Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why not?

Comment

I don't agree with B/U23/U21 teams in a senior competition, so the sooner we're out the better.

Comment

Yeah I'm sad that we won last night.

Comment

Regardless of how rubbish the competition is now, always nice to see City score 4 away from home, with fringe players Elbouzedi and Howarth getting goals.

Comment

Originally posted by RobW View Post
            Regardless of how rubbish the competition is now, always nice to see City score 4 away from home, with fringe players Elbouzedi and Howarth getting goals.
            No, I think you'll find that actually makes Lincoln morally inferior to Shrewsbury.

Comment

What with proper teams left now, I paid my ?10 to watch Hull v Lincoln. Good game, which bodes well for next Tuesday's league match, though I hope it doesn't it rain before then. Quagmire of a pitch. Imps taking early lead through Harry Anderson, before Hull dominated possession without troubling Palmer too much. Thought Lincoln were better second half too, but then allowed a Hull player to waltz through the midfield and defence to equalise. Despite the many tired legs and minds, the Imps looked better side for last 20 minutes but couldn't break through and the game went to pens. Given that we missed two at the weekend, I wasn't hopeful, and indeed the standard from both sides was pretty shocking. Harry Anderson channelling Chris Waddle by hoofing the ball well over. Alex Palmer the hero again between the sticks. XL Papa John's all round!

Comment

I was utterly chill throughout those penalties. I was just relieved they didn't have to play extra-time on that 70s-throwback pitch, what with the next game being on Friday. Good game, though, despite the conditions and it being The Trophy it's Hard to Give a Fuck About.

Comment

I was really hoping whoever won the toss before the pens chose to take them down at the seemingly far swampier left-hand end just for a laugh. After the first five rubbish pens (including that comedy one that must have nearly gone over the seating deck) the rest were disappointingly good given the conditions!

Comment

Somehow we ended the Peterborough cup curse with a mainly second string XI who by all accounts, played really well.

I've not seen it anywhere official but apparently the semis are in two weeks and the final on March 16th? Are they still planning to play last year's final? Much as I despise the inclusion of the B teams, the 50k for winning last night is quite valuable right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Baptiste View Post
                      Somehow we ended the Peterborough cup curse with a mainly second string XI who by all accounts, played really well.

I've not seen it anywhere official but apparently the semis are in two weeks and the final on March 16th? Are they still planning to play last year's final? Much as I despise the inclusion of the B teams, the 50k for winning last night is quite valuable right now.
                      Has last season final Portsmouth Salford even be played yet? And if not which final gets priority-2020 or 2021?

Comment

Originally posted by ale View Post

Has last season final Portsmouth Salford even be played yet? And if not which final gets priority-2020 or 2021?
                        Play them as a double header, with the 2020 final first. Either Portsmouth or Salford could celebrate their win then almost immediately hand the trophy back.

Comment

Yep, they will get 24 hours with the trophy: https://www.efl.com/news/2021/februa...trophy-finals/

Comment

Originally posted by Southport Zeb View Post

Play them as a double header, with the 2020 final first. Either Portsmouth or Salford could celebrate their win then almost immediately hand the trophy back.
                            You say that in jest, but....

The EFL has today confirmed that a unique action-packed ‘Wembley Weekender’ of football will take place in March for the 2020 and 2021 Papa John’s Trophy Finals.

In an EFL Trophy first, the two finals will be played in succession over the weekend of 13-14 March 2021, with last year’s postponed match between Portsmouth and Salford City taking place first on Saturday 13 March followed by the 2021 Final on Sunday 14 March. Both matches will be staged at Wembley Stadium, kicking-off at 3pm - with the action broadcast live on Sky Sports.
                            https://www.efl.com/news/2021/februa...-trophy-finals

(Edit; Bah, cross post)

Comment

Presumably Papa John's will be coming out with a special 2 for 1 offer to celebrate the occasion.

Comment

Very enjoyable evening watching us reach Wembley yet again.

Brilliant first half, rode our luck second half but one of those days for the Oxford #9. His penalty is still rising. Nice to be able to bring Vaughan, Clarke and Spearing on to see the job through.

A shame they couldn’t have delayed the final a few weeks in the hope they could at least let season ticket holders but that probably doesn’t work for Sunderland if they win tomorrow!

Comment

Did you make a league cup final?

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                    Did you make a league cup final?
                                    Yes, the last one at the old Wembley in 2000

Comment

Didn't realise the game tonight was live on Sky Sports. I fear we may get another hammering from Sunderland, but our away form has been lot better than home, so who knows? Think we are without Poole and Rogers, so Eyoma presumably will be charged with stopping McGeady supplying crosses for Wyke. Assume Scully will come in for Rogers, though Harry Anderson seems to be reserved for this competition. Better spend ?10 on my Now TV pass and hope my wifi doesn't fuck about.

Comment

Eyoma is back in, as is Edun left back. Max Sanders make his debut, taking the role Bridcutt would usually have in defensive midfield I guess. Anderson not even on the bench, which again is only five players. Is Theo Archibald injured? He's barely featured at all this season. Howarth the only attacking option on the bench. Be nice to know if and when Callum Morton is available again.

Comment

Looks like Grant is playing that deeper midfield role. Decent chance for Montsma from a corner. City playing some nice stuff down the right wing.

Comment

Needless to say McGeady looks like the biggest threat. He's had the one effort on goal that Palmer got down well to parry away. After a promising 15-20 minutes of possession with little to show for it, City have struggled to retain the ball. Bit slow in the final third for me and indecisive.

Comment

Well it goes to penalties again. City grabbed the opener after a good move involving Grant and Bramall before McGrandles shot was parried out to Scully. Despite 3 previous warnings, Sunderland equalised with McGeady crossing for Wyke to head home well.

Comment

Will be delighted if Sunderland win this cup for next 10 years or more

Comment

And Sunderland win 5-3 after some bloody awful penalties. Power, McGeady, Leadbitter and Johnson with the decent ones. Howarth hit the bar and City can concentrate on winning the league instead, he said hopefully.

Comment

Radio Lincs. commentary implied right after at least three Sunderland penalties that Palmer had saved them, only to lapse into a few seconds of growling and groaning, after which it turned out the penalty had been scored after all. And they wonder why radio's dying on its arse.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X