• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

England chasing shadows.

Comment

Where was the VAR, eh?

Comment

Foul on the defender rather than the keeper?

Comment

Mrs Thistle has just said "Ah, Kaspar. The friendly Schmeichel."

This has amused me.

Comment

Oh yeah, give Eriksson space to turn and shoot in the box.

Lovely strike, though.

Comment

Poor penalty to give away. He did move his hand toward the ball though.

Comment

I was at a wedding that nearly killed me, and I only saw the goal that Ireland scored, so I assume we won 1-0 again. Surely our game against Denmark will be a roaring success, as they struggle to put their row behind them

Comment

Overall a sloppy performance and reality check for us tonight. Not too much between the teams until the goal but then we let Eriksen wander in to the box unopposed and gave him time to pick a shot and never recovered.

Bale and Ramsey had games where they tried to do everything and go everywhere but with diminishing returns as the game wore on. Gunter and Roberts paired on the right didn’t work out and I was worried beforehand that Ampadu’s holding role would mean Eriksen was his responsibility and he, understandably, wasn’t ready for that challenge yet. Allen probably had his poorest game for years in the other central midfield role which didn’t help.

I think the biggest problem overall though was decision-making, the better simpler option in both defence and attack was too often ignored in favour of a dogmatic desire to overplay which smacked of believing the hype from Thursday too much. Giggs may be risking Vokes being his next forward to retire when he’s left on the bench for 90+ minutes and we didn’t hold the ball up at all or fashion a real shot on target.

The main positives were the performances of Mepham (which was assured despite the odd wayward first touch) and Brooks whose willingness to run at the Danish defence was a highlight of the half hour he was on the pitch.
                  Last edited by Ray de Galles; 10-09-2018, 12:37.

Comment

Well... we well and truly Walesed that up, didn't we?

Comment

Macedonia and Georgia win again tonight, so both look strong contenders for the D qualifier berth, although Luxembourg and Faroes would be expected to maintain their 100% records tomorrow.

Comment

Are any attendance stats available for these games? Cyprus v Slovenia (Tier C) had a decent second half (shown on ESPN News in the US) but the crowd was so low that it felt like an empty stadium. The Ukraine game also looked to have banks of empty seats.

Slovenia looked very poor indeed and perhaps are the first country that might welcome relegation because they look like a bottom tier side. Not saying they are losing unintentionally; although today's winner was an o.g., the culprit looked absolutely devastated. Macedonia taking Slovenia's place in Tier C looks like a strong bet. OTOH I would not have expected Cyprus to be a Tier C side based on their history; they are clearly on the rise.
                        Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 09-09-2018, 22:16.

Comment

I was going to ask the same question. I wonder how these attendances are comparing to the friendlies they replaced. Slovenia looked bad, but they were also missing some players and had a 4th choice keeper.

Comment

17,000 for NI- Bosnia but only 12,000 expected for the Israel friendly.

Comment

Probably too early to tell. First week has a novelty factor.

Comment

81,392 for England v Spain
                                Over 25,000 for Wales v Ireland

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                  Are any attendance stats available for these games? Cyprus v Slovenia (Tier C) had a decent second half (shown on ESPN News in the US) but the crowd was so low that it felt like an empty stadium. The Ukraine game also looked to have banks of empty seats.
                                  The Ukraine vs Slovakia game was played behind closed doors. There was a fanzone right outside the ground showing the game on a big screen, but that looked sparsely attended. It was an appalling game as well.

Comment

A relatively decent crowd inside Estádio da Luz for a disappointingly Ronaldoless Portugal hosting Italy, which is about to kick off.

It’s seemingly the most attractive of all tonight’s games, which are all on Sky Sports Main Event via the red button.
                                    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 10-09-2018, 18:48.

Comment

Serbia have just scored the scrappiest goal I have seen for many a year

Comment

Goal for Big Dave in Pristina (or wherever Kosovo play their home matches)

Comment

Fucking hell scotland are 2-0 up. Still reckon watching Sleepless in seattle is less of a waste of my time but.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                            Fucking hell scotland are 2-0 up. Still reckon watching Sleepless in seattle is less of a waste of my time but.
                                            But who is Billy Bowie? I'd buy whatever he's selling

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                              Goal for Big Dave in Pristina (or wherever Kosovo play their home matches)
                                              https://twitter.com/kosovanfooty/status/1039246066191925248

Happy days.

Comment

Their first competitive victory, I believe.

Comment

Seem to be getting Sky sports mix channel just now, so I saw the goals roundup and loved Turkey’s amazing comeback to win in Sweden.
                                                  Bit of poetic justice, the day after increased vote for racists? Payback for lying down to England, too!

Comment

Oh and Aleksandr ‘not good enough for Newcastle’ Mitrovic bags another two

Comment

Working...
                                                    X