to use that line.

Comment

For comedy, I recommend old footage of early yellow cards. Unfortunately I don't think anyone's put together a Greatest Hits Compilation, so you'd probably have to sit through a lot of 1970's football that you'd rather not revisit, which might be a pretty poor time-to-laughs ratio.

Anyway, I was watching Arsenal-Ajax highlights the other day (72?) and the ref held the yellow card out in front of him like he was serving a summons. Other refs brandished it above their heads, like a flaming torch signalling to a distant hilltop. It took a while before everyone got the memo and followed the same gesture manual.

Comment

Utrecht player Lukas Gortler was given a deserved yellow card for a nasty foul. Later in the game he's substituted and takes his place on the bench. The ball goes out of play for an Ajax throw-in. Gortler picks up the ball and doesn't give it back. The ref gives him another yellow card and his marching orders. Sent off from the bench.

Comment

I remember that story Janik recounts as featuring Tommy Smith.

I'm sure I was watching a game once where a ref booked a whole defensive wall, 4 or 5 players, for refusing to retreat 10 yards. I've an idea it was in a summer tournament, but can't remember any more details.

Comment

Player wipes free-kick vanishing spray from his boot onto the ref's sock and is shown a yellow card :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIsyVZ_D-P4

Comment

Two years ago I booked an entire bench (four subs) for running on to the pitch and getting involved in a stramash. They didn't think it was very funny, though. LOL.

Comment

Working...
                            X