No announcement yet.

UEFA Nations League

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well now. Group A1 looks fun. And no hiding place for England either.

Comment

Netherlands relegated (how were they even still in this tier?); Italy in danger if they do not improve.

But a lot of countries will start with new bosses, which makes this even more of a lottery.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
        Netherlands relegated (how were they even still in this tier?); Italy in danger if they do not improve.

But a lot of countries will start with new bosses, which makes this even more of a lottery.
        So, just to clarify, do the Netherlands, if they end up bottom of their group, then get relegated to League B, and if England/Italy were to finish bottom they would be in League A, Pot 3? Or is there more too it?

Comment

So we get to watch O'Neill guide Ireland into a struggle against Wales and a pummelling by Denmark. Again.

I really couldn't be arsed.

Comment

Originally posted by Anorak Smith View Post
            So, just to clarify, do the Netherlands, if they end up bottom of their group, then get relegated to League B, and if England/Italy were to finish bottom they would be in League A, Pot 3? Or is there more too it?
            If England and Italy finish bottom of their groups, they are also relegated. (All four group losers are relegated, all four group winners are promoted.)

Comment

Originally posted by antoine polus View Post
              So we get to watch O'Neill guide Ireland into a struggle against Wales and a pummelling by Denmark. Again.

But we all enjoyed it so much the last time!

Comment

Except the broken legs bit, I should add.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                  If England and Italy finish bottom of their groups, they are also relegated. (All four group losers are relegated, all four group winners are promoted.)
                  Thanks, I'm now wondering why it's four groups of three and not three groups. Relegating/promoting a third of the teams from each league seems like a hefty turn around.

Comment

A throat-cutter involving Israelis and Albanians? It just got a lot easier for the SFA to find our next manager:

Comment

He'd be happy to commute, too

Comment

"You can let Leigh see the SFA doctor or you can drop him for the Scottish Cup final. But if you continue to pretend he has a 'slight knock' which will rule him out of the Irn Bru Nations League relegation play-off, I will find you ..."

Comment

Originally posted by antoine polus View Post

Same here - the slanging matches have been most unseemly.

Comment

Originally posted by Anorak Smith View Post
                            Thanks, I'm now wondering why it's four groups of three and not three groups. Relegating/promoting a third of the teams from each league seems like a hefty turn around.
                            It also fucks up TV interest. Italy and England in Tier B is not going to sell many cable subscriptions, and he four promoted teams (whatever their merits) will attract lower audiences. You'd think they'd just relegate the weakest of the 12, which I assume will be Netherlands.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Anderson View Post
                              "You can let Leigh see the SFA doctor or you can drop him for the Scottish Cup final. But if you continue to pretend he has a 'slight knock' which will rule him out of the Irn Bru Nations League relegation play-off, I will find you ..."
                              Serious point: there will be a lot more club v country commotion now. No easy game v Andorra for the star players to rest, so they are now more likely to return to clubs crocked and knackered.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                                Same here - the slanging matches have been most unseemly.
                                I know. I thought that the Welsh fans would have built up ample experience over the years to be gracious in defeat...

Comment

Yeah, but reaching the semi-final stage of a major tournament changes your perspective a little...I mean, I realise there's no way you could possibly know that.
                                  Last edited by Ray de Galles; 24-01-2018, 13:07.

Comment

I know I was angry at the time but that's what happens in the heat of the moment. I'd made my peace with it by the next morning - it wasn't like Joe Jordan's handball or a juiced-up Russian denying us a place. We didn't create any chances, Ireland had a couple and took one.

Comment

Who was the juiced up Russian?

Comment

One of the russians was caught with something in his pee after the first leg of the playoff for Euro 2004

Comment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yegor_Titov is the guy. Seemingly an early adopter of Russian sport's "drugs for everyone" programme.

Comment

Makes you wonder if he was the only one at it.

Comment

I still don't get it, what does a team have to do to qualify?

Comment

OK, so there will still be an EC2020 qualifying tournament run along the usual lines in 2019. It'll be drawn from pots into ten groups, and the 20 winners and runners-up qualify directly to EC2020. So 20 out of the 24 places at EC2020 are nothing to do with the Nations League.

But there will be four places left for playoffs. And here's where the fun starts...
                                                Last edited by Kevin S; 24-01-2018, 16:30.

Comment

For the Euros?

The short BBC clip that Harry posted above is the clearest one I’ve seen

Comment

... what they then do is arrange playoffs, but not in the usual 'qualification group third-placed teams' kind of way. They go back to the Nations League to determine the teams who will be in the playoffs.

So you have four playoff brackets, played as semi finals and a final, for each of the four remaining places. Needs 16 teams to be involved.

The theory goes that you set it up as the four group winners within each league against each other, so you have four League A winners playing off, four League B winners playing off, four League C winners playing off and four League D winners playing off.

However, you of course have to exclude teams who have made it as one of the 20 already-qualified teams. Which will account for all or nearly all of League A as well as some teams from the other Leagues.

So teams who didn't win their group can be shunted up these playoff brackets to be given a shot at qualification. And we are guaranteed at least one League D team will qualify via this route.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X