Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

eSegurança contra Jogador Segurança - Primeira Liga 2017/18

***Now the Portuguese football thread***

For about a decade now, I have been using variations on football players names for my work Windows passwords every time I'm asked to change it by the administrator. I then add a couple of numbers, capital letters and a non-numeric character to keep it reasonably hacker-proof. In terms of never forgetting my password, it's a winning approach. But sadly, for any player I choose, it's an absolute curse.

It all began back in 2007, with Benfica's mental midfielder Gilles Binya. Benfica were dire in 2007, Fernando Santos had been sacked and a half-arsed Jose Antonio Camacho had replaced him. The team couldn't give a toss, but in came this unknown Cameroonian midfielder called Binya who played like a man possessed, running around the pitch and kicked anything that moved. So good was Binya, that he became my first football player password, but within a couple of weeks, he horror tackled Scott Brown at Celtic Park and was never to be heard of again.

Next up was Toto Salvio, on loan from Atletico Madrid. He was brilliant, the ball would stick to his feet and he single handedly took Benfica to the semi-finals of the Europa League. Not only that, but the zeros and i's made his name a password dream, so I adopted it, only for Salvio to break his arm and basically be injured constantly every since.

The password curse extended to managers as well, Quique Flores was doomed from the start when I decided to adopt his numerical friendly name as my work password. The curse was so consistent I decided to adopt it to the opposition, giving Porto's Joao Moutinho a chance. Literally a couple of week's later I watched him destroy Benfica in a Portuguese Cup semi-final second round game.

Which brings me to the present day. I started a new job 3 weeks ago and foolishly chose a current favourite non-league player as my password. The weekend after I chose him, the poor guy broke his collar bone in a game and is out for the rest of the season.

I need to switch my game to right-wing politicians.
    Last edited by steveeeeeeeee; 24-09-2017, 07:06.

Dav1d D@v!s, rifle cleaning accident.

Comment

Gilles Binya? Saw him play for Gaziantepspor and he was a liability because he wasn't that good. Didn't realise he was a bit of a nutter.

Comment

Awful player, but had passion and was a complete psycho. He's still fondly remember by most Benfiquistas. His short moment in the spotlight was during a particularly dismal spell on the pitch for the club.

Comment

Originally posted by steveeeeeeeee View Post
          For about a decade now, I have been using variations on football players names for my work Windows passwords every time I'm asked to change it by the administrator. I then add a couple of numbers, capital letters and a non-numeric character to keep it reasonably hacker-proof.
          Waste of time. (correcthorsebatterystaple)

Anyway, I used to do the same but with hockey players as you get the capital letter(s) and the numbers. I used to use Bruins players, but they kept getting traded.

Comment

I set up an Argentine bank account recently, and set up my internet banking for it yesterday. All the alphanumeric requirements and so on mean I can't remember it already (I wrote it down - yes, I know), and I think I'll have to change it every 90 days. Whereas my UK bank just ask me to input three random digits from a security number and a security word (which can just be a word). Or to use my card reader, but to be fair that's not an option that's open to Argentine banks (well, I suppose it is, in that the Argentine banking system could probably introduce card readers if they felt like it).

Anyway, how's Salvio doing when fit now, steveeeeeeeee? He's in the next Argentina squad, y'see, and they really need someone who makes his sort of runs from the midfield into the forward line ...

Comment

He went off injured against Boavista at the weekend.

He's always got some knock or other. No faking, he genuinely will have an arm or leg in plaster for half a season.

Overall, he was amazing in his first spell at Benfica, but has been slightly better than average in his second spell. Injuries and fitness just stopped his progress. He's not international standard, surprised he's anywhere near the Argentina squad.

Comment

I have a Hotmail account that had the password "bigron" for about 10 years.

Comment

He went off injured against Boavista at the weekend.

He's always got some knock or other. No faking, he genuinely will have an arm or leg in plaster for half a season.

Overall, he was amazing in his first spell at Benfica, but has been slightly better than average in his second spell. Injuries and fitness just stopped his progress. He's not international standard, surprised he's anywhere near the Argentina squad.
                  I didn't really realise myself until a couple of weeks ago when I tried to pull names out who could do that sort of creative, bursting-forwards-from-midfield role which they need at the moment in order to help Messi play further up the pitch, but they don't really have any. Perhaps Lamela or at a push (or in a couple of years) Lanzini, but they're currently out due to injury, and I suspect that's got a lot to do with why he's there, to be honest.

It's such a shame because when he first arrived in Europe he was capable of being quite brilliant.

Comment

Awful player, but had passion and was a complete psycho. He's still fondly remember by most Benfiquistas. His short moment in the spotlight was during a particularly dismal spell on the pitch for the club.
                    He's now a free agent having left Elazığspor in the Turkish Second Division officially at the end of last season though he hadn't played for them in the second half of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                      when he first arrived in Europe he was capable of being quite brilliant.
                      Yeah, he was unlike any player I've ever seen. He literally ran at (rather than past) left backs with the ball at his feet and somehow the ball always remained at his feet when he'd barged past them. The left back would always get a foot on the ball, but inevitably it would ricochet back to Salvio. Technically, he looks a complete mess when he plays, but defenders didn't know how to deal with him. I think his kamikaze style of play put the brakes on his progress; all those tangles with left-backs left him with broken everythings. Bless him though, he still plays with a plaster around his left arm today!

He'll be at Benfica for the rest of his time in Europe, I reckon. He's still loved because the only reason he's not progressed is that he gave his all on the pitch and has the scars to prove it. If he gets a cap for Argentina, perhaps we can flog him to West Ham or someone and get a bit back on the 13m euros we paid. He could have made a world class right back, in my opinion. However, the fitness to play in that position has gone now and I doubt it will ever return.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                        He's now a free agent having left Elazığspor in the Turkish Second Division officially at the end of last season though he hadn't played for them in the second half of the season.
                        I'm amazed his career last this long!

Comment

Toto!

Comment

Is this the Portuguese Liga 2017-18 thread? I've seen the new Freesports channel has been showing the odd match.

Comment

Good idea, I'll translate the title into Portuguese.

Comment

Hmm, can't work out how to do that.

Yeah, Freesports is bloody great!

Comment

I've tried changing titles too but it doesn't seem to work.

Last night they were randomly showing a match from a few weeks ago when Almeida bent one in from the corner of the box. Outrageous. The commentator was adamant it was a fluke but you could see him look up and spot the opportunity before he struck it.

Comment

Good idea, I'll translate the title into Portuguese.
                                    Send me the text and I'll do it.

Comment

Here's that goal, then.

Comment

Sporting vs Porto is live on Freesports on Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                                          Here's that goal, then.
                                          Blimey. Wish there was a reverse angle closeup, so we could see him giving it the eyes, and remove all doubt. It certainly looks like a clean hit though.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                            Sporting vs Porto is live on Freesports on Sunday.
                                            Kicking off now, should be good.

Comment

Bollocks, sra stev9e has jus come in the living room and turned over to Strictly.

Comment

Quite the finish to the Classico yesterday, then. Benfica must be kicking themselves this morning.
                                                Last edited by Kevin S; 16-04-2018, 09:45.

Comment

The 0-0 draw in last night's Lisbon Derby has made Porto champions again

Comment

Working...
                                                  X