Bye bye January - weekend matchgoing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bye bye January - weekend matchgoing

Sunday FA Cup game for the second time this month for me. Cardiff City versus the oil baron intergalacticos in the FA Cup fourth round. It's on TV too if you want to tune in for the upset of the round / watch Neil Warnock's face sag ever earthward as his team gets tonked.

Saturday night game for me. Newport v Tottenham. I’ve convinced myself that if Spurs could only see off AFC Wimbledon 3-0 at pristine Wembley then on a wet bumpy pitch in Wales in driving rain we’ll do them.

Comment

Well, it was supposed to be Lincoln v Newport, but those selfish Newportian bastards wanted their big money cup tie with big fat Premier League Tottenham. Thanks for abandoning the grassroots, Newport. Now I have to try and persuade my 80-year-old dad that he wants to spend a (forecast) rainy afternoon watching Gainsborough Trinity v Alfreton Town. I think my best plan will be to order him into the car and tell him we're going on a mystery tour.

Comment

Sheffield Wednesday v Reading. Very winnable tie, which means we'll balls it up.

Comment

Something in Amsterdam hopefully.

Comment

It's my dads 70th birthday this weekend, so I'm mostly going to be involved in various things for that. However I'm going to go to Widnes v Runcorn Town tomorrow night, and maybe a game in the Merseyside Christian League on Saturday morning.

Comment

Brentford v Norwich

We have survived 80% of the transfer window unscathed but our problem is giving all the available talent game time. Alan Judge is ready to return but hasn’t even made the bench for the last two games and new signing Emiliano Marcondes is yet to make his league debut.

Norwich have hit some form recently so it should be a good contest.

Comment

Up to Dundee to see The Damned and luckily three of the seven East Junior sides I haven't been to have games on in or around the city.

Aiming for Coupar Angus v Brechin if all goes well.

Comment

That said North End v East Craigie could be a decent derby, not sure how fierce that might be.

Comment

Off to the Betzenberg to see Kaiserslautern v. Düsseldorf tomorrow afternoon. Lautern are 7 points adrift at the foot of the table, while Fortuna moved further ahead of the pack with a midweek win over Aue.

They are expecting a large contingent of away fans, no idea what the overall atmosphere is going to be like but I would imagine there'll be a banners etc wishing Strasser a speedy recovery. Crowds are down, people are generally fed up after years of pretty turgid football and poor results and patience is wearing thin. Relegation to the third tier looks increasingly likely, the club has just been hit with a fine by the DFB for repeated breaches of regulations (pyro, throwing beer cups at opposing players, streaker on the pitch at Sandhausen...) and they have just gone cap in hand to the town council (again) to beg for a reduction in the rent payments for the stadium if they do get relegated. Essentially, the club is a financial basket case, various black holes keep popping up in the accounts and they look doomed. Still, the big signing in the winter break, Jan-Ingwer Callsen-Bracker, has promised to help 'shore things up' so we shall see...

Comment

Dagenham & Redbridge vs Solihull Moors

Taking advantage of their discount ticket offer to visit a new ground for the first time. Will be using my time there to try and convince everyone present to stop using the #DRFC hashtag when referring to their club online.

Comment

Hopefully Wealdstone v Weston-Super-Mare. Depends on my state of mind.

Comment

Carlisle v FGR

The possibility of seeing one or both of our new signings has raised my excitement level from ‘non-existent’ to ‘vaguely interested’.

Comment

Just at my first pre season game (summer football over here) 2.0 win and more importantly I caught and threw back a match ball for the first time since I was about 14

Comment

Went to Widnes v Runcorn Town tonight, which attracted over 250 to the Halton Stadium. Widnes won 2-0 with goals early in each half, but could have got five or six with better finishing. On this performance it was difficult to see how Town are third in the league (second before kickoff)

Comment

Sheffield Wednesday 3-1 Reading

Strange game with an awful lot of untidy play from both sides. Felt as if the first goal would be crucial and we got it in a splendid TALKING POINT. Nuhiu scored, everyone celebrated then the big screen broadcast the replay which showed it was offside. The Reading players went nuts at this and hilariously started pointing to the screen, the ref rightly gave them short shrift. Chris Gunter led the protests, he was a right tosspot all night, niggly fouls, backchat and he caught the ball when he thought it had gone out for a throw whereupon the assistant flagged to say it was still in play and we suddenly had a free kick.

The game spun on a ten minute spell early in the second half. Cameron Dawson made a tremendous double save from Kermogant, then we went up the other end and doubled our lead. Reading hit the post then their defence went to sleep and Boyd scored for game over. Reading showed a general lack of urgency even after they pulled a goal back which led me to suspect they really didn't want a replay.

Sat just behind the directors box and noted the Blairite presence in there - current MPs Clive Betts and Angela Smith plus David Blunkett. No sign of his dog. Or the nanny he got the visa for.

Very agreeable evening overall and think I'll take in Maltby Main v Athersley Recreation this afternoon.

Comment

That Boyd goal was weird. It's like they all couldn't see him in some kind of cloaking device

Comment

Kicking down first half, always a bad omen. WsM are wearing sort of light turquoise shirts with black sleeves. Shouldn't work, but does.

And we take the lead!

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                                      Just at my first pre season game (summer football over here) 2.0 win and more importantly I caught and threw back a match ball for the first time since I was about 14
                                      You're not supposed to catch it, you're supposed to head it straight back.

Comment

First time I've seen the new stand since the roof blew off. It looks very bleak...

Comment

1-0 at half time. Both sides have hit the metalwork, but no more goals.

More importantly, the guest ale is Boon Doggle, which is most pleasant.

Comment

Absolutely stunning goal to make it 2-0.

Comment

The WsM keeper appears to have a obsession for dribbling the ball out of his area. It'll cost him as some point. Hopefully today...

Comment

Stones' defender sent off for second dubious yellow card.

Comment

Are WsM sponsored by McDonalds?

Anyway the buggers have pulled a goal back. Tricky last five minutes...

Comment

Working...
                                                  X