Wales v Belgium one year on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wales v Belgium one year on

Just watched the highlights again on Twitter.

Never gets old.

The Kanuversary I saw it described on Facebook. Still quite staggering.

Comment

Have you won a game since?

Comment

You missed our vanquishing of Moldova?

Bizarrely enough I am now in my way to Belgium for a work thing, should have got a t-shirt of HRK's Cruyff turn to troll the locals.

Greatest game I've ever been to.

Comment

Of course, HRK's goal isn't even the best goal of the game

Comment

The only problem now is that it's set a pretty high bar. There's a few odd voices of dissent even though we still have a sniff of qualifying for the World Cup and we're ranked 13th in the world.

These voices must either be infants or bandwagon jumpers because if you've been through four years of Bobby Fucking Gould, this is a beautiful dream... almost as good as that one I had involving Olivia Wilde and a jar of Nutella.

Comment

I know. The FSF/Ticket Office survey suggests 2,000 are planning on travelling to Moldova with slighlty fewer planning a trip to Georgia ... 2,000!! We only took 100 or so to Azerbaijan the first time when we were on the crest of Mark Hughes' Euro 2004 wave FFS!

Comment

I think this qualifying campaign has been disappointing in terms of the Euros but generally it's fun going to see Wales play, which hasn't often been the case.

Comment

It's always been fun going to watch Wales play - it's just that now, the 90 minutes in the middle of the trip isn't too bad either!

Comment

Does WSC still do that "As good as it got" feature?

Comment

I love the fact how non-Welsh fans think we don't realise how unlikely we are to ever repeat last summer ... or even think that to point this out actually riles us.

Truth of the matter is, we had one hell of a summer, and nothing will ever match it nor ever take it away. Whether we get to another tournament or not remains to be seen, but we'll still enjoy our trips to far flung corners of Europe without feeling the need to wave our willys nor pile the expectations upon our team.

Comment

I'm Anglo-Welsh of Irish heritage, I enjoyed the Wales team run just as much as anybody west of Oswestry.

I do wonder though if that is as good as it gets.

Time will tell.

Comment

Sorry if I misjudged the posting Nick ... it's the "slop" thing <insert winky thing>*
                          It has become a thing to bait Wales fans about last summer - especially on social media - as if we weren't already aware of who/what/where we were/are/going/not going!

*It's been a while but do we still do that here?

Comment

I think Wales will qualify for some future tournaments, especially as their seeding will help for a while and the tournaments keep being expanded. They won't have to wait 30 years like Nothern Ireland did after 1986, or 20 years and counting in the case of Scotland.

Comment

Originally posted by Jorge Porbillas View Post
                              Of course, HRK's goal isn't even the best goal of the game
                              I prefer Ashley's.

Comment

I still wonder what de Bruyne thought he was doing there.

Comment

This is worth a read, BTW
                                  http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/f...story-13256102
                                  Last edited by Jorge Porbillas; 02-07-2017, 19:00.

Comment

Sorry if I misjudged the posting Nick ... it's the "slop" thing <insert winky thing>*
                                    It has become a thing to bait Wales fans about last summer - especially on social media - as if we weren't already aware of who/what/where we were/are/going/not going!

*It's been a while but do we still do that here?
                                    It's fine.

The only social media I do is this board and a bit of Blue and Amber when I need a laugh, or to feel better about myself...so I've no idea what's hip, or whatever.

You'll be surprised (or maybe not, I don't know) how many 'Sloppies' follow Wales and not England. I know several, one of whom has been following Wales home and away since the late 80s.

Such are the peculiarities of the Marches.

Comment

I love the fact how non-Welsh fans think we don't realise how unlikely we are to ever repeat last summer ... or even think that to point this out actually riles us...we'll still enjoy our trips to far flung corners of Europe without feeling the need to wave our willys nor pile the expectations upon our team
                                      Relax. I was merely getting in some gentle retaliation after Mon General de Galles dismissed Warren Feeney's contribution to South Wales football.

I don't see anyone accusing you of lack of realism. Anyway, although you've underachieved in this group there's plenty of time left. Here's a possible scenario:

Serbia: Moldova 3, IR 1, Austria 0 Georgia 1. TOTAL 17
                                      Irishrep: Georgia 1, Serbia 1, Moldova 3, Wales 0. TOTAL 17
                                      Wales: Austria 3, Moldova 3, Georgia 0, IR 3. TOTAL 17
                                      Austria: Wales 0, Georgia 3, Serbia 3, Moldova 3. TOTAL 17
                                      Georgia: IR 1, Austria 0, Wales 3, Serbia 1. TOTAL 8
                                      Moldova: Serbia 0, Wales 0, IR 0, Austria 0. TOTAL 2

Comment

To be fair DG I wasn't referring to your post!
                                        Had we beaten Georgia at home I'd be relatively happy with where we are with four games to go. As it is I think those two points will prove very costly. I can see us getting three points against both Georgia and Moldova but the two home games are what I fear.

Comment

Link seems dead.

Comment

Try this.

Comment

Ah cheers, had seen that article floating around but not got around to reading it yet.

Not only was I in Belgium on Saturday night for the Kanuversary but my train stopped in Lille on the way, it was like a pilgrimage.

Comment

Of course, we can all relive the tournament at home from today.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
                                                  Relax. I was merely getting in some gentle retaliation after Mon General de Galles dismissed Warren Feeney's contribution to South Wales football.

I don't see anyone accusing you of lack of realism. Anyway, although you've underachieved in this group there's plenty of time left. Here's a possible scenario:

Serbia: Moldova 3, IR 1, Austria 0 Georgia 1. TOTAL 17
                                                  Irishrep: Georgia 1, Serbia 1, Moldova 3, Wales 0. TOTAL 17
                                                  Wales: Austria 3, Moldova 3, Georgia 0, IR 3. TOTAL 17
                                                  Austria: Wales 0, Georgia 3, Serbia 3, Moldova 3. TOTAL 17
                                                  Georgia: IR 1, Austria 0, Wales 3, Serbia 1. TOTAL 8
                                                  Moldova: Serbia 0, Wales 0, IR 0, Austria 0. TOTAL 2
                                                  I had a quick go at doing some scenarios for the group a few nights ago and there are a few that lead to a very tight finish. I do fear that this may lead to the second place team from this group missing out on the playoffs.

There's a great deal of interest in the Wales national team now, and the atmosphere at games is great. The fact that there's four games to go and Wales are still in with a shout of qualification probably means it's one of our top World Cup qualification campaigns of all time. I don't expect Wales will qualify. Oddly it's the two home games that look like the trickiest. But, we should be in decent shape to have another crack at the Euros. Its expanded format means it should be a little easier to qualify for than this World Cup.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X