European Cup Trivia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seand View Post
    Okay, so we’ve done the World Cup, which begs the question…. Which players have played in the European Cup/Champions League final and the European Championships final in the same year? I reckon it’s 25. Well, 25ish, give or take a few.
    Bueller? ...Bueller?....Anyone?.... Anyone?

I'll leave this one for the weekend then close it out and leave this thread to its sorry Alex-free end
    Last edited by seand; 01-03-2019, 16:18. Reason: crass, hideous grammatical error that wudnae happen on Big Eck's watch....

Comment

If you correct "it's" to "its" I'll have a go.

Just joking...

Comment

I'll have a stab at Pepe, Cristiano Ronaldo, and Griezmann in 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
          If you correct "it's" to "its" I'll have a go.

Just joking...
          no idea what you're talking about..........

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
            I'll have a stab at Pepe, Cristiano Ronaldo, and Griezmann in 2016
            a solid start from midfield rock ad hoc covers off 2016:
            2016 Pepe, Ronaldo (Real, Portugal; W, W)
            2016 Griezmann (Atletico, France; L, L) Lucas Hernandez, Benzema not in France squad for, ahem, various reasons

Comment

2012 is trickier. Torres? I can't think of any others (and don't know if he played for Chelsea at all)

Comment

2004 - Deco and Ricardo Carvalho

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                  2012 is trickier. Torres? I can't think of any others (and don't know if he played for Chelsea at all)
                  Torres is right. It's a funny one, he come on late for Spain and came on late for Chelsea in normal time- but he didn't take any of Chelsea's 5 pens. Juan Mata also appeared late on for Spain having played 120 minutes for Chelsea before missing the first penalty in the shootout.
                  2012 Mata, Torres (Chelsea, Spain; W, W)

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post
                    2004 - Deco and Ricardo Carvalho
                    Yes... and Ferreira, Costinha, Nuno Valente and Maniche!

Comment

Okay so the definitive(ish) list:
                      1964 Amancio Amaro and Ignacio Zoco (Real, Spain; L, W) the only 2 Real players in the 16-man Spain squad
                      1964 Luis Suarez (Inter, Spain; W, W)
                      1976 Maier, Beckenbauer, Schwarzenbeck, Hoeness, (Bayern, West Germany; W, L)
                      1980 Hrubesch, Kaltz (Hamburg, West Germany; L, W) Memering, Magath didn't play in the ENC final
                      1988 Van Breukelen, Van Aerle, Koeman, Vanenburg (PSV, Holland; W, W) Kieft didn't play in the ENC final
                      (2000 Anelka, Karenmbeu did not play in ENC final, Karembeu unsed sub for Real, Angloma retired by then)
                      2004 Ferreira, Costinha, Nuno Valente, Carvalho, Maniche, Deco (Porto, Portugal; W, L) (Akis Zikos of Monaco did not make the Greek squad)
                      2008 Ballack (Chelsea, Germany; L, L)
                      2012 Mata, Torres (Chelsea, Spain; W, W)
                      2016 Pepe, Ronaldo (Real, Portugal; W, W)
                      2016 Griezmann (Atletico, France; L, L) Lucas Hernandez, Benzema not in France squad
                      (None: 1960, 1968, 1972, 1984, 1992, 1996, 2000)

Comment

When was the last time that a second tier club played consecutive home league games against former European Cup Winners?

Comment

Norwich played Forest away on 20th October 18, then Villa at home on 23rd October.

Whoops - missed out home.

Comment

Them too? Must be something about the fixture-list computer this season.

Comment

Saturday / last night.

Comment

Basically it seems like Villa and Forest are just following each other around the country this season...

Comment

Okay so someone mentioned that a certain club are in danger of missing out on European football for the first time in 50 years. So can you give me the 9 clubs who have qualified for Europe in 30+ successive season.

Comment

Barcelona, Bayern, Internazionale, Benfica, Porto

Comment

Anderlecht (I read the Grauniad too).

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                        Barcelona, Bayern, Internazionale, Benfica, Porto
                                        Barcelona 65 or 63 seasons, depending how you count the Fairs Cup, and counting
                                        Benfica 41 in a row 60-1 to 00-1
                                        Porto 46 and counting

Bayern no.... next season will be 27 in a row
                                        Inter no, no, no.... 16 in a row at best

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                          Anderlecht (I read the Grauniad too).
                                          And yes Anderlecht have played European football the last 56 seasons,but look likely to miss out in 2019-20

Comment

Barcelona are the only club never to have missed out, I think.

Comment

How about Celtic?

Comment

Last failed to qualify for Europe in 1994-95 after finishing fourth in the Scottish Premier Division. Also failed to qualify for 1978-79 and 1990-91 (both times fifth in league)

Comment

Well 30 gets us close to 1989 and the breakup of the USSR so I'm going with CSKA

Comment

CSKA last failed to qualify for European competition in 2001-02, after finishing eight in the Russian league in 2000. During the nineties they only qualified every other year on average.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X