Schoolboy internationals - results?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schoolboy internationals - results?

I'm writing a blog post about schoolboy internationals in the 70s, but can't find the results anywhere, not even at rsssf.com. The English FA's 'historical' results go back as far as five years...

Usually I can remember every bloody game I went to in the 70s, but I'm unsure about these for some reason. I think they are:
    1976, England 5 France 0
    1977, England 1 West Germany 1
    1978, England 3 Scotland 0

Anyone know where I can confirm this crucial information?

The Scottish FA has their results here, I assume that the match you recall was the 1980 3-0 England win at Lincoln

Comment

No, these were U15 games at Wembley, part of a day out for school lads across the land that usually included a trip to the Zoo. At one point in the late 90s the U15 programme was disbanded, presumably as it was too young to be putting players into these kinds of game.

Now you've made me annoyed that I was completely unaware of an U18 international at Sincil Bank in 1980. I also realised only around 30 years later that I'd missed Lincoln beating the Tulsa Roughnecks 9-2 in late 1979. Publicity was different back then, right enough.

Comment

Peter Coyne, was it? Schoolboy internationals at Wembley were some of the very few games broadcast live (on ITV, I think).

It turned out to be the peak of his career.

Comment

I decided the results didn't really matter - it was more to satisfy my own statistical nerdiness. The piece is here.

@tee rex - yep, one of the few live games, which somehow made it seem more important than it was. And the piece also remarks upon how few names in the match programmes made it in the professional game. Of the three games I was at, the England players went on to total 13 caps - five for Clive Allen (no goals) and eight for Mark Chamberlain (one goal - v Luxembourg). In Clive Allen's four games when he started, England failed to score once.

Comment

Can't read the thread title in anything other than a Ron Manager voice.

Comment

I was about to suggest consulting a Rothmans, if anyone has them (mine only go up to 1975), then I found this.

Comment

I have a vague memory of England beating Scotland 5-4 on the day my Dad was digging our pond, if that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
                  I was about to suggest consulting a Rothmans, if anyone has them (mine only go up to 1975), then I found this.
                  That would have been the page - cheers. In the meantime, an old school friend on Facebook remembered the first two (England 6 France 1, and England 1 West Germany 2), while I had correctly recollected Scotland's humiliation that was followed by my own long journey back to Lincolnshire in the company of 50 or so gloating school-mates.

Comment

Quick check in the programme for the 1991 England Schoolboys vs West Germany match has all the Wembley results back to 1950.
                    1970 England 2-0 Scotland.
                    1970 England 3-0 W Germany.
                    1971 England 1-0 N Ireland.
                    1971 England 5-1 Netherlands.
                    1972 England 4-0 W Germany.
                    1973 England 3-1 Netherlands.
                    1973 England 2-4 Scotland.
                    1974 England 5-2 France.
                    1974 England 4-0 W Germany.
                    1975 England 4-0 Netherlands.
                    1975 England 0-1 Scotland.
                    1976 England 4-1 Wales.
                    1976 England 6-0 France.
                    1977 England 2-0 Scotland.
                    1977 England 1-2 W Germany.
                    1978 England 3-3 France.
                    1978 England 3-0 Scotland.
                    1979 England 1-1 Wales.
                    1979 England 2-2 W. Germany.

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
                      The internet looked a lot different in the sixties, didn't it?

(I'm shocked to click the home page and find that that site was in fact last updated last week. Tip of the hat to the webmaster for keeping that 1990s Geocities thing going!)

Comment

The rsssf.com results site is even more basic - might have been set up by Al Gore.

Comment

Working...
                        X