No announcement yet.

Dive,dive,dive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Makes more sense than suspending them for a game against a subsequent opponent, when their club can pick another player in their place. Reducing the number of players a team has is the prime deterrent Football uses, as well...

Comment

I'm not sure if fernandinho should have been booked for diving there. If some lunatic shapes to boot you into space, you're allowed jump out of the way.

Comment

I'm not watching, but did simply jump out of the way, or did he land in a heap and turn to the ref demanding his team be awarded a free-kick? That might have affected the referee's view of what happened.

Re: sin-bins, I can see all sorts of objections. Policing for one, who makes the call? And also refs already being pretty circumspect about booking players for diving, even when waving away claims for penalties/other (cf. Hazard and Ayew not being booked). Making the punishment more onerous seems likely to make them even more cautious about calling players up for it. The risks of being wrong are amplified.
        And 15 minutes is onerous. According to one (non-authoritative) source, the average time for a red card is the 60th minute. So a 15 minute sin-binning is practically half a sending off in terms of it's effect.

Comment

Isn't that the idea of of a sin-bin, roughly?

Though I'm not sure creating a scenario where the words "bin" and "diving" are placed in regular close proximity is a completely flawless scheme...

Comment

Working...
          X