Pools panel: National League 2017-18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pools panel: National League 2017-18

Ten games in, and there doesn't appear to be a Conference thread yet? So here it is. It's all new to me, this, so don't expect expert squad dissections at this point. Initial impressions are that, though the table looks tight, there's a clear gap between the tough, cohesive, well-organised sides and the less well-resourced ones at the bottom, such as Solihull and Guiseley. From the O's point of view, we're nowhere near there yet, as our four defeats so far have emphatically demonstrated. We can put away the poor sides but our necessarily hastily-assembled team lacks pace, flexibility and a plan B as yet. Halifax last night impressed, as did Boreham Wood and an unattractive but well drilled Sutton.

Throw your wiser thoughts in here.

Not much wisdom, just to say that I still automatically look at the National League results to see how Lincoln got on. And that it still doesn't seem right to me that Stevenage v Crawley last night was in Football League D4, while Orient v Halifax was one league below. I think we should get all these old league sides safely back into the 92 and then re-introduce re-election.

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
      I think we should get all these old league sides safely back into the 92...

I admit this is for entirely selfish reasons.

Comment

This thread's a bit bare isn't it? Anyway...

Gateshead possibly in a spot of bother by the sounds of things. York have already nabbed a couple of their players this week, so the exodous Watson seems to be keen to avoid appears to already be under way.

Comment

Thoughts of a merger with Gateshead and playing at the International Stadium, or a new ground on South Tyneside, would bemuse supporters of both clubs, particularly Shields.
          Christ alive, it's a good thing my dad isn't around to be reading this. Financially doped or not, losing another South Shields to Gateshead would probably have killed him.

Gateshead really do need to get out of that shitty athletics stadium, like.

Comment

I don't even know what Gateshead is any more.

Poor effort on this thread from the National League team supporters this season. Jesus in a hardware store accident, what am I doing here anyway? I should be in the 'On our way to the Champions League via the League 2 Playoffs' forum.

Comment

I've poured most of my inexpert thoughts on Weekend Matchgoing type threads through the season, rather than on here as I get to grips with what's hot, what's not and who to love and hate at this level.

Anyway, I fancy Boreham Wood tomorrow: from what I've seen they've got the organisation and strength (the two most important attributes in the National League) to pull this off and become the smallest ever Football League club. How are they managing it? They're probably the best team I've seen this season, along with Aldershot.

Comment

Originally posted by Jobi1 View Post
                This thread's a bit bare isn't it? Anyway...
                As I think I said last season, I don’t think persisting with this “National League” nonsense is helping you. It’s the bloody Conference and on the rare occasions I’ve gone looking for a thread on it that’s what I’ve looked for.

Comment

Tranmere's motion, along with Boreham Wood's amendment, due to be debated at 3

Comment

Keep going, people, we'll soon be in double figures.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                      As I think I said last season, I don’t think persisting with this “National League” nonsense is helping you. It’s the bloody Conference and on the rare occasions I’ve gone looking for a thread on it that’s what I’ve looked for.
                      In my defence I chose neither the name of the league nor the thread. Still getting my head round the notion that my team is in a regional division of this so-called National league.

Comment

Working...
                      X