Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Racist bullying at Chelsea

not entirely surprising but really unpleasant

Graham Rix was briefly manager at Oxford and played for Arsenal.he was jailed for sex with a minor.££

Bloody hell. That’s a real throwback to the early seventies.

Comment

It happened in the nineties and early years of the millennium. Gwyn Williams only left the club in
      2006. 11 years ago.

Comment

In sadly related news :

Newcastle United set to decide Peter Beardsley’s future next week

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
          It happened in the nineties and early years of the millennium. Gwyn Williams only left the club in
          2006. 11 years ago.
          Yeah, I know. I meant “it’s like a throwback to the early seventies”.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
            I've heard suggestions that Beardsley might not be the nicest or most pleasant character to spend time with, but I'd be surprised and disappointed if the racism allegations were true.

Comment

Spotting two young African players struggling on the climbing apparatus, Beardsley is alleged to have told one of them: “You lot should be good at this.”
              Damn, Peter Beardsley. He seemed so nice...

Comment

Indeed, the Beardsley thing is surprising to me, too: I mean, it may have been a misinterpretation of his comment, but it strikes me as a poor turn of phrase on his part either way up.

I'll refrain from commenting on the other story since the last time I deigned to suggest on here that there might be (or might have been) any kind of issue with racism at Chelsea, I was roundly chastised for it.

Comment

In the 90s I'd be surprised if there wasn't racism at many clubs. Many of those coaches would have spent their playing careers hearing a cacophony of abuse from the terraces and yet somehow not hearing any of it at all.

Comment

Well if that’s the environment that shouty England captains were nurtured in it explains a lot.

Comment

So what John Terry was really shouting was "I want you to understand Anton that when I was calling you a Black Cunt in the environment I trained that was normative behaviour in my peer group which was encouraged by leading influencers. I'm the real victim here."

Comment

That article is horrific, the level abuse is just beyond and that one of the men carrying out the alleged abuse is a convicted sex offender. Surely people knew.

Comment

The article is indeed horrific. The influence of Gwyn Williams is particularly troubling, given what’s very strongly hinted at.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                            So what John Terry was really shouting was "I want you to understand Anton that when I was calling you a Black Cunt in the environment I trained that was normative behaviour in my peer group which was encouraged by leading influencers. I'm the real victim here."
                            Like, as they say on the Twitters.

Comment

Why did the police take no action? Might they change their minds now given new evidence coming forward?

I would hope that the sexually abusive aspects of these two characters are not used to "explain" the racism.

As an aside, this also reminded me why I put Ken Bates in my dead pool. Bates and these two in a triple fatality would be very sweet.

Beardsley, I dunno, he's a generation after Rix and is part of the Italia 90 nostalgia. In my memory his name is twinned with Lineker, whose reputation is spotless, and Italia 90 is seen as a watershed for football player culture at least trying to enter the civilized age, despite the associated laddism* and, say, Gazza parading in false tits.

*e.g. as in Peter Hook's account of the World In Motion period
                              Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 13-01-2018, 01:25.

Comment

Originally posted by HORN View Post
                                Yeah, I know. I meant “it’s like a throwback to the early seventies”.
                                I went through this stuff in the 80s at school and in youth football.
                                Of course people never believed you at the time and even nowadays when you reminisce, you still see the look on their faces like you are embellishing the story somewhat.
                                The UK have lost many a potentially great footballer as most would just walk away and go and play for black teams at Park level so as not to put up with a that shit.

Comment

Sorry to hear that TG

There's a documentary about Rix's time as coach of the Chelsea Youth team

Comment

And old work colleague of mine played against - let's say a well-known ex England international - at youth level. He said much the same as you TG. This not-yet England player was constantly abusive and racist as were a load of his teammates. Horrible stuff all round.

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post
                                      I went through this stuff in the 80s at school and in youth football.
                                      Of course people never believed you at the time and even nowadays when you reminisce, you still see the look on their faces like you are embellishing the story somewhat.
                                      The UK have lost many a potentially great footballer as most would just walk away and go and play for black teams at Park level so as not to put up with a that shit.
                                      That's the thing that really puzzles me. Abusive scumbags abusing their power, particularly over young people, exist outside of football. To a degree you could find a lot of this bullshit everywhere. The perspective within football, on this issue should be different though, because even in the eighties, there was a lot of money riding on producing a good young player for the first team, and even in the eighties it was becoming increasingly clear to even the dullest tool in the box that black people could be quite good at football. I don't understand why someone running a club would happily employ people to run their youth system who would throw away half their players on principle, but only after torturing and breaking them.

This and that Barry Bennell cunt are only the tip of the fucking iceberg for football. It's going to be interesting to see how football deals with this. Badly I suspect.

Comment

If you read Woody and Nord, about gareth Southgate and Andy Woodman who were both in the youth team together at Palace you can see coaches saw it as their business to ensure that anyone who failed should be so broken they would never be a success at another team. People around talented young people quite often want to control them, and are often intensely jealous of those who have a career in front of them. When you add the racism that was obviously standard at Chelsea tot he mix I think it's very understandable

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                          That's the thing that really puzzles me. Abusive scumbags abusing their power, particularly over young people, exist outside of football. To a degree you could find a lot of this bullshit everywhere. The perspective within football, on this issue should be different though, because even in the eighties, there was a lot of money riding on producing a good young player for the first team, and even in the eighties it was becoming increasingly clear to even the dullest tool in the box that black people could be quite good at football. I don't understand why someone running a club would happily employ people to run their youth system who would throw away half their players on principle, but only after torturing and breaking them.

This and that Barry Bennell cunt are only the tip of the fucking iceberg for football. It's going to be interesting to see how football deals with this. Badly I suspect.
                                          Berba
                                          There wasn't that much money in football in the 80s. Footballers still didn't cost much and you didn't have to pay them much money so there wasn't a massive amount of money saving for bringing through players.

Also Britain was still an overtly racist society with a bigoted Prime Minister and press and monkey chanting on the terraces was the norm rather than the exception.

I really surprised that people are surprised by this especially in the light of the Mark Sampson revelations.

Comment

A few responses,
                                            "Indeed, the Beardsley thing is surprising to me, too: I mean, it may have been a misinterpretation of his comment, but it strikes me as a poor turn of phrase on his part either way up"

It is really these kind of comments that saddens me. Call a spade a spade (sic) and trying to excuse such comments allows these people to continue in their roles and maintain their ignorant attitudes.

The racist abuse did not really bother me much, by the age of about 9 you become immune to it and somewhat expect it to a certain degree.
                                            What is really annoying is when you are stuck on the bench to give an inferior player a game just based on race or you lose a cup final because those higher up put pressure on the coach to pick more white players as it would look better on team photographs or dropping the black Captain for the white one when you go to pick up the trophy.

Its that kind of bullshit that caused many black players to just give up in their mid-teens as it is quite wearing when you have to deal with puberty at the same time.

Linking to another long lost thread. there was a debate on OTF after Euro 2004 where I said the first thing I would do as FA technical director would be to sack all coaches. At the time I addressed the technical deficiencies of the English coaching system.
                                            Although i didn't mention it at the time, it is the ignorant, bullying and bigoted attitude of many coaches that sully the system.

Many of these coaches grew up at a time when such behaviour was acceptable and have carried on applying such attitudes and encouraging a culture to continue under their watch. This continues to this day in many places as some of these revelations show. I am interested to see how seriously these complaints are taken as I expect many more will follow if players are encouraged to come forward.

Comment

The most surprising thing for me is that people are still surprised that middle-aged (and younger, and especially older) white men turn out to be racists and say racist shit. Just look at the President of the United States once he thinks he is in a safe envionment. My own experience in the work place is that most of them are, so why would football be any different? When people like Beardsley and Terry spout stuff like this they aren't being misinterpreted or using an unfortunate turn of phrase, they're letting the mask slip and revealing the real mindset that is deeply ingrained in people, fed by ignorant family and peers and the vile national press that is a mouthpiece for bigoted cunts. Just look at Malky Mackay to see what kind of person they can be when they think they are safe to say what they really think. I'd be most surprised if there weren't plenty more who are involved in the game, but are canny enough to keep a lid on it.
                                              Last edited by Sean of the Shed; 13-01-2018, 15:57.

Comment

See also sexism in every walk of life.

Comment

I had a break from watching football from about 1982-ish until 1994. One of the most noticeable differences - apart from the lack of tight shorts and perms - was overt racism appeared to have gone. However, of course, it had only gone into hiding - and not very successfully. From a personal perspective, there was always the sniff of racism about Cardiff City. There was certainly a fair amount of racist abuse amongst Cardiff supporters - although, I expect, not as much as in the previous era when I occasionally went to Ninian Park. However, there was also a period or, perhaps, two when Cardiff had suspiciously few and sometimes no black players in the squad or, if there were, they seemed marginalised. Of course, what wasn't under such conjecture was Malky Mackay's racism; albeit there was no suggestion, as I recall, that the club were implicated in that. My point is that, if it was at Cardiff and Chelsea in relatively recent times, it was elsewhere as well.
                                                  Last edited by Bored Of Education; 13-01-2018, 18:01.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X