Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UEFA Nations League

http://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/media...d=2508466.html

Good to see Iceland at Europe's top table.

But presumably this will all but end friendlies against nations from other confederations, except in warm up matches before World Cups? Not that such games are any good usually, mind.
    Last edited by Kevin S; 11-10-2017, 10:40.

Comment

What the fuck is this? I have never heard of this before. I bet the top European club side just fucking love this idea.

Comment

Apart from the predictability of Scotland being in the third tier this looks like the sort of thing I'd have to read several times to have a chance of understanding it.

I'm not going to do that, I'll wait for one of you to summarise it for me.

Comment

See the Euro 2020 thread. The gist is four divisions selected by ranking. Each league is guaranteed one berth in the finals, so the bottom tier, containing the 16 worst teams in Europe, is guaranteed a finals place. Crackers.

Comment

That's not right, is it? As I understand it, the top teams in the whole thing go through (can't remember the amount and on phone). If they have already qualified through, erm, qualifiers, the spot goes to the next team down that hasn't qualified.

Comment

No it is four teams - one from each tier. The "next team down that hasn't qualified from the, er, qualifiers" applies to all the tiers.

Comment

Ah, sorry for thread creep, the overlap of this with the EC20Q had initially passed me by.

Given that 20 qualify from the qualifiers, there won't be many of the 12 A-League teams left for the playoffs at all, I'd have thought. If the qualifiers go with ranking, in fact, you would have lost all 12 of the A-League and 8 of the 12 B-League teams. Leaving this for the four playoffs:

1. B v B and B v B
                2. C v C and C v C
                3. C v C and C v C
                4. D v D and D v D

Comment

Each League is split into Groups of 4.
                  Each of the 4 groups of 3 provide a "winner" - the winners in Leagues B, C and D are promoted.
                  The four bottom sides in each of the three groups in Leagues A, B and C are relegated.

The four highest ranked sides in each League who have not gained a place at Euro 2020 through the traditional route go into a semi-final then a final (and a third place play off) to provide four League Winners.
                  The four League Winners gain a place at Euro2020

Simple ... sort of
                  Last edited by Jorge Porbillas; 11-10-2017, 12:20. Reason: Edited to add more info and clarification

Comment

And thence into a 24-team finals tournament. That always work smoothly.

Comment

Did the GAA help design this?

Comment

A few things from this Nations League stuff.

1. It has third place playoffs.
                        2. The Nations League happens even in World Cup years, so there'll be a 2020/2021 competition - but no "extra qualification" places from that.
                        3. League C has three groups of four teams and one of three teams. The team that finishes bottom in the three team group may not be relegated dependent on the ppg average of the teams that finished third in the other groups.

The thing I'm not 100% clear on is the extra Euro qualification places. If every side in Group A qualifies automatically then where does that extra place go? Pulling teams from other sections feels odd. The guidelines aren't clear. A few examples may be helpful.

Comment

This is Alan Partridge's Soccer-meter, brought to life.

Utterly gloriously insane and pointless

Comment

This seems a somewhat clearer explanation:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018–1...Nations_League

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2020_qualifying

Comment

The play-off could be a parachute for teams that fuck up in the proper qualifiers. If it had existed for 2018, for example, Holland would presumably get a play-off as the only League A team that finished 3rd in a qualifying group.

Lots of League B teams in that list finished 3rd in the group (so why are they in League B ffs?) - Austria, Wales, Slovakia, Ukraine, Bosnia, Czechs, Turkey. They could also be in this shake-up. OTOH under the UEFA 2016 qualifying system, those teams would have a play-off anyway.

The killer is still D v D and D v D. How the fuck can that happen?
                              Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 11-10-2017, 13:26.

Comment

What's to stop teams deliberately getting themselves relegated in order to give themselves a better shot at finishing number one in their section?

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                  What's to stop teams deliberately getting themselves relegated in order to give themselves a better shot at finishing number one in their section?
                                  Presumably this:

"The overall UEFA Nations League rankings will determine the composition of the draw pots for the subsequent European Qualifiers."

Comment

Quite, these playoffs are proper crazy shit. I can't understand why you don't have a 'default' playoff setting of

A v D and B v C

four times.

Comment

Presumably because the main selling point to the smaller nations was that they would have a place at Euro2020 for one of them

Comment

So, by 2022, England could theoretically be in League D?

Can anyone do a hypothetical overview on how League 1's group stage might pan out, I'm trying to work and work this out at the same time, and my head's hurting. Presumably there's some seeding, so the top seeded teams don't end up in the same group. I don't really get why 4 of those teams would be relegated, seems a tad harsh on the back of a few games.

Comment

Originally posted by Jorge Porbillas View Post
                                          Presumably this:

"The overall UEFA Nations League rankings will determine the composition of the draw pots for the subsequent European Qualifiers."
                                          Which is bonkers because it means the Nations League overrides world rankings and coefficients based on far bigger competitions, such as winning a World Cup.

Comment

Given the incessant hypothesising behind me on Monday night about possible play-off permutations, this will make watching football an absolute nightmare.
                                            Last edited by Bored Of Education; 11-10-2017, 19:35.

Comment

Presumably this:

But if you are, say, Scotland, and you know the FIFA rankings are always going to put you in a qualifying group with 2 or 3 or 4 stronger teams, why not take your chances, go down to pot 4 and use games against Gibraltar and Andorra to give you a back way in?

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                                But if you are, say, Scotland, and you know the FIFA rankings are always going to put you in a qualifying group with 2 or 3 or 4 stronger teams, why not take your chances, go down to pot 4 and use games against Gibraltar and Andorra to give you a back way in?
                                                Presumably this:

Comment

Originally posted by Anorak Smith View Post
                                                  So, by 2022, England could theoretically be in League D?

Can anyone do a hypothetical overview on how League 1's group stage might pan out, I'm trying to work and work this out at the same time, and my head's hurting. Presumably there's some seeding, so the top seeded teams don't end up in the same group. I don't really get why 4 of those teams would be relegated, seems a tad harsh on the back of a few games.

No, if they finish bottom of their group they will fall to League B.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X