No announcement yet.

The B Teams Boycott EFL Trophy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If Newport make it to the final then there will be an inquiry at Newport Towers (made-up place). We lost our two home matches 0-2 and 4-5 and were on the brink of safely swerving the knockout stage before finally coming a cropper away at Cheltenham (won 7-4). After the game manager Mike Flynn's expression was described as resembling that of a boiled adder.

Are Shrewsbury looking to win their games?

But yes, having said all that, you're on.

Comment

Despite shellacking rubbishy (ha!) Rotherham, Lincoln are out, and no one seems at all bothered. Our crowd of just under 2000 seems pretty impressive compared with the others quoted. This competition clearly needs a quick and logical re-think - out with the U23s, obviously, and then a straight knock-out formula.

Who was the first twat to introduce leagues into cup competitions anyway? Was it the Texaco Cup or the Scottish League Cup? Or does it go back further?

Comment

Just 717 saw Southend 3-1 Wimbledon last night. Not even the £5 advance admission fee (£8 on the gate) could tempt me to leave The Apprentice and the comforts of my own home to watch Southend at Roots Hall in in this moribund Trophy. As said on the previous page, this tournament needs a serious rethink and no I repeat NO U23 / u21 / reserve teams taking part.

Comment

Apparently that result at Roots Hall means Orient are through. I hadn't been keeping up.

Comment

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post
            Apparently that result at Roots Hall means Orient are through. I hadn't been keeping up.
            Congratulations! You mean that you slept through the spontaneous street party on Leyton High Road last night?

Comment

At the risk of sparking more interest in this competition than it deserves (ie some), has any club fielded both its first team and its U21/3s in this competition yet since U21/3s were admitted? Sunderland and Ipswich are the obvious candidates. If not it could be my lot next year. I could look it up but can't be bothered.

Comment

I think Blackburn might have done it. Sure their U23s/U21s played in the first incarnation in 16/17 before they themselves played in their League 1 season of 17/18.

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post

Who was the first twat to introduce leagues into cup competitions anyway? Was it the Texaco Cup or the Scottish League Cup? Or does it go back further?
                  The World Cup must be one of the first

Comment

The Division 3 (South and North) Cups included a league format in 1945-46, though competitions held immediately after WW2 don't really count.

(that's way too Guardian Knowledge, sorry).

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post
                      I think Blackburn might have done it. Sure their U23s/U21s played in the first incarnation in 16/17 before they themselves played in their League 1 season of 17/18.
                      Cheers. At the risk of going all Alex Anderson, I wonder how many (if any) players played for both.

Comment

The 1950 World Cup concluded with a league.

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
                          Cheers. At the risk of going all Alex Anderson, I wonder how many (if any) players played for both.
                          Scunthorpe beat Sunderland 3-0 on Tuesday to progress from the group at their expense, whereas two and a bit years ago they beat their academy (and Jack Rodwell) 3-1 on the way to topping their group (ah... glory days).

Sunderland's left back Denver Hume is the only one to play in both games. Lynden Gooch played v Scunny and in last year's final with Hume, I expect a couple of others played in the other games on the way to the final but I'm not bored enough to research further.

Tuesday substitute Kevin van Veen is the only home player to make both games (despite a spell at Northampton inbetween), along with unused subs Watson and Butroid, who started the first game.

Comment

From what I can see, Jack Doyle, Willem Tomlinson and Ryan Nyambe all made appearances in both seasons for Blackburn. David Raya played in all 3 games for the U23s in 16/17, and was then on the bench for all three games in 17/18.

Comment

At the risk of sparking more interest in this competition than it deserves (ie some), has any club fielded both its first team and its U21/3s in this competition yet since U21/3s were admitted? Sunderland and Ipswich are the obvious candidates. If not it could be my lot next year. I could look it up but can't be bothered.
                              Not Ipswich, they have never entered their U23s.

Incidentally, their "first team" fixture at Colchester on Tuesday saw them bring on two 16-year-old substitutes, one of whom was completely unknown even to many seasoned watchers of the youth teams, as he'd never even been involved at U18 level previously.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                                Butroid, .
                                Sounds like a sex robot from Futurama

Comment

Down to the last 16, with the draw tonight. Only two B teams left to eradicate (Man City and Leicester City) and they're both in the northern section.

Comment

In their four games so far, Ipswich have given debuts to eight academy players, only two of whom have gone on to make a further appearance in another competition, but still they haven't managed to get knocked out.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                                      Down to the last 16, with the draw tonight. Only two B teams left to eradicate (Man City and Leicester City) and they're both in the northern section.
                                      Yeah sorry about that. Salop took Man City to penalties.

Comment

Oh don't worry about it. There was a pretty good cull of them in this round, with five going out and only two going through.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                                          I think both clubs should focus on this, and ignore petty concerns like the Premier League.
                                          Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 05-12-2019, 15:29.

Comment

A whole team of cunts in Scunthorpe.

Comment

Exeter have finally joined the boycott. Crazy semi at Pompey, scoring only starts at 79 minutes, finishes 3-2.

Dark mutterings about a fix, with the Wembley crowd now at least 10,000 more than we would have had.

Comment

Unless I’ve missed it, which wouldn’t surprise me given how little I care about this competition, it appears Newport are playing Salford for a place in the final. I thought that the tournament was regionalised, so it strikes me as strange that Newport are playing Salford.

Comment

Are there any league clubs who haven't played at Wembley?

Comment

Is there an FA Trophy thread anywhere?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X