Vietnam thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vietnam thread

Ever since Tuesday my timeline has exploded with Vietnamese friends going on about football. Friends who until now had never expressed any interest in the sport. But now Vietnam have reached the final of the Asian U23 championship being held in China. They beat Qatar in the semi final and will face Uzbekistan today (in about half an hour from now). To my knowledge Vietnam has never achieved anything like this in football before (maybe doing OK in the ASEAN tournaments is about the best). Big screens have been set up in all the major cities and it sounds like the country is going nuts.

It's been snowing heavily in China not far from Shanghai where the final is, and already there are fears that even if the match is not called off the Uzbeks who are used to harsh weather will be unaffected while the Vietnamese who've never even seen snow before will freeze metaphorically and physically.

Anyway - Go Vietnam!

Nooooo. Early goal for Uzbekistan

Comment

Equaliser!

Comment

Unfamiliar conditions for Vietnam
        https://twitter.com/aussiebeastmode/status/957173268087099393

Comment

Comment

Not sure what's going on here. Half time has already been on for over half an hour

Comment

Delayed for bad weather apparently

Comment

Might be an idea to ask Uzbekistan to wear a non white kit in the second half too

Comment

Snow is being cleared by hand. You'd think China might have some kind of technology for this

Comment

Half time is now over an hour. Due to restart in 10 minutes

Comment

I have now made the last ten posts on the board

Comment

There are a lot of Vietnamese fans in the crowd, going by that clip of the goal.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                          Might be an idea to ask Uzbekistan to wear a non white kit in the second half too
                          And indeed Uzbekistan have come out for the second half in blue

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                            There are a lot of Vietnamese fans in the crowd, going by that clip of the goal.
                            Given the apparent frenzy that the country has gone into over this match I guess they all flew in specially for it (bit closer /easier for Vietnam than for Uzbekistan

Comment

A friend in Hanoi says he's never seen so much as an empty seat on a bus there but since the game started every single one that has gone past has been completely empty

Comment

Gone into extra time. Uzbekistan missed an open goal on 82 minutes

Comment

By the way seems I was misled about Shanghai. I think it's in Guangzhou

Comment

Crowd watching the match in Vietnam
                                    https://twitter.com/zywu99/status/957204098620702720

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                      By the way seems I was misled about Shanghai. I think it's in Guangzhou
                                      It's in Changzhou, which is just to the West of Shanghai.

Comment

Ah!

Comment

Nooooo

Comment

Uzbekistan win with a goal in the 119th minute

Comment

Bad luck Vietnam, very nice free kick goal, though.

Comment

Here's a picture of one of the main streets in Ho Chi Minh City yesterday during the game with big screens set up

Comment

Working...
                                                X