No announcement yet.

UEFA Nations League

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was it even in your* consciousness that this finals tournament was imminent a week ago?

* - not SD in particular, but a generic 'your'

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
      Does Kompany commit to this given his new job?
      He'd probably be a bit more committed if Belgium were in it...

Comment

Is Ronaldo likely to play for Portugal? It will certainly add to the appeal of the finals if he is.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
          Was it even in your* consciousness that this finals tournament was imminent a week ago?

* - not SD in particular, but a generic 'your'
          I only remembered it was even happening this morning when a BBC Breakfast pundit said Harry Kane "now had to lift himself [after Spurs' CL defeat] for the Nations League Finals".

Suffice to say I don't think we're going to be awash with St George's flags on cars and beer garden renditions of Three Lions by Sunday. Which is a shame in a way (both for Southgate's team, and the women).
          Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 03-06-2019, 12:13.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
            And it's on Sky.
            There was a story in the Times a couple of weeks back saying that Sky were exploring making the final free to air should England reach it.

Comment

The venue for Thursday is predicted to have a mild temperature of 61 degrees but humidity of 75%. May also piss it down.

Are we expecting the games to be played at the tempo and aggression levels of a competitive tournament? Motivation may depend on how often the players get big games, so put a fiver on the Swiss to be the most up for it. Portugal have least to prove but are hosts; the Dutch are the most improved. England: Southgate has to motivate a squad with some fatigued very rich players who might want to save it for 2020. But they might want to send a fuck you to the AEB :-)

Comment

You can get 7-1 Switzerland for the trophy with many bookies. The others are too short - bookies understandably cagey about such a new event with so many unknowns about how the teams will approach it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post

I only remembered it was even happening this morning when a BBC Breakfast pundit said Harry Kane "now had to lift himself [after Spurs' CL defeat] for the Nations League Finals".

Suffice to say I don't think we're going to be awash with St George's flags on cars and beer garden renditions of Three Lions by Sunday. Which is a shame in a way (both for Southgate's team, and the women).
                  It’s not a shame at all

Comment

The England fans are treating this like a major tournament.

[URL]https://twitter.com/SamWallaceTel/status/1136388738806964224[/URL]

Comment

Fuckin hell. I'm assuming most of those wanks are 40 something middle management fannies on tour as well.

Comment

They look a bit younger than that

Comment

Some of them seem to actually be boys, such as the one with the stick.

Comment

Jesus. I guess self policing by older experienced heads doesn't happen among the England travelling massive. Or the experienced heads have Combat 18 tattoos.

Comment

Dark Fruits swigging instahoolies. Casuals cosplayers aping what they've seen on telly. Our national mindset needs a reboot. This can't go on.

Comment

First I've heard of Dark Fruit. I'm almost impressed they're managed to make Strongbow less appetizing.

Comment

Alcopops for a new generation

Comment

"English football lurched back to the bad old days" according to the Guardian. Not sure if that's the bad old days of Euro 2016, or the bad old days of tossing bicycles into Amsterdam canals last year. Fucking planks. I thought the 10 German Bombers song had died a death at Lincoln, until some twats started singing it at Newport away.

Comment

Can probably expect more of this kind of thing, unfortunately.

Comment

Guimaraes is the club in Portugal with the worst reputation for hooliganism. Whereas Porto's ultras are full on Mafia, they would generally stay away from nonsense like this. Guimaraes ultras (white knights)a just plain football hooligans might be tempted, however.

Pity, really, as Guimaraes is a lovely city with so much history.

Comment

Tonight's game is going to be about how well both these sides remember each other, only having been fully back together for 48 hours. A real test for both managers. Hope there's no more problems from our idiot element.

Comment

Read a quote yesterday from some senior police liaison chappy who was basically saying that they are seeing a lot of younger lads wanting to act like twats.

Got a mate out there who travels to every England game and he reckons that the more accessible locations attract 'stag do' type groups of lads, most of whom haven't even got tickets.

Cannot understand it myself, when watching England away for me the best bits are usually interacting with locals, helped by the fact that we were mind numbingly boring when I used to go.

Comment

If this was another nation's fans doing this, would it be so easily tolerated? I'm trying to imagine, say, Mexico or Japan fans showing up at every major tournament, getting into fights with police, forming large drunken crowds and leaving piles of trash and bottles behind...I'd have to think that the team would face some sort of punishment. I don't know if it should be being banned from the competition, but I'd think that there would be at least *something*. FIFA and UEFA just seem to shrug their shoulders and just accept that this is what happens when England shows up.

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
                                                If this was another nation's fans doing this, would it be so easily tolerated? I'm trying to imagine, say, Mexico or Japan fans showing up at every major tournament, getting into fights with police, forming large drunken crowds and leaving piles of trash and bottles behind...I'd have to think that the team would face some sort of punishment. I don't know if it should be being banned from the competition, but I'd think that there would be at least *something*. FIFA and UEFA just seem to shrug their shoulders and just accept that this is what happens when England shows up.
                                                Every hotelier in the EU shrugs their shoulders and accepts this is what happens when the English turn up.

https://youtu.be/zNrwcAQCtkE

The tournament anthem is quite a rousing one, but can't see it catching on on the terraces. Sounds more like something that would be played in the background on Britain's Got Talent while a Hungarian circus act leapt over each other on trampolines through hoops of fire.

Comment

As Rogin notes, there is a way in which this has become so ingrained that all of the actors take their traditional roles in the manner of Punch and Judy or Comnedia dell'Arte. The English break things, insult people and piss everywhere, the local gendarmes get to gear up and swing their batons, the press gets to express genuine concerns.

Croatia is an interesting example of what might happen if another country tried to fill the English role (though there is a distinction to be made there about actions inside of stadia as opposed to the city as a whole).

Comment

Oh cheers, I fly there tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X