Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bradford Park Avenue

an archaeological view

This is a fascinating story. I attended the last competitive game at Park Avenue in 1973. In fact I believe the picture at the head of the article is from that game – the match programme shows that Great Harwood played in sky blue – which was attended by only around 1100 spectators. The overhead shot is one of my favourite photographs, with both football and cricket (as well as bowls) being played. Park Avenue was a lovely ground.

Comment

Only 1100 spectators? That's not bad for a game in the northern premier league.

Comment

The publishing endeavour mirrored their wider efforts for the old club, which they had revived by turning it into a fan-owned operation in the vein of Manchester’s FC United.
        *eyebrows shoot through the roof and launch into orbit*

Comment

I mean, FC United may be a busted flush, just about, but I'm just about certain that PA aren't fan-owned (even though the terrible Bob Blackburn isn't there any more).

Comment

I thought I read the bloke who bought BPA from Blackburn had converted them to a Community Club, with pretty cheap annual membership allowing a one member one vote scenario. Was that just a figleaf scheme?

Anyways, IÂ’ve always had a bit of a fascination with BPA. Partly because of the unusual bracketed (Park Avenue) suffix, and partly because they were the first club I remember as a nerdy football-obsessed kid failing to gain Football League re-election and then going bust a few years later. I was pleased to see them relaunch and clamber up a few steps of the pyramid, even if Bob Blackburn was a bit of an arse and they were stuck at an unappealing athletics stadium.

Comment

Cor. Bob Blackburn. Remember him?

Comment

He wasn't a bit of an arse. He was a crook and a liar. He also banned me from the ground and hates me. Good.

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
                  He wasn't a bit of an arse. He was a crook and a liar. He also banned me from the ground and hates me. Good.
                  That's a story I don't know much about. Is there a thread somewhere?

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
                    That's a story I don't know much about. Is there a thread somewhere?
                    There is not any particular thread, but there are threads going back to 2008 either on BPA or NPL specific threads. If you do an advanced search of "Park Avenue" on "search entire threads" and put in EIM as the poster then you should get the full contents of his bile duct on this subject.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                      There is not any particular thread, but there are threads going back to 2008 either on BPA or NPL specific threads. If you do an advanced search of "Park Avenue" on "search entire threads" and put in EIM as the poster then you should get the full contents of his bile duct on this subject.
                      I saw them last week- a 2-1 FAT loss at Stourbridge.

Generally on our search system- won't that enquiry only find threads started by EIM?

Comment

Ah yes, so it does, and there are other threads that he didn't start but still had his two penn'orth on.

Comment

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.u...n_t_even_play/

It's all to do with this. I'll do a full write up when I'm not on my phone.

Comment

Working...
                          X