No announcement yet.

European Cup Trivia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder which would be the most prominent club (how to define this I've no idea: seasons in their respective first division, I suppose, is as good as any...but other criteria gratefully accepted) to have never played in any form of European competition.

Comment

Boca or River

*runs away*

Comment

Slightly more seriously, one needs to take into account the number of years a particular nation was recognised by UEFA.

For example, there are likely still clubs from Gibraltar with significant domestic pedigrees that haven't yet played in Europe.

Comment

True.

It's an interesting question (well, I asked it, so it's interesting to me at least!). The number of clubs who have played in any kind of European competition must be...no idea...in the thousands? So who hasn't, yet?
          Last edited by Sporting; 18-04-2019, 16:39.

Comment

On the other hand, the only clubs currently in Serie A that have never appeared in European competition are SPAL (a notable club in the pre/early-European era that never won a title, having competed in 16 out of 17 Serie A seasons between 1951 and 1968) and Frosinone (a very recent entrant to the top flight that has had trouble avoiding relegation when there).

Comment

I will put Eibar forward as a kind of benchmark.

Comment

Or maybe there's a Scottish team out there?

Comment

Was just about to mention Eibar.

They are the most distinguished of the current la Liga quartet, which also includes Girona, Huesca and Leganes.

The ten team top flight in Scotland is going to cause issues.

Comment

It would also be interesting to find the highest currently placed (or a previous high performing ) German team never to have qualified for European competition

Comment

If we restrict ourselves to current top flight clubs, Huddersfield Town will take some beating (for another month).

Over 30 seasons in the English top flight; three times champions and a FA Cup. A blank slate in Europe.

All of the current Bundesliga clubs have played in Europe. I think it is important to impose a requirement of some recent top flight experience, as otherwise one will get a large number of "fallen flags" whose best years were well before 1955 (see, e.g., Pro Vercelli and their seven Italian championships before 1923 or RC Roubaix or Standard Athletic Club, each of which won five French championships in the amateur era).
                      Last edited by ursus arctos; 18-04-2019, 17:00.

Comment

Have St Pauli played in European competitions?

Comment

No, but they have fewer than 10 seasons in the top flight.

Comment

I'll start another thread

Comment

With the new future set up of European football it appears it will be possible for a team to play in 4 different UEFA competitions in one season.

Comment

Comment

Alex, Alex - check your PMs!!!

Comment

Thank you Alex.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                                      Alex, Alex - check your PMs!!!
                                      I did, mate. Ursus gave me a nudge on Friday night, told me you were looking for me, and I got your message - and am very grateful for it.

Sorry - I sent you a couple of PM replies, on Saturday, the second of which was seriously lengthy so I assumed you were, understandably, just ignoring me. You deserve better than me ranting at you about my house-moving situation. It's no way to reward a hero. But double-check your PMs - maybe switch off your OTF "boring bastard" filter to let my patter come through - and let me know if you got my replies.

There may be three actually. I can't help myself.

Thanks sir.

Comment

Winning captains in the 60s:

1960: Zarraga (1930-2012)
                                        1961: Aguas (1930-2000)
                                        1962: Aguas (1930-2000)
                                        1963: Maldini (1932-2016)
                                        1964: Picchi (1935-1971)
                                        1965: Picchi (1935-1971)
                                        1966: Gento (1933- )
                                        1967: McNeill (1940-2019)
                                        1968: Charlton (1937- )
                                        1969: Rivera (1943- )

McNeill was the youngest winning captain up to that point (1955-67), and until succeeded by Rivera.
                                        Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 23-04-2019, 20:35.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Anderson View Post

I did, mate. Ursus gave me a nudge on Friday night, told me you were looking for me, and I got your message - and am very grateful for it.

Sorry - I sent you a couple of PM replies, on Saturday, the second of which was seriously lengthy so I assumed you were, understandably, just ignoring me. You deserve better than me ranting at you about my house-moving situation. It's no way to reward a hero. But double-check your PMs - maybe switch off your OTF "boring bastard" filter to let my patter come through - and let me know if you got my replies.

There may be three actually. I can't help myself.

Thanks sir.
                                          Hiya. Just checked again, there's absolutely nothing there. I couldn't even see my first missive to you in the Outbox so Lord knows what's going on! I'll run it past Snakey when he gets back from his jollies.

But from the above I assume that it's a "thanks, but no thanks". Not a problem. I'm usually in a position to get tickets for home games so if Chelsea are to line up against an opponent that you'd love to see, just give me a shout.

House-move in the offing? Best of British with that, mate!

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                            Winning captains in the 60s:

1960: Zarraga (1930-2012)
                                            1961: Aguas (1930-2000)
                                            1962: Aguas (1930-2000)
                                            1963: Maldini (1932-2016)
                                            1964: Picchi (1935-1971)
                                            1965: Picchi (1935-1971)
                                            1966: Gento (1933- )
                                            1967: McNeill (1940-2019)
                                            1968: Charlton (1937- )
                                            1969: Rivera (1943- )

McNeill was the youngest winning captain up to that point (1955-67), and until succeeded by Rivera.

I've never heard Armando Picchi. Dead at 36 - poor sod.

Comment

Wouldn't 1960 be missed out, and 1970 added?

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

Hiya. Just checked again, there's absolutely nothing there. I couldn't even see my first missive to you in the Outbox so Lord knows what's going on! I'll run it past Snakey when he gets back from his jollies.

But from the above I assume that it's a "thanks, but no thanks". Not a problem. I'm usually in a position to get tickets for home games so if Chelsea are to line up against an opponent that you'd love to see, just give me a shout.

House-move in the offing? Best of British with that, mate!
                                                Yeah, I don't know what happened there, NS. As someone who thought the forum had dropped the punctuation from all his posts on Sunday night (thanks, Ursus) I'm not the most reliable on navigating OTF but I did just find your original PM and my replies and have sent you copies.

Yes, "copies" - plural. Sorry - that's not so much "thanks but no thanks" as "no thanks and here's a kick to the nads for offering". But, believe me - this hurts me so much more.

Second house move in just over a year and a third in the offing and ... no. No, Alex. No spoilers. But thanks for reminding me there is hope - if I get to the end of this tunnel, the light of European finalist-bagging will have guided me there. (that and delaying Bexit)

Let me know if you don't get those messages mate. Or that one message - in three parts.
                                                Last edited by Alex Anderson; 23-04-2019, 21:21. Reason: Anyone want a three-bedroomed terraced house in Glasgow's leafy West End. Well, okay, "West End-adjacent" ...

Comment

Got 'em. I'll digest and get back shortly.

Comment

This year's African Champions League semi-finals feature the last four winners. Has anything close to that ever happened in Europe?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X