You don't get me, I'm part of the Union

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
    Nah, Andy Webster I think got the Schooling rule through in the last 10-15 years just, before then it was Country/Statelet of birth or parentage I think. Webster was born below the wall but spent his childhood and schooling in Scotland. There long enough to assimilate to drear pessimism and generally being disappointing. Won his case, but didn't exactly tear up trees for the National team either. Pyrrhic for poor old Andy.
    Nah, it was Andrew Driver, Webster is from Dundee, you're confusing your under-performing Hearts players called Andrew. Driver was born in England but moved to Scotland as an 11 year old. He played for Scotland schoolboys but wasn't then eligible to play for Scotland because he wasn't born in Scotland and had no Scottish grandparents.
    The SFA lobbied to have the rules amended so a player who was 'raised' in one of the home countries but born in another could choose to play for either. An agreement was reached that a person who had spent five years at school was then eligible to play for that country. Ironically because Driver left secondary in fourth year he still didn't qualify.

Comment

Didn't the SFA lobby and he IFAB because of some teenage wonderkid at Celtic who later went and played for England anyway?

Comment

Oh aye, Islam Feruz, now on a permaloan from Chelsea. Tommy Burns helped get him a U.K. Passport, and he is eligible to play for Scotland under the Andrew Driver (cheers AMMS) school rule. He went on to reveal his dream of playing in the African Nations in 2012, but hasn't represented Scotland or anyone else at any level since 2013 I believe. Sure if you're not cutting the mustard at Hibs or Swindon or some Kazakh outfit where you last a day, not even Scotland would be looking. I'm sure even if didn't work out here, it's only fair to have such a rule. You could spend almost your entire life in one country , but can only play for one you probably can't remember and have less ties to? Seems nationalistic blood and soil bollocks.
        Last edited by Lang Spoon; 20-06-2017, 20:20. Reason: Adam Driver is the pissy Moany Darth ffs

Comment

Pretty sure the 5-years-at-school rule is how Jordan Rhodes and his thick-as-mince Yorkshire accent qualify for Scotland as well.

Comment

Correct, he was there because his dad was playing for Dunfermline and St. Johnstone (not simultaneously)

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
              Oh aye, Islam Feruz, now on a permaloan from Chelsea. Tommy Burns helped get him a U.K. Passport, and he is eligible to play for Scotland under the Andrew Driver (cheers AMMS) school rule. He went on to reveal his dream of playing in the African Nations in 2012, but hasn't represented Scotland or anyone else at any level since 2013 I believe. Sure if you're not cutting the mustard at Hibs or Swindon or some Kazakh outfit where you last a day, not even Scotland would be looking. I'm sure even if didn't work out here, it's only fair to have such a rule. You could spend almost your entire life in one country , but can only play for one you probably can't remember and have less ties to? Seems nationalistic blood and soil bollocks.
              No, I've just googled and I think I was on about Karamoko Dembele

Comment

Working...
              X