Clear All

Torres are obviously parts of a castle, so they could work

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Anderson View Post

I would seriously doubt it.
      Alex good to have you back, I was worried you had left us

Not as in left us but well, you know

Comment

What was the last European final to be played in a partially uncovered stadium? And of those which have been, how often was rain a factor on the day? I have no immediate answers, just putting it out there for research.

Comment

Lots of pitches are uncovered

Comment

Pitches yes but the spectators?

Comment

Basically I need Alex Anderson to tell.us how many times European finalists have been rained on!

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                Basically I need Alex Anderson to tell.us how many times European finalists have been rained on!
                I reckon he'll start with the 1966 Cup Winners Cup final at Hampden.

Comment

What was the last European final to be played in a partially uncovered stadium? And of those which have been, how often was rain a factor on the day? I have no immediate answers, just putting it out there for research.
                  2005 Champions League Final? The ends were uncovered in Istanbul

Before then 1997 final in Munich but I can't remember if it rained or not

Comment

The Nya Ullevi (2004 UEFA Cup) isn't completely covered

Comment

Originally posted by colchestersid View Post

2005 Champions League Final? The ends were uncovered in Istanbul

Before then 1997 final in Munich but I can't remember if it rained or not
                      It was a dry evening !

I remember a lot more about the 1993 final in Munich though !

Comment

Does the weird roof on the Olympic stadium in Athens cover all the seats? If not then the 2007 final would be in with a shout.

Comment

There are lots of stadia with roofs that don't cover all of the seats.

The Meazza (aka San Siro) is a good example. Everytime it rained, the rows closest to the pitch would empty as people walked up and back to stay dry. This tends to be even more the case with the curvae (see the Olimipico in Rome)

Comment

Far too difficult to do a search at present, but have we done EU/CL winners who never got a full international cap?

Comment

Far too difficult to do a search at present, but have we done EU/CL winners who never got a full international cap?
                              You could extend that into the least-capped winning team, and I'd open the bidding with Aston Villa in 1982 (will add the stats in a few minutes).

Comment

Aston Villa (1982)

Rimmer – 1 (and that was only half a game)
                                Swain – 0 (age groups only)
                                McNaught – 0
                                Evans – 4
                                Williams – 0
                                Mortimer – 0 (U23/B only)
                                Cowans – 10
                                Bremner – 1
                                Withe – 11
                                Shaw – 0 (U21 only)
                                Morley – 6
                                Sub Spink – 1

34 caps between them, at an average of less than three per player.

Comment

Interesting. Don't think that will be beaten.

Doing other more tedious stuff at the mo but will happily return to the subject, which could be extended to other European competitions.
                                  Last edited by Sporting; 02-12-2020, 09:13.

Comment

I'd bet a few of those Villa caps were picked up after that final, too - so at the time of the match, they'd have had even less international experience.

Comment

The England ones....

Morley:

1 558 18 November 1981 - England 1 Hungary 0, Wembley Stadium
                                      2 559 23 February 1982 - England 4 Northern Ireland 0, Wembley Stadium
                                      3 560 27 April 1982 - Wales 0 England 1, Ninian Park, Cardiff
                                      4 563 2 June 1982 - Iceland 1 England 1, Laugardalsv?llur, Reykjav?k
                                      5 570 22 September 1982 - Denmark 2 England 2, Idr?tsparken, K?benhavn
                                      6 572 17 November 1982 - Greece 0 England 3, Kaftatzoglio Stadio, Thessalonica

Withe:

12 May 1981 - England 0 Brazil 1, Wembley Stadium, Wembley
                                      2 553 20 May 1981 - England 0 Wales 0, Wembley Stadium, Wembley
                                      3 554 23 May 1981 - England 0 Scotland 1, Wembley Stadium, Wembley
                                      4 557 9 September 1981 - Norway 2 England 1, Ullev?l Stadion, Oslo
                                      5 560 27 April 1982 - Wales 0 England 1, Ninian Park, Cardiff
                                      6 563 2 June 1982 - Iceland 1 England 1, Laugardalsv?llur, Reykjav?k
                                      7 576 27 April 1983 - England 2 Hungary 0, Wembley Stadium, Wembley
                                      8 577 28 May 1983 - Northern Ireland 0 England 0, Windsor Park, Belfast
                                      9 578 1 June 1983 - England 2 Scotland 0, Wembley Stadium, Wembley
                                      10 583 12 October 1983 - Hungary 0 England 3, N?pstadion, Budapest
                                      11 595 14 November 1984 - Turkey 0 England 8, In?n? Stadyumu, ?stanbul

Cowans:

1 574 23 February 1983 - England 2 Wales 1, Wembley Stadium, Wembley
                                      2 576 27 April 1983 - England 2 Hungary 0, Wembley Stadium, Wembley
                                      3 577 28 May 1983 - England 0 Northern Ireland 0, Wembley Stadium, Wembley
                                      4 578 1 June 1983 - England 2 Scotland 0, Wembley Stadium, Wembley
                                      5 579 12 June 1983 - Australia 0 England 0, Sydney Cricket Ground, Sydney
                                      6 580 15 June 1983 - Australia 0 England 1, Lang Park, Milton, Brisbane
                                      7 581 19 June 1983 - Australia 1 England 1, Olympic Park Stadium, Melbourne
                                      8 608 29 January 1986 - Egypt 0 England 4, Nasser Stadium, Cairo
                                      9 610 26 March 1986 - USSR 0 England 1, Dinamo Stadion, Tbilisi
                                      10 667 14 November 1990 - Republic of Ireland 1 England 1, Lansdowne Road, Dublin

Rimmer (subbed at HT after letting in two goals):

1 502 28 May 1976 - England 3 Italy 2, Yankee Stadium, New York City

Spink (also only a "half", but this time a HT sub):

1 581 19 June 1983 - Australia 1 England 1, Olympic Park Stadium, Melbourne

Comment

Withe (then on 6 caps) and Allan Evans (3 caps) were the only Villa players in the 1982 World Cup squads. Withe didn't get a game and Evans was dropped after Scotland's opener v NZ (Miller and Narey replaced Evans and McGrain) and never played again.*

Ipswich would have supplied a lot more caps and had six players at the World Cup - Butcher, Mariner, Mills, Wark, Brazil, Burley. They also had Muhren (23 caps), Thijssen (14), Gates (2) and Osman (11). Their only players in the 1981 UEFA Cup final who never got full caps were Steve McCall and Paul Cooper.

*The two goals Scotland conceded v NZ ultimately put them out of the tournament.
                                        Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 02-12-2020, 12:05.

Comment

McNaught never winning a cap is a big surprise to me. Hard to imagine a Scottish centre half now, playing several years in the English top flight and not getting a look in.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                            Ipswich would have supplied a lot more caps and had six players at the World Cup - Butcher, Mariner, Mills, Wark, Brazil, Burley. They also had Muhren (23 caps), Thijssen (14), Gates (2) and Osman (11). Their only players in the 1981 UEFA Cup final who never got full caps were Steve McCall and Paul Cooper.
                                            Does the game between the Allies and the Nazis not count as a full cap then?

Comment

Jimmy Case was a three time EC winner who didn't have a full international cap.

Comment

John McGovern captained Nottingham to two EC trophies, but never got a cap for Scotland.

Comment

Withe (then on 6 caps) and Allan Evans (3 caps) were the only Villa players in the 1982 World Cup squads. Withe didn't get a game and Evans was dropped after Scotland's opener v NZ (Miller and Narey replaced Evans and McGrain) and never played again.
                                                  Gary Shaw was in the preliminary squad and was expected to make Ron's 22 - I think I am right in saying he was on the official England team ruler that I got in the run-up to the tournament (I think they went to town on the merch front, cashing in after two failures to qualify). I knew Shaw didn't make it but I would have had a punt on Morley being one of the 22 - as the list above shows he was featuring regularly in the run-up (lost out to Graham Rix apparently).

Comment

Withe (then on 6 caps) and Allan Evans (3 caps) were the only Villa players in the 1982 World Cup squads. Withe didn't get a game and Evans was dropped after Scotland's opener v NZ (Miller and Narey replaced Evans and McGrain) and never played again.*

*The two goals Scotland conceded v NZ ultimately put them out of the tournament.
                                                    Regarding Allan Evans, it was not Jock Stein’s finest moment pairing Hansen and Evans v New Zealand, considering the other quality defenders available - especially Willie Miller of Aberdeen. Scotland conceded two goals v NZ which was also the only 2 goals NZ scored in the World Cup and these effectively were the two goals that eliminated Scotland from the group on goal difference.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X