Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rodney Fern 1948-2018

A Millers' hero.

A Leicester hero (at least of mine) too. RIP.

Comment

RIP

Always reminded me of Marty Feldman

Comment

I'm getting a cross between Charlie George and one of The Fenn Street Gang.

RIP.

Comment

Sad news. Excellent player in his time.

And a proper old school footballing baldie, the likes of whom you never see today. I was hoping one of the other two players in the picture was Trevor Womble, but it appears their Rotherham careers didn't overlap.

Comment

I always think of him as Leicester, because the Cup Final was the first game I saw on TV, and perhaps because he gets a mention in Brian Glanville's Goalkeepers are Different. But if I saw him play it was probably for Rotherham at Exeter. Should never have chucked out those old programmes, I could spend hours with them now. (Mind you, I can't honestly pay the kind of documentary tribute, where the interviewee reminisces about the privilege of seeing him play. In reality, I would have appreciated his talent with a high-pitched squeal of "baldie" before running on the pitch at the end and brushing past him so I could touch one of ours).

He doesn't seem to have merited a mention on most media websites, only the local ones, which is a shame.

Comment

There was a nice tribute on Radio Sheffield tonight with an old teacher of his talking about how he had to mark him in a teachers v pupils match when Fern was 13 or 14. Apparently the teacher had to be substituted at half time due to exhaustion and vomiting.

They also talked about his three goals in the 6-0 win against Chelsea, you'll be pleased to hear GO.

Comment

Working...
              X