So, Amsterdam football then?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, Amsterdam football then?

Pretty sure we have covered this on threads passim but can’t find a specific one.

I have to be in Amsterdam next Saturday night for work so was hoping to see a game prior. Ajax are away so my options are below :

Amsterdamsche’s game is the one that immediately grabs me (especially as it seems to be something of a derby) but any particular advice? Ideally would like to check the kick-off time at least.

If you're still there on Monday, Jong Ajax (the reserve team) are playing Cambuur (ex-Eredivisie) in the Jupiler League (Dutch second tier). Why I am recommending an Ajax (hawk, spit) game, though, is beyond me. The ones you list are all much of a muchness to me.

Comment

1445 kickoff I think?
      http://www.voetbalopzaterdag.com/com..._hoofdklasse_A

Comment

Is this diagram of the Dutch pyramid helpful?

Eredivisie
        18 clubs
        Eerste Divisie
        20 clubs
        Tweede Divisie
        18 clubs
        Saturday Group
        18 clubs
        Sunday Group18 clubs
        Saturday A
        16 clubs
        Saturday B
        16 clubs
        Sunday A16 clubs Sunday B
        16 clubs
        West I West II South I East North West I West II South I South II East North
        Sat.1A
        14 clubs
        Sat.1B
        14 clubs
        Sat.1C
        14 clubs
        Sat. 1D14 clubs Sat.1E14 clubs Sun.1A14 clubs Sun.1B14 clubs Sun.1C14 clubs Sun.1D
        14 clubs
        Sun.1E
        14 clubs
        Sun.1F
        14 clubs
        2 Groups 2 Groups 2 Groups 2 Groups 2 Groups 2 Groups 2 Groups 2 Groups 2 Groups 2 Groups 2 Groups
        4 Groups 4 Groups 4 Groups 4 Groups 4 Groups 4 Groups 4 Groups 4 Groups 4 Groups 4 Groups 4 Groups
        8 Groups 7 Groups 5 Groups 4 Groups 5 Groups 7 Groups 2 Groups 7 Groups 9 Groups 8 Groups 5 Groups
        North West I South I South II East North
        5 Groups 4 Groups 5 Groups 8 Groups 7 Groups 6 Groups

Comment

Kozakken Boys are 2nd in Div.3, and the leading scorers. The home side, ASV De Dijk, lost 0-3 at home to leaders Katwijk recently so I think Kozakken will be fancied for the away win in that one.

Comment

I'd go for Amsterdamsche solely on the basis of visiting the "Good Enough" Sportpark

Comment

Is that what it means, excellent! They also appear to have this sign :

Originally posted by dogbeak View Post
              Nope. Look an inviting bunch though:

Thanks for the advice all, a bit worried that AFC's website doesn't see to agree with everywhere else with regard to their being a home fixture that day but sure I can check that out.

Comment

I've been to Amsterdamsche. It's a lovely little ground with an amazing clubhouse.

It's in a really anonymous bit of town though, so I'd recommend going straight to the ground.

Alternatively if you go to the science park there's a lot of amateur football clubs - I'm not sure what level but they all have their little grounds.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                  I'd go for Amsterdamsche solely on the basis of visiting the "Good Enough" Sportpark
                  I'd go on the basis of them bringing some top chevron action:

Alternately, you could go to DWS if you are a fan of former league champions relegated to slumming it. Otherwise, Amsterdam's pretty much a one-club town, but it's easy enough to get to Utrecht, IJmuiden (for the excellently named Telstar), Haarlem (who got fucked out of the league for going bankrupt and swapped their excellent colours and name for a worse kit and the horrific Haarlem-Kennemerland nomenclature, but kept the nice rickety old stadium).

Comment

I won’t really have the time to go further afield (I may be heading straight to the ground from the airport) sand I’m pretty sold on Amsterdamsche now anyway, the chevron’s playing a part in that. Cheers to both of you for the further advice.

Comment

Ooh, I'd forgotten about (and absolutely passed over on my first viewing of this thread) my prior discussion of AFC and praise for the name of Telstar. Makes me miss Geoffrey de Ste. Croix. Never did make it to a game with the fella.

Comment

Beak! You don't post here enough. Fix, pls.

Comment

Yes, I meant to say that it was nice to see you post too. I wondered where you’d gone when I saw your old posts on the subject.

Comment

That's very nice of you both to say!

Comment

Hmmm, I have a quandary. The game at Amsterdamsche on Saturday is their fifth tier Hoofdklasse "Saturday" side and their first team are away in the third tier Tweed Divisie on Sunday.

I'm not sure how many people will turn up to watch the Hoofdklasse side and I tend to avoid "reserve" teams, anyone got any local info?

I may plump for ASV De Dijk v Kozakken Boys instead (especially as I've found out that the visitors were "named after the Cossack troops in the Imperial Russian Army, who liberated Werkendam from French occupation in 1813.") which is slightly less conveniently located but still doable.

Comment

Working...
                              X