No announcement yet.

RIP Jimmy Armfield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just love this picture of Armfield (in the red sweater) at the end of the 1966 World Cup Final, this is a man who would have been lifting the trophy himself but for injury yet there's not a happier person in the shot :

It chimes with this story :

"Commentator Mike Ingham once asked me about the images of me on the field next to Moore after we'd won. I was smiling and he asked whether it had been difficult not playing.

"My answer was simple - isn't it just better that we won?”
    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 23-01-2018, 12:55.

Comment

Did Armfield do the commentaries in the early 80's for English teams in the EC/CWC and UEFA cup?

Comment

Probably, he'd retired from management by then...

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post
          Did Armfield do the commentaries in the early 80's for English teams in the EC/CWC and UEFA cup?
          Bryon Butler was one for sure.

Comment

Clearly a lifetime of experience, a great radio voice, a real degree of wisdom about the game and a pretty much universal endorsement of his character and personality. One question came to my mind though when listening to the coverage of his life. In view of the fact that he was clearly influential in the recruitment of Venables and Hoddle as England managers, was he in any position of influence when it came to the FA rejecting Clough given that he had had to pick up the chaos left at Leeds United after Clough was sacked?

Comment

I think his FA role came in the 90s, which would be after Clough was still a serious contender for the job.
              I'm not sure Armfield would necessarily be against Clough - he and Venables were not exactly cut from the same cloth, nor he and Hoddle. I read in one of the tributes that he was persuaded to champion Venables by canvassing fans at Grimsby.

Clough's rejections were down to the FA wanting a safe pair of hands after Revie had fucked off to the desert, hence Greenwood. Clough also predictably antagonised the interview panel. Bobby Robson was similarly more diplomatic, and more of a coach, and by 1982 there must have been rumours about Clough's refuelling habits, and his enthusiasm for money.

Comment

Originally posted by Felicity, I guess so View Post
                I used to like the lack of hype and excess in his reports from grounds (all the more noticeable in the Alan Green era). The most common phrase (and I heard it llast night, too, about Matthews in a repeated interview after the Swansea game):

"What 'appened was..."
                I'm not sure he would drop the "h". That generation were quite self-conscious about correct pronunciation in formal speech, which is how he would view his radio voice.

Comment

No, he definitely did drop the H

Comment

Fair enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate les bleus View Post

I really hope that Blackpool fans are able to find an appropriate way to mark his passing without filling the pockets of the shitheads who run their club.
                      It seems emblematic of the farce that the Oystons have turned Blackpool in to that their game yesterday was
                      postponed due to a waterlogged pitch. It looks like there was a tribute to Armfield outside the ground by his statue anyway, which was maybe the best compromise for boycotting supporters.

Comment

Working...
                      X