• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roberto Carlos?

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
      Roberto Carlos?
      Got it in one.....
      1998 Roberto Carlos (Real, Brazil; L, L)
      2002 Roberto Carlos (Real, Brazil; W, W)

Comment

I was going to say Michael Ballack, but I can't recall if he was still at Leverkusen in 2002 and I'm sure he was suspended for the World Cup Final that year.

On that note - Ronaldo must have played in both in 02.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post
          I was going to say Michael Ballack, but I can't recall if he was still at Leverkusen in 2002 and I'm sure he was suspended for the World Cup Final that year.

On that note - Ronaldo must have played in both in 02.
          Ronaldo was at Inter in 2002, as you say Ballack is one of the nearly men..... suspended for the WC final after playing in the CL final

Comment

Paul Breitner - 1974 and 1982
            Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 20-02-2019, 11:41.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
              Paul Breitner - 1974 and 1982
              Aahhh, you're right- I have Breitner noted twice, but yes, himself and Roberto Carlos have both done it twice
              1974 Breitner (Bayern, West Germany; W, W)
              1982 Breitner (Bayern, West Germany; L, L)

Comment

Originally posted by seand View Post

Ronaldo was at Inter in 2002, as you say Ballack is one of the nearly men..... suspended for the WC final after playing in the CL final
                Damn it.

Did Henry play in the 06 World Cup Final? I'm sure he played in that year's Champions League Final.

Comment

He most certainly did

Comment

2006 Henry (Arsenal, France; L, L) Surprisingly he's the only one from 2006 (Giuly, Pires, Clichy, Flamini not in France squad)

Comment

I'm pretty sure Bobby had retired from the French team by then.

Is 1994 the first final with both teams having a player who played in the Big Cup Final? Romario for Barca, then Donadoni, Massaro and Maldini for Milan (Baresi was suspended for the BCF).

Comment

Originally posted by seand View Post

Aahhh, you're right- I have Breitner noted twice, but yes, himself and Roberto Carlos have both done it twice
                        1974 Breitner (Bayern, West Germany; W, W)
                        Breitner must have wondered what happened in 1982. Lost a European Cup final as overwhelming favourites and then a World Cup Final again as overwhelming favourites (in the bookmakers' odds sense, not the popularity vote).

Comment

I think some of the answers may be in the previous 128 pages, but can we search threads now? It didn't work for me.

A player from 1958 is who I wanted.

Comment

Nils Liedholm skippered both Milan and Sweden to defeat in 1958.

Comment

Originally posted by Flynnie View Post

Is 1994 the first final with both teams having a player who played in the Big Cup Final? Romario for Barca, then Donadoni, Massaro and Maldini for Milan (Baresi was suspended for the BCF).
                              And Costacurta managed to get himself suspended from both iirc.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post

Breitner must have wondered what happened in 1982. Lost a European Cup final as overwhelming favourites and then a World Cup Final again as overwhelming favourites (in the bookmakers' odds sense, not the popularity vote).
                                West Germany were favoured? Why? I guess because Italy were so rubbish in the group, but that team was loaded.

Comment

It was indeed. The first but far from the last

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                                    Nils Liedholm skippered both Milan and Sweden to defeat in 1958.
                                    That's the first one..... What a loser!

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post

I don't recall that. Italy had knocked out tournament favourites Brazil so would have become favourites by virtue of that. West Germany had gone to ET and penalties and had less time to rest.

Comment

Rogin may be thinking of pre-tournament odds, in which Italy were relative outsiders.

Comment

Some interesting odds retrieved via newspapers.com:

On Sunday July 4, 1982, just before the last second round games, the odds with Mecca were: Brazil 4-6, West Germany 9-2, France 9-1, England and USSR 12-1, Italy 14-1, Poland 16-1, N Ireland 66-1, the other second phase teams were already out (Austria, Belgium, Spain, Argentina).

The day before the final, Italy were 8-11 with Ladbrokes.

https://newspaperarchive.com/biddefo...-10-1982-p-50/
                                          Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 21-02-2019, 02:57.

Comment

okay, so I reckon we're maybe halfway there, probably a bit more. Seasons marked * are complete, I reckon

1958* Liedholm (Milan, Sweden; L, L)
                                            1974 Breitner (Bayern, West Germany; W, W) He was hardly the only one, was he?!
                                            1994* Romario (Barcelona, Brazil; L, W)
                                            1994* Maldini, Donadoni, Massaro (Milan, Italy; W, L) Baresi and Costacurta suspended for the CL final, Costacurta also did not play in the WC final, Tassotti and Albertini played EC final but not WC final
                                            2002 Roberto Carlos (Real, Brazil; W, W)
                                            2002 Ballack suspended for WC final, he wasn't the only Bayer interest at the WC final though....
                                            2006* Henry (Arsenal, France; L, L)
                                            2018 Lovren (Liverpool, Croatia; L, L)

Comment

West Germany were favoured? Why? I guess because Italy were so rubbish in the group, but that team was loaded.
                                              Perhaps because they'd somehow survived a defeat to Algeria and a collusion with Austria? (After they then escaped any kind of sanction for Schumacher's antics in the semi final, I thought their name had to be on the trophy...)

Comment

Zidane played in the 1998 CL final. So he's one. Deschamps and Karembeu both played and all.
                                                There'll be some 1994 action and all. Maldini, Albertini, Donadoni, Massaro.

Comment

Oh. There was another page with loads of answers on. Now I look foolish having repeated them.

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
                                                    Zidane played in the 1998 CL final. So he's one. Deschamps and Karembeu both played and all.
                                                    There'll be some 1994 action and all. Maldini, Albertini, Donadoni, Massaro.
                                                    Some neat tidying up on 1998 from EIM, which is now complete...
                                                    1998 Deschamps, Zidane (Juventus, France; W, W)
                                                    1998 Karembeu (Real, France; L, W)

Comment

Working...
                                                    X