No announcement yet.

UEFA Nations League

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I only saw the last 10 minutes or so but it really looked like Wales were hanging on at the end there.

Comment

That header by Griezemann was brilliant, but is there a less cool person in the whole of europe than Antoine Griezmann? He makes theresa May look like Mohammed Ali in his pomp.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
        I only saw the last 10 minutes or so but it really looked like Wales were hanging on at the end there.
        Apart from the five goals they nearly scored in that time frame.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
          Apart from the five goals they nearly scored in that time frame.
          True... but we were still hanging on. I've said it before and I'll say it again - no-one finds new and interesting ways of completely fucking ourselves over quite like the Welsh.

Comment

Gibraltar held on and still has a chance of winning the group.

Germany being relegated by a Holland-France stitchup would have a certain appeal to many.

Comment

The referee in the France vs Germany game did not put in his greatest ever shift. If the penalty for Germany was dubious, the one he gave France was absurd. And not giving Germany a penalty for the foul on Hummels in the 86rd minute was more than just a little careless.

It's a strange thing: the third game Germany didn't deserve to lose, and the third game Germany didn't deserve to win. They should have two more points than they now have.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                By all means O'Neill should go but it doesn't matter in the short term because the players aren't good enough either,We can wish for whatever new broom would come in but who are the world beaters who aren't in the squad,we'll still be looking at dross like Keogh and Arter, Georgia must be dying for another cut at us.
                I'd rather they lose while at least thinking about considering to make an attempt to at least try to play football.

The current shite is such an assault on the senses.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
                  Ukraine have been promoted to League A, after defeating Czechia, and will now play in the League B semis.
                  Assuming that they don't finish in the top two in their qualifying group.

Comment

What are you guys talking about.

No, really...

Comment

Bugger. There was me thinking that, due to work commitments, I wouldn't have to go to Dublin again to watch Wales and we only go and bloody win!

Comment

That's true. It will be six extra competitive games for any Tier A player who reaches the final and doesn't miss one. That's a lot compared to trundling through a few friendlies where no tackles are flying in and you probably get a rest at some point. It's probably a greater benefit the farther you go down the tiers, and countries are getting noticed whose games would be ignored in a group of six or seven.

It's also a chance to clear out dead wood before the EC qualifiers start, so for example you don't get lumbered with MON for a full campaign. Coaches who had a poor World Cup like Joachim Löw get one last chance at redemption or a confirmation that their role is untenable.
                        Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 16-10-2018, 22:48.

Comment

South should give the gig to whichever Dragon's Denizen finishes 2nd in the pres election. Then merge with an upcoming Euro power like Finland or Gibraltar

Meanwhile, NI fans are impressed by Jamal Lewis but he has been at fault for a goal in all 3 games. Kyle Vassell looked lost but has only had brief subs.

Comment

The Denis O'Brien money needs to go. The Ireland gig should not be a retirement payoff for over the hill high profile managers. Get in a young, cheap and motivated manager who is aware of what has happened in football since the turn of the century, and will actually put in 40 hours a week.

Comment

SD, the Finals don't represent any extra games for the four League A group winners.

Comment

It's two matches (semi final and either the final or bronze match) and these four teams are placed into the Euro qualifying groups that have five rather than six teams, saving a home and away qualifier.

Comment

Originally posted by Reginald Christ
                                  Well, that was as grim as expected. Ireland are a colossal waste of time.

Agree with elguapo4 that even sacking O’Neill won’t do much as the players aren’t good enough. Also agree with AP that if Ireland are condemned to lose to superior teams they might as well try to play attacking football. But we’ve all been here before, several times. We have to break out of this boom and bust cycle where we

a) appoint an astute, experienced manager whose best work is well behind them
                                  b) qualify for a tournament by being organised and tough to beat, usually with a heroic 1-0 victory over a major nation
                                  c) stink out the place when we get there
                                  d) give the manager a new contract immediately before the qualifiers for the next tournament
                                  e) watch in horror as it all falls apart
                                  f) resume from step a)

Someone on Twitter asked how many genuinely entertaining games Ireland had been involved in since the 2002 World Cup and the responses don’t make for encouraging reading. We just don’t play good football. We haven’t for a long time. And we’ll be moving in ever decreasing circles if we don’t learn the lessons of campaigns like this one and reform our football infrastructure. Will it ever happen? It doesn’t feel like it will.
                                  Surely this requires a brave appointment? My pick would be Stephen Kenny of Dundalk (I honestly can't believe his name hasn't been mentioned yet either). I think you need to sell it to him as a project - like how Dundalk was sold to him - and then give him the time and backing to turn it around at all levels. I'd argue he could be persuaded and that he would need the freedom to be able to pick players from the League of Ireland so that more dynamic squads can be selected. It should not be a barrier to playing, especially when some LoI players have played more European football than their UK based counterparts in recent years ad, in Dundalk's case, more than held their own.

Comment

Yep, Stephen Kenny was the name in my head when I said young, cheap and motivated manager.

Comment

Bookies have him third favourite behind Manager Mick and Roy. Wouldn't have either of them. Mick failed as Irish manager at the most important hour. RMK is a hero of Irish football, but not management material.

Comment

Please let it be Manager Mick and Roy

Comment

In pretty much any other country in the world the manager of a team that won four of the last five national titles would be the unquestioned first choice. Not in Ireland, thankfully (speaking as a Dundalk fan)

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                                            It's two matches (semi final and either the final or bronze match) and these four teams are placed into the Euro qualifying groups that have five rather than six teams, saving a home and away qualifier.
                                            It's not an equal swap, though. Semis and final (against Portugal and France, say) versus two games against a Pot 6 team. Qualitatively it's tougher.

Comment

MON's not been fired yet, though.

Comment

Yes, the FAI decided to reward his failure in the previous campaign with a lucrative two year contract extension.

So it will cost money to get rid of them.

Unless he steps down.

Comment

Stats (a bit rushed so I stand to be corrected):

Iceland are relegated and Ukraine promoted. Germany, Croatia and Poland are probably down.

Still 100%: Portugal, Belgium, Ukraine, Bosnia, Finland, Georgia

0%: San Marino, Lithuania, Slovakia, N Ireland, Iceland

Biggest positive surprises: Gibraltar, Luxembourg

Shittest displays by recent (post-2014) finals tournament participants: Germany, Iceland, Croatia (so far), Poland, N Ireland, ROI, Albania, Sweden

Comment

Originally posted by seand View Post
                                                    In pretty much any other country in the world the manager of a team that won four of the last five national titles would be the unquestioned first choice. Not in Ireland, thankfully (speaking as a Dundalk fan)
                                                    Not for your opponents last night either, though it's a different situation obviously.

This leads me to ask something I've long wondered, how is the LOI perceived by Irish football supporters in general? Does the level of focus on the English leagues in Ireland see the LOI equated with "non-league" (not by supporters of it's clubs, obviously) as is often the case with the Welsh Premier League?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X