Uploading football footage to YouTube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uploading football footage to YouTube

About ten years ago, I uploaded a few old Bury goals to YouTube after I'd ripped the footage from my old season review videos. I publicised them on Facebook and Bury message boards before they were taken down without my consent, I think by the Football League (though I can't quite remember).

The only one of the videos that they allowed to remain, and which is still there to this day, is an interview with Chris Lucketti being interrupted by Tony Rigby on the day we won the Second Division championship, presumably because it didn't contain any actual football. It's at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dJOJBaDMlw if you're interested.

I'm now planning my second book about the club from an era when footage is plentiful, unlike that from my first. I still have the season review videos and could rip loads of videos from them, upload them to YouTube and embed them on the website for the book - but would the same happen? There are so many YouTube channels with historical football on there it makes me think I could, but is there a way of finding a definitive answer?

Ten years ago, was about the time that Football Data Co were prevalent, and ruthless with removing content that featured 'match action' from the Football League. They got my entire blog shut down as one post on it featured an image I'd taken inside the stadium at Watford or Reading or somewhere such. Was a right pain getting it resolved.

They seem to have dropped away since - probably due to the sheer profligacy of mobile phone content that exists making it near impossible to police - so I reckon you'd be fine now. I suspect if you went in search of a definitive answer from YouTube or the Football League it would be an answer you didn't want to hear.

Comment

I'd also consider putting the footage on Dailymotion, as content seems to last longer on there than it does on Youtube. I've been watching a load of old 20th century F1 races on the former that isn't available anywhere else.

Comment

Seconded on Daily Motion. There are bots swarming all over YouTube issuing complaints against anything they can, and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. Somehow or other, they seem to think that these ancient highlights have a significant value that they can leverage. I was thinking just the other day that they'd be better off treating people who will do this as curators of history rather than criminals. There are dozens of season reviews on YouTube that have been up for ages, but it's completely hit & miss whether they'd get taken down. or not.

Comment

Just attempting to watch videos on DailyMotion, never mind uploading any, has sent my computer mental tonight.

Comment

Have you got an adblocker installed? I've got the very good (and free, and tiny) uBlock Origin, which puts a little notification in your browser's menu bar to let you know how many things it's killed on whatever page you're on. Having just watched a sample video on Dailymotion it finished up with a tally of 53 for that page, which suggests it might be worth installing it yourself to avoid sending your computer mental!

Comment

Would DailyMotion still seem to be the accepted solution for my newly-acquired fistfuls of Bury footage from the mid-90s?

Comment

Working...
              X