No announcement yet.

European Cup Trivia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And we have a winner! RB Leipzig 2017-18. Runners-up in their first season in top flight. Hoffenheim made their European debut in the CL playoff round the same season

Of the others mentioned Cluj played in the Intertoto and the UEFA Cup (once) before catapulting straight into the CL groups in 2008.

Atalanta and Leicester have loads of Euro experience going back to the 60s, Blackburn played in the UEFA Cup the season before making the CL.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
      On the subject of Atlanta, though, I was wondering how many other clubs in addition to them have competed in the EC/ECL group stages but never in the Fairs/UEFA/Europa competitions for also-rans.
      Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but in addition to the Cup Winners' Cup run, Atalanta participated in two UEFA Cups and two Europa Leagues (and even reached the quarters of the UEFA Cup in the early 90s)

Comment

You're right; my error:

https://www.uefa.com/teamsandplayers...ory/index.html

Comment

Who is the commentator?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcSy1r8owj0

(And why was Nobby Stiles taking some corners?)

Comment

Gerry Loftus, I think. ITV.

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Tonight I'm remembering this ...

Originally posted by Alex Anderson View Post

... clubs whose ground has hosted the final but they themselves have never won the European Champion Clubs' Cup/UEFA Champions League:

Racing Club de Paris (1956, Real Madrid v Stade de Reims)
                VfB Stuttgart (1959 and 1988)
                Queen's Park (1960, 76 & 2002)
                Young Boys Berne (1961, Benfica v Barca)
                Paris Saint-Germain (1975 and 81)
                AS Roma (1977, 1984, 1996, 2009)
                SS Lazio (1977, 1984, 1996, 2009)
                Sevilla (1986, Steaua v Barca)
                Bari (1991, Red Star Belgrade v Marseille)
                TSV 1860 Munich (1997 and 2012)
                İstanbulspor (2005, Liverpool v Milan)
                Schalke 04 (2004, Porto v Monaco)
                Hertha Berlin (2015, Barca v Juve)

Good luck phrasing that as a question for your mates ... but there are THIRTEEN answers.

I'd just like to thank everyone for their hard work. Couldn't have done it without you ("patently!") ... I'm tearing-up here but - *sniff* - these flowers are for you, ursus ... Antepli Ejderha, please accept these chocolates with our gratitude; and love and peace to everyone who helped us all through this dark time. There's too many to name (ad hoc, denishurley, blameless, VA, Wouter D and Satchmo) ... but, please, everyone - just remember ... we'll always have Racing Club de Paris.

Bit rusty but I think there are FIFTEEN answers now - if you add Dynamo Kiev and Atletico de Madrid. But we could soon be removing one liddle iddy biddy Fwench team who caused us all a lot of hard work a few years back.
                Last edited by Alex Anderson; 20-08-2020, 10:04. Reason: ?And if you remove Roma and Atletico to make it "teams who've hosted but never REACHED the final", you're removing PSG from the list NOW. I'm sure Neymar will be relieved.

Comment

I thought of this thread when I saw today's Champions League fixtures on the BBC site:

Connah's Quay Nomads 19:00 FK Sarajevo
                  Lyon 20:00 Bayern Munich

Lucky draw for Connah's Quay there, could have struggled against Bayern.

I assume this kind of "round mixing" hasn't happened before, although I know some ancient European ties did take place the following season.

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                    I thought of this thread when I saw today's Champions League fixtures on the BBC site:

Connah's Quay Nomads 19:00 FK Sarajevo
                    Lyon 20:00 Bayern Munich

Lucky draw for Connah's Quay there, could have struggled against Bayern.

I assume this kind of "round mixing" hasn't happened before, although I know some ancient European ties did take place the following season.

I've seen both Connah's Quay and Bayern winning at stadiums which have each hosted three European Cup/Champions League finals.

Comment

If Lyon win tonight, apart from vindicating Rio Ferdinand's citing of Bayern's "criminal" high line - the only thing to take from Friday night's game - it will mean France draw level with Germany in the number of clubs each country has provided in the ECCC/UCL final.

Was 6-4 on Sunday. Could be 6-6 by close of play tonight.

Which, if Lyon exploit that high line, could be ... ye know ... the score on the pitch too, Gary.

Comment

Have France now got the highest number of failures against wins?

Comment

There are three countries who have each had only one losing finalist (Belgium, Greece, Sweden). Of countries that have had multiple finalists, France has by far the worst ratio of winners to losers (1:6). Portugal (4:5), Germany (8:10) and Italy (12:16) are the other nations with losing records.

Comment

Okay, I can think of Reims (twice), St Etienne, OM and now PSG as the losers. Who was the other?

Comment

Monaco

Comment

Ta. Although that could be debatable if you wanted to be particularly pedantic...

Comment

Oui, monsieur

Better to phrase the question in terms of leagues

Comment

Coman is the first player ever to score against a former club in the final, according to Tyledsley on CBS.

Bayern are the first team to ever win 11 games in a row. Previous record 9. First team to have a 100% record. OTOH they didn't have to play away games at Barcelona or Roma.
                                    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 23-08-2020, 22:16.

Comment

The last time Bayern won the final 1-0 - also v a French club - thirteen of the next seventeen finals ended 1-0 or 0-0

One of the four that didn't was Bayern taking a 1-0 lead v Porto in 1987 ... then chucking it in a way they couldn't imagine they'd ever out-do ...

Comment

Can anyone match or beat Lewandowski's feat of winning the trophy 7 years after losing to his current team in the final?

Comment

Last edited by Alex Anderson; 20-06-2022, 18:21. Reason: Really difficult finding a pre-game line up pic for the recent finals. It's all the post-match celebrations. This'll have to suffice for now.

Comment

Bayern go level with Liverpool on six wins. But Bayern have lost another five finals, compared to Liverpool's three runners-up spots. I'll take that as a kinda goal-difference, to put Bayern third on the all-time list behind Milan's seven wins and Real's 13.

Comment

Every time the Estadio da Luz - this one or the previous incarnation - has staged a major international final, as a neutral venue*, it's been won by a guy who does manage, has managed or would manage FC Bayern Muenchen.

1992 CWC - Otto Rehhagel (A German club beating a "Ligue 1 side" that night too)
                                              Euro 2004 - Otto Rehhagel (With a Werder Bremen Bundesliga striker scoring the only goal that night)
                                              2014 UCL - Carlo Ancelotti (who had managed PSG too)
                                              Last night - Flick.
                                              Last edited by Alex Anderson; 24-08-2020, 10:44. Reason: *it hosted Benfica's home leg of the 1983 UEFA Cup final.

Comment

In 1967 Inter lost the ECCC/UCL final in Lisbon while Bayern won the CWC in Germany - this weekend Bayern are winning the ECCC/UCL final in Lisbon while Inter lose the minor final in Germany.

Comment

Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar. Gnabry and Lewandowski. Yeah, very good. But still no-one has scored a hat-trick in the final since Pierino Prati for Milan v Ajax in 1969. He died a couple of months ago. So everyone that's scored a hat-trick in this final is now dead.

To be fair, there were only two others, Puskas and Di Stefano - but they managed one each in the same bloody final. Puskas did it twice - he even got a second half hat-trick in one final and a first-half hat-trick in the other.

I like a good chess match of a final as much as the next wannabe intellectual but - fucking hell - Prati scored his three in the age of catenaccio and while there was a plethora of low-scoring finals in the twenty years after that, it's not as if there's been a lack of goals or high-end goalscorers in finals over the last thirty years. And so many players have scored two in the final ... but we cannot get a hat-trick.

Comment

I don't even know how deep it's buried in this fabulous thread, bu Alphonso Davies adds Canada to the list of countries with 1 and only 1 EC/CL winner

Comment

Working...
                                                    X