Who should stay? Who should go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About time for this as League One and the National League are over (bar play-offs) and teams are putting out their released/retained lists.

Previous years:
    (can't find last year or prior to 2014, feel free to look!)

Collated BBC page of released players

Watford obviously have a few weeks left, and we don't have any senior players out of contract, bar amenable cheapo third-choice keeper Rene Gilmartin, who may be at risk as Mazzarri wasn't prepared to have him as temporary second-choice in January and dropped an outfield player from our 25-man Premier League squad to add a non-home-grown keeper. But then, Mazzarri might not be here, so add more complication there (I think he will be though).

We've got a few loanees in - Juan Zuniga made a good show as a utility player in the first-half of the campaign, but has barely featured in the second. He's 31 and unlikely to get another deal. M'Baye Niang (22) has shown why he couldn't break through at Milan - flashes of talent, but often making poor decisions or getting the ball stuck under his feet. That said, the mooted ~£13m fee is probably now good value in this market, and I suspect we'll turn it permanent unless someone bigger comes in. Tom Cleverley's loan from Everton has already been converted to a permanent deal at the end of the season and that's a good thing.

Elsewhere, this is the first summer since 2012 where we won't have to deal with rumours of Troy Deeney's departure (well, a couple of papers have said West Brom, but it seems half-arsed). Nor are any other players likely to attract suitors higher up the food chain. Steven Berghuis (25) has seemingly had a good season winning the title on loan at Feyenoord, and he's made contradictory statements about staying/coming back. I'm inclined to think he'll end up there, which is a bit of a shame as he never got a fair crack after Flores bought him last season.

Another Flores signing, Mario Suarez (30), doesn't seem to have done so well at Valencia, but is unlikely to have a future with us and will probably be back in Spain by some means come August. Headless wing-back Juan Carlos Paredes (30 in July) has also flopped at Olympiakos, but is unlikely to return to Vicarage Road. Mathias Ranegie (33 in June), not seen in Hertfordshire since 2014, is out of contract. Right wing-back Brice Dja Djedje (26) is the aforementioned player dropped for a third-choice keeper - he missed the first half of the season through injury so has only played a couple of cup games in his first season. Leaving him out of the squad seemed to be a bit of a damning assessment, but he might not have been fully fit and we've been playing wingers and centre-backs on the right for much of the season, so he may have a future.

Otherwise, there will likely be concerns about the age of the squad. We haven't hit a cliff yet, but of our regular (permanent) first-team squad only Christian Kabasele (26), Roberto Pereya (26) and Abdoulaye Doucoure (24) are under the age of 27. Come the start of the season, we'd have nine players between 30-32, with Jose Holebas just turned 33 and Heurelho Gomes the older statesman in goal at 36. First out the door may be Valon Behrami (32), with strong suggestion he'll be allowed to go live out his playing days at home in Sion. Ben Watson (32 in July) has also been out of favour all season and will likely seek one last deal in the Championship. It wouldn't surprise me if the club start looking round for a Gomes replacement, although he's again there or thereabouts for our player of the season, while fellow keepers Costel Pantilimon (30) and Giedrius Arlauskis (a youthful 29) may also seek first-team football elsewhere. Otherwise it's hard to say, everyone's playing regularly and it may simply depend on where we plan to upgrade.

One last caveat to this is the various players that we probably own who are on loan at Granada and Udinese. The club has never confirmed we own Sven Kums (29, MF at Udinese), Uche Agbo (21, DF at Granada), Aly Malle (19, MF at Granada), but there's a fair chance they'll be acknowledged like royal bastards brought into the succession. Or come play for us, if you don't like that metaphor. We do definitely own Adalberto Penaranda (nearly 20, FW at Malaga), who has had two patchy years on loan since joining us from Udinese. Toss-up as to whether he finally comes to us or goes out again. There's also various unofficial teenage South Americans dotted around the globe, but I doubt we'll see much of them.

Your turn.

All I can say is that if anyone stays, I sincerely hope that we had the sense to include a massive relegation clause...

Comment

I feel trolled by this question.

Only one answer, and one person, need be offered up in response.

Comment

The Shrewsbury retained list has been released. Some of the young youth products have been let go, which fans are disappointed about. But Mat Sadler and Shaun Whalley have both been offered new contracts.

Doubtful any of the army of players Town has had on loan this past season will be offered contracts. None of them have especially stood out. But there have been rumours one or two of the forwards could return. That seems to be the area in dire need of investment.

There is a lot of deadwood with a year left on their contracts. Pruning that back has to be a priority but it's hard to get rid of people when the team limped to 18th last year. Nobody at this level will want them and why should they take a step down?

Comment

Oldham

Latics haven't announced their retained list yet. Unlike previous years we actually have a core of decent players already signed up (Peter Clarke, Anthony 'cousin of' Gerrard, Cameron Dummigan, Ollie Banks, Ousmane Fane, Aaron Amadi-Holloway) and a few with options that we could and should exercise (Ryan McLaughlin in particular).

I'd like to see unsung veteran Brian Wilson re-sign - the definition of a solid, reliable lower league defender - and probably Paul Green, who improved significantly under John Sheridan. Tope Obadeyi did enough to warrant another year up front. Young defenders George Edmundson and Jamie Stott should also stay. Ex-Blades winger Ryan Flynn is still under contract but hasn't delivered much yet. Hopefully a fresh season will prompt him.

Beyond that I'm less concerned on the others out of contract. Reserve keeper Chris Kettings, defenders Charles Dunne, Josh Law, Jamie Reckord and possibly Kallum Mantack, midfielders Lee Croft and Lee Knight, and forwards Michael Ngoo and Darius Osei haven't set the world alight. Osei and Mantack haven't looked too bad and could feel a little aggrieved; Reckord and, to a lesser degree, Croft should disappear quietly having done very little to justify their wages.

What we need for next season: a goalkeeper, to replace the magnificent Connor Ripley (surely destined for either Middlesbrough's first team or a loan at a better club), a left back, and a goalscorer - ideally pacy - to complement Amadi-Holloway.

Farnborough

Nor sure we need much. Most of the squad have played at levels above the division we've been promoted into. The strike force (Jamie Cureton, Dennis Oli, Perry Coles and Pat Cox - 51 goals between them) should equal any defence; the goalkeepers are solid (and judging by match photos of Aaron Bufton, perhaps a little too solid), and we have decent defenders and midfielders (the marauding John Oyenuga, versatile workhorse Josh Huggins, solid pros like Keith Emmerson, Curtis Osano and Sam Pearce, plus experienced local boys Nic Ciardini and CJ Fearn).

In past years tinkering and a revolving door of transfers has arguably damaged the team; perhaps this year just a central midfielder (particularly if Charlie Allen and Scott Donnelly don't return) and a loan or two would give some incremental improvement without disruption.

Comment

Ha. Apparently in the 2015 thread I really wanted Brian Wilson to be released. What can I say, he proved me wrong this year.

Comment

Statement from AFC Wimbledone

Neal Ardley said that he has had to make plenty of tough decisions in an effort to improve the squad for next season after informing several players that their contracts will not be renewed.

Neal also updated supporters about the situations of players he would like to keep for next season’s 2017/18 campaign in League One.

Dannie Bulman and James Shea made vital contributions to AFC Wimbledon’s rise after joining in the summer of 2014 with both players making over 100 appearances in all competitions for the club.

One of the club’s Wembley heroes last May, Dannie continued to play regularly in League One during 2016/17 at the age of 38, showing the commitment in midfield that made him a favourite with supporters. His popularity was also summed up at the end of season celebration as he received the Players’ Player of the Year award, serenaded by supporters with passionate chants of ‘Dannie Bulman, Wimbledon’s number four’.

Neal Ardley said: “Unfortunately, we’ve reached a point where finances and different things going on, mean that with a heavy heart we have to let Dannie go. This is particularly tough for the staff because Dannie is one of the players we have got particularly strong allegiances with. He has never let us down during the time he has been here.

“Dannie is one person who we are going to be really sad to lose because the place is going to be different without him. He is a great character to have around the place, but sometimes to move on and try to take the club forward, you need to make tough decisions. Dannie is going to leave – like he did from Oxford and Crawley – with a lot of best wishes from people who love what he has done for the club and I will certainly miss him.

“James did really well for us when he stepped in after Ryan Clarke moved on. After being left out, James really knuckled down and made the number one spot his own again. He has been a real team man with an attitude that is a model for all players. He has had a really solid season, but unfortunately for James I am determined to try and improve the squad all over.

“Some people may say that I am taking a risk, but it is something we have worked on now for a number of months so that we do not make the same mistakes we have in the past in this area. We are confident we can bring someone in who can take us to a new level and that is no slight on James. He has been outstanding for us and been a really good servant. James leaves as a really strong member of the AFC Wimbledon family.”

Tom Elliott produced an outstanding second season for the club, scoring 13 goals in all competitions and leading the forward line superbly. A deserved winner of our Player of the Year award, Tom is obviously a player who Neal would like to keep for next season’s League One campaign.

“We have offered Tom a deal, but he wanted to wait until the end of the season to decide on his future and look at what direction he goes in,” added Neal. “Obviously, we have to move on and look at other options as well, while that is going on. Tom has had an outstanding season, as well all know, and we will be delighted if he stays. That is something out of our hands though. If we move quickly that may go out of the window because Tom could decide we are the club for him. He loves it here and loves the relationship he has with the fans, but he is also quite ambitious as well. We will see where this one goes.”

Chris Robertson made 18 appearances for the club after joining last summer and Neal believes it is the best decision to allow him to leave so that he can get more first-team opportunities.

“Chris has not been getting the playing time he would have liked recently and he needs to be playing more regularly,” said Neal. “We are hopeful that Will is ready to step-up, although he is still learning. Darius and ‘Robbo’ have both done really well in the last couple of seasons, but we will need to strengthen at the back. We believe it is best for Chris and his career for him to move on.”

Sean Kelly is a player who Neal wants to keep for next season, but the left-back has had an offer from a club to return to Scotland.

Neal said: “We would like to keep Sean and I think in an ideal world he would like to stay. He has really improved during the course of the season, but as it stands he has a very good offer on the table from a club in Scotland. There is a likelihood that if we cannot match Sean’s ambitions here, then it would be a sensible thing for him to do. As it stands, it is a little bit open. Whatever happens, I think the player we have got at the end of the season is a much better player than the one we had at the start of the season and we are really pleased with that.”

Neal added that Tom Beere and David Fitzpatrick both fit into the category of young players who need to move on to forge careers in the game after limited opportunities during 2016/17.

“Tom did wonderful for us at the end of our promotion season, scoring a vital goal against Accrington, and playing a major part in the play-offs,” Neal said. “Again, it goes back to affordability and whether these fringe players are going to step-up to League One football, particularly when you look at how tough it has been at the back end of the last season. With the likes of Tom and David, there is only so long that we can keep them before they financially want a better deal or they need to play to make a career for themselves. If I cannot guarantee them games for next season, sometimes you have to do the right thing by the player. I am sure that both of these players will have great careers because they are talented young footballers.”

Dan Gallagher and George Oakley are two academy products who Neal also feels need to seek opportunities elsewhere.

Neal said: “In the Under-21s set-up, we have some lads who have got to the point where they need to go out and play first-team football regularly. Dan Gallagher has shown a fantastic attitude, captaining our development squad, but he needs to go out and play. George has had a couple of loan spells that have not quite gone as well as he would have wanted them to, but I need to be 100 per cent certain that he can be one of our four strikers next season. If he is not going to get the playing time here, then the right thing is that he goes elsewhere and gets a run of games for his own development. These are tough decisions and we wish these players all the best, but I am sure they will go on and forge good careers in the game.”

Of course, Tom Beere, Dan Gallagher, and George Oakley all progressed through the ranks at AFC Wimbledon, making significant contributions at youth level, and the club wishes the trio all the best in their future careers.

Neal also added an update about other players in the squad who have been informed that they should seek to join another club.

“There are a few other players who have been told to move on because they do not have futures at this club,” said Neal. “We will see going forward how that develops. If they cannot find other clubs, then they will still be Wimbledon players next season.”

Read more at http://www.afcwimbledon.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/squad-update-from-neal-3701386.aspx#Wg2ihSRLwEkq3bRF.99

Comment

I was surprised about the Shea decision when it was announced yesterday, he's turned in to a very competent keeper this season. Bulman's release can only be because a) he's 38 (even if he does play like he's ten years younger) b) Tom Soares is a long term replacement.

Everyone at the club will be desperate for Elliot to sign a new deal, especially given how toothless the team has looked with him missing in recent weeks. He's essential to the style of play they've developed in the last three or four seasons since Ardley stamped his mark on the squad, seamlessly replacing Akinfenwa. Kelly would be something of a miss too and is the most improved player in the squad this season.

No surprises elsewhere, I can only assume the "few other players who have been told to move on because they do not have futures at this club" include Barnett and, sadly, Poleon given he's managed one goal since mid-December despite his whole-hearted efforts.

Comment

Sheffield Wednesday

We won't issue a retained list until our play off campaign ends and decisions will be impacted by that outcome, but I'll have a stab at our position given that all of our regulars are under contract already.

Jose Semedo is the obvious name out of contract. It was a surprise when he got a new deal last year, but he's featured periodically off the bench this year. He's a hugely popular figure both with the supporters and in the dressing room, the last regular member of the 2012 promotion team and as he's 32 it's possible he might be kept as some sort of talisman with a coaching role of sorts. As an aside, he's also best mates with Cristiano Ronaldo and the great man is hoping to come over and watch one of our play off matches. He might be in for a shock there.

Central defence has been a problem position all season and reinforcements are needed whatever happens, to that end we can do better than Vincent Sasso.

All the back up keepers have their deals expiring. Joe Wildsmith could IMO play for England if he improves his kicking and general ball control. He's only 21 and has been linked with Forest, hopefully we'll keep him. Cameron Dawson played a few games in an injury crisis last autumn but was by all accounts below Championship standard. Jake Kean joined as cover last summer, he's never appeared and has been on loan at Mansfield since Christmas.

We've got other players out on loan who we presumably won't see again, Claude Dielna and Modou Sougou, both of whom always looked no more than squad players. We also signed Urby Emanuelson, he hasn't played for the first team and his main contribution was to look disinterested in the under 23s.

Calum McManaman and Will Buckley have both been in on loan, neither have made much impression and won't be back. The wing positions are another that need improvement regardless of what happens.

There's other squad members who are out of favour but still under contract. Lewis McGugan wasn't even given a squad number, he's not a Carvalhal type player and if we're not going to play him let him go and be useful for someone lower down the division. Lucas Joao has never been the same since his magic tooth got knocked out at Rotherham last season, he's currently not pulling up any trees at Blackburn. Felipe Melo seems to be permanently injured and has been on loan in Portugal. Atdhe Nuhiu might be shifted on, he's rather a divisive figure in the sense that the fanbase is split over his competence and contribution.

Of the more senior players, Sam Winnall was signed from Barnsley in January, word is he's not really settled and he's presently out of the squad, could see him leaving - albeit not back to Barnsley after the stick he got at Oakwell the other week. There's always the possibility Fernando Forestieri might try and engineer a move. Not getting promoted might see someone low down the Premier League make a move for Sam Hutchinson. Our most promising youngster George Hirst has been linked with Everton several times, that might re-appear again, particularly as his father is no longer involved in a matchday hospitality capacity with the club.

Comment

How much do the fans rate Kieran Lee, longeared? Would love to have him back here.

Comment

Crusoe wrote: Oldham

Latics haven't announced their retained list yet. Unlike previous years we actually have a core of decent players already signed up (Peter Clarke, Anthony 'cousin of' Gerrard, Cameron Dummigan, Ollie Banks, Ousmane Fane, Aaron Amadi-Holloway) and a few with options that we could and should exercise (Ryan McLaughlin in particular).

I'd like to see unsung veteran Brian Wilson re-sign - the definition of a solid, reliable lower league defender - and probably Paul Green, who improved significantly under John Sheridan. Tope Obadeyi did enough to warrant another year up front. Young defenders George Edmundson and Jamie Stott should also stay. Ex-Blades winger Ryan Flynn is still under contract but hasn't delivered much yet. Hopefully a fresh season will prompt him.

Beyond that I'm less concerned on the others out of contract. Reserve keeper Chris Kettings, defenders Charles Dunne, Josh Law, Jamie Reckord and possibly Kallum Mantack, midfielders Lee Croft and Lee Knight, and forwards Michael Ngoo and Darius Osei haven't set the world alight. Osei and Mantack haven't looked too bad and could feel a little aggrieved; Reckord and, to a lesser degree, Croft should disappear quietly having done very little to justify their wages.
                      John Sheridan was clearly listening. They've now announced the list:

Mantack, McLaughlin, Stott & Osei - options taken
                      Kettings, Edmundson, Wilson, Green & Obadeyi - offered new deals
                      Dunne, Law, Reckord, Croft, Knight & Ngoo - released

Seems about right.

Comment

Crusoe wrote: How much do the fans rate Kieran Lee, longeared? Would love to have him back here.
                        Very highly indeed. If he did leave it'd be in an upward direction, though hopefully this won't happen.

Comment

Manager Dean Keates has culled a large number of players from an underperforming squad as the season ended on Saturday.

The club has announced its very short ‘retained list’ this afternoon, made up of Chris Dunn and Russell Penn. Mark Carrington has signed new contract and Paul Rutherford has accepted offer of new contract.

The large number of players released is not a surprise, with former manager Gary Mills fired after dire performances this season. Gary Mills went to York, who were relegated on Saturday.

Mills had offered some contracts meaning an auto renew, rumoured to be on improved terms, after playing a certain number of games. That move hamstrung the club to the latter end of the season, with new manager Dean Keates having to juggle the legacy of Gary Mills in his own plans.

The players not retained and now looking for new clubs are:
                          Iffy Allen
                          Khaellem Bailey-Nichols
                          Anthony Barry
                          Rob Evans
                          Shwan Jalal
                          Izale McLeod
                          Callum Powell
                          Martin Riley
                          Jordan White

Curtis Tilt, Hamza Bencherif and John Rooney are still out on loan for the moment, but will not return to Wrexham.

It appears James Jennings may come back to the Racecourse next season pending future discussions.

Loan players will not return, with the club saying: “We would like to thank both Ntumba Massanka and Ollie Shenton for their contributions during the last three months at the Racecourse, and wish them well in the future careers, which we will follow closely.

“To the players leaving, we also offer our thanks for their service this season and in previous years. We hope all are quickly fixed up with new clubs and that our paths cross again. ”

Future announcements will take place, with the club noting: “With the Youth team having one more league match to play, at home to Bury next Saturday morning, details concerning the scholars will be held over until the start of next week.

“We can though confirm that Olly Marx has joined Leo Smith in being offered a professional deal for 2017/18, after playing in seven of the last eight games this season.”

Overnight reds fans hit the £45k ‘build the budget’ target, giving Dean Keates a bonus warchest to use as he sees fit to kick on into next season.
                          This is getting to be a rather depressing pattern. Watch it, we'll end up signing at least 15 new players, completely fail to gel and end up closer to the bottom four than the top five.

Lather, rinse, repeat. Always repeat.

Comment

QPR

Guesswork right now, but the two loanees will almost certainly go (Lua Lua and Ravel Morrison). Probably time to bid a final farewell to Jamie Mackie and Karl Henry. El Khayati, Borysiuk, Gladwin, and Doughty have barely got a look in under Holloway so can't see them returning. Then there are the two expensive wastes of space, Jay Emmanuel Thomas and Stephen Caulker, I'm sure the club would love to move them on but it's hard to see who'd take them. Most fans would love to see the back end of James Perch, but Olly seems to like him.

Otherwise, we're a selling club now so if the right offer comes for anyone I'm sure it'll be considered. I hope they see Smithies, Manning, Freeman, Luongo, Wszolek, Hall and Sylla as "foundational," but who knows.

Comment

Crusoe wrote: How much do the fans rate Kieran Lee, longeared? Would love to have him back here.
                              My wife and our kids all support Wednesday so I follow them closely, and attend many matches with them.

Kieran Lee is (for me) the most underrated player in the division. I'd love him at my club Birmingham, but that's a forlorn hope as he's too good for us. No chance of him going back to Oldham for a few years yet.

Comment

Norwich City

The cull has just started at Carrow Road. Seven have gone already (John Ruddy, Kyle Lafferty, Steven Whittaker, Youssouf Mulumbu, Michael Turner, Seb Bassong and Ryan Bennett) and with a few raised eyebrows at Ruddy's departure (primarily due to high wages) nobody is bothered about the other six.

Expect more to depart if new Sporting Director Stuart Webber has his way as he did hint at 12-15 players going in total. High earning Steven Naismith might be next, and nobody would be surprised to see the perpetually injured Matt Jarvis join him. Timm Klose and Yanic Wildschut may be flogged on if we can claw back some of the huge fees we spent on them, while a few of the fringe players such as Conor McGrandles and Tony Andreu will almost certainly be gone.

Some of the old guard will still be here such as Russell Martin, Johnny Howson and Wes Hoolahan, the latter as a bit part player in his testimonial year. The popular and decent Portuguese pair, Nelson Oliveira and Ivo Pinto should still be around, and maybe loanee Mitchell Dijks if we can persuade him to come back. Cameron Jerome and Graham Dorrans will probably get another year, but possibly not Alex Tettey who has looked seriously past his best this last season.

Expect to see most of the youngsters staying such as the Murphy twins, Ben Godfrey, James Maddison, Louis Thompson, and (if nobody comes in for him) Alex Pritchard. Declan Rudd (keeper) and Harry Toffolo (left-back) have been retained after their season long loans at Charlton and Scunthorpe. They'll probably be kept as cover although Rudd, despite his limitations, is probably better than any keeper on our books now.

Comment

Shocked to see Ruddy go, although I shouldn't be I suppose. Damn it.

At least Rudd's stayed/back for next season, can we assume?

I suppose we should sign a keeper called Rud as his understudy now. And start scouting ahead for one named Ru.

Comment

Bumping this for any Championship and League Two folk who were holding off, now they're (largely) sorted.

Comment

Patrick Thistle wrote: The Shrewsbury retained list has been released. Some of the young youth products have been let go, which fans are disappointed about.
                                      People who had seen Ethan Jones play weren't.

To add to the list.

A youth product who has been offered a new deal is 'keeper Shaun Rowley, while the 'superhuman' Abs Ogogo has extended.

Comment

Scunthorpe United

Released: David Mirfin, Scott Wiseman, Joe Anyon, Jamie Ness.

New deal offered: Stephen Dawson, Neal Bishop, Kyle Wootton

"Negotiations Continuing": Luke Daniels, Craig Davies

Only mild surprises are Bishop being offered a new deal - he will turn 36 at the start of the season, and seemed to show it a bit last year, and Davies - there should be nothing to negotiate, he should go.
                                        Plus with one keeper (Anyon) binned, and the other not tied down, it is to be hoped that Alexander has a new signing lined up who is better than both.

Comment

Surprised at Mirfin being released, reliable and solid defender who has served the club well. If we had gone up, probably a little slow for the Championship but certainly good enough for League One. Alexander must be happy with Wallace and Goode as his main centre halves. Ness, when fit, has shown his quality, but he is a bit of a liability with his injury record. Definitely get rid of Davies, happy to keep Dawson, not sure about Bishop, and we have a good young keeper in Watson to back up Daniels, if he does stay.

Comment

Stockport County

In a departure from the norm we're keeping most of the previous season's squad, which must be the first time in at least five years, however we're going to need a complete rebuild at the front. The released list of 7 betrays the story of the season, strong in defence, the joint best in the division in fact, but all four first team strikers are on the list as none of them were dependable scorers - notably Gonzales who's failed to score in each of his two separate 3-month spells:

Josh Amis
                                            Ryan Ellison
                                            Sefton Gonzales
                                            John Marsden
                                            Courtney Meppen-Walters
                                            Kayode Odejayi
                                            Mark Ross

The position where the goals did arrive was left wing, where Danny Lloyd scored 29, though he let his contract run down and Peterboro' have snapped him up on a three year deal. On the other wing Adam Thomas did his ACL in August and resumed light training in the last few weeks so "he'll be like a new signing", and we had Kaine Felix on loan from York for most of the rest of the season, but although a regular he didn't last a full 90 minutes even once so I don't think he'll return. Gannon's said his strategy now is to recruit at least five very strong Conference North players, all in attacking positions I'd assume.

Comment

Burnley released their retained list.

Four first team pros are out of contract, with Michael Kightley and Joey Barton being released. The latter for obvious reasons. Kights has been at Burton and helped keep them up.

Talks going on with George Boyd and Paul Robinson. The former made 36 appearances, but I really don't want him to be anywhere near the lineup next season. Yes, he runs a lot, but there is little or no creativity in the team as it is and wasting a starting slot on Boyd is effectively setting up to nick a 1-0 win.

Robinson is there as a goalie coach, really.

Jon Flanagan has gone back to Liverpool, having been terrifyingly bad at times. He's got talent, but his career needs rebuilding somewhere else. He'll be a very good signing... somewhere.

Rouwen Hennings (Fortuna Dusseldorf) and Freddie Ulvestad (Charlton) return from loans and will be shipped out as we continue our glorious tradition of finding foreign players and not doing much with them.

Everyone else is under contract. Michael Keane is virtually guaranteed to be off for £25m or so. Not bad considering we paid £3.5m for him from Man Utd 2.5 seasons ago. Steven Defour is the most outrageously talented player ever to pull on a Clarets shirt, but Dyche doesn't trust him and he will be sold. This will break a million hearts, because it will be for the right, solid, justifiable reasons, Dyche football is efficient and effective and not particualrly pleasing on the eye. Defour was smooth as silk and full of flair and touch. At Burnley, he stood out like Scarlett Johansson at the bar of the Miners WMC. She might have been giving us the eyes, but deep down we know she is out of our league.

Never mind, Steven, we'll always have that goal against Bristol City.

Of those remaining, I'd like to see Ashley Barnes and Scott Arfield sold and wished well on their future endeavours. Neither is Premier League level. Not sure Barnes is Championship level, to be honest. Scotty A has been a great servant since turning up for a trail after being released by Huddersfield. Had a habit of scoring vital goals, including a winner at Ewood which ensures he will never have to buy a pint in Burnley ever again. But he wans';t good enough two seasons ago, let alone now. He needs the extra half second you get in the Championship, the speed of thought in the Premier League is just too much for him.

Barnes I've never been convinced by - more interested in winning a foul than the ball, if you give him the ball he'll slot it home first time. Ask him to control it and he'll shank it wide from three feet. Does the same job that Sam Vokes does, but aggression aside, not as well.

Some talk of Gray moving on, but I suspect wishful thinking on the part of an anti-Gray tendancy in the fandom. He's not very "Burnley" in too many peoples eyes, they've decided that with his celebrity girlfriend, tattoos and hiphop posse he's a bit of a flash Harry. If, in that statement, you reading that there may be an underlying tendancy of a certain section of fans who may vote a certain way towards a young, black, urban footballer... I'm not going to argue with you. I don't like it, either.

Heaton will attract interest, but I'm not sure he could be tempted away without something silly coming along. Talk of Ben Mee attracting attention, too. With the increased money available, we should be able to keep everyone happy.

We need a striker, a creative winger and maybe some centre back cover. Survival was surprisingly comfortable, but 2 wins in the last 16 games says the warning signs are there. The club had enough chances to move into the top ten and kept missing them and relying on home form isn't going to be good enough, especially as our away form was largely of our own choosing. (Too defensive.)

Comment

Amor de Cosmos wrote: QPR

Guesswork right now, but the two loanees will almost certainly go (Lua Lua and Ravel Morrison). Probably time to bid a final farewell to Jamie Mackie and Karl Henry. El Khayati, Borysiuk, Gladwin, and Doughty have barely got a look in under Holloway so can't see them returning. Then there are the two expensive wastes of space, Jay Emmanuel Thomas and Stephen Caulker, I'm sure the club would love to move them on but it's hard to see who'd take them. Most fans would love to see the back end of James Perch, but Olly seems to like him.

Otherwise, we're a selling club now so if the right offer comes for anyone I'm sure it'll be considered. I hope they see Smithies, Manning, Freeman, Luongo, Wszolek, Hall and Sylla as "foundational," but who knows.
                                                I was right about Lua Lua, Morrison and Henry. Mistaken about Mackie — who's been given another year long contract. A handful of kids have been let go, but no word on anyone else yet. However Les Ferdinand underscored today that we need to buy, but have to sell to do it. Trouble is, aside from Smithies and maybe Wszolek, I'm not sure we've anyone who'd be that attractive in the immediate term. There' been interest in some youngsters, a bid from Everton for Josh Bowler (17) has been rejected, as players like him are supposed to be our future. It'll be an interesting Summer.

Comment

Manchester United

BIN OFF:

Jones and Smalling. Seeing them defend together is like seeing the Chuckle Brothers deliver a ladder to a glass shop. Them injuring each other on international duty is both hilarious and utterly depressing. Rumour has it that Mourinho will keep Jones but will look to offload Smalling. Fair enough. Smalling's greatest contribution to the club is running through Manchester pissed singing "We're Man United we do what we want" while out injured. Which, granted, is pretty hard to top.

Martial can fuck off if he doesn't cheer up. I'm sick of seeing his miserable fucking face. Honestly. Never looks happy, never looks arsed. Dunno if it's because he wants to play through the middle but isn't allowed or what, but if he's going to be a mard about it, he can do one.

Young and Carrick and that can probably be put out to pasture, give the young lads more of a game. Don't see the point in having a load of 30+ players on the bench all the time when youth can be given a chance.

Rooney, obv. He's broken. Great player for us. Time he was an average one for someone else.

Darmian. Shite.

KEEP:

Daley Blind because he's handsome.
                                                  Mata because we share cultural interests and his Tapas gaff on Deansgate is alright.
                                                  Herrera because he calls town 'town'.
                                                  Rojo because he's been mint this year ever since that mad two-footed lunge and is part of my dream Argentine axis of bastard with Romero.
                                                  Romero because he's part of my dream Argentine axis of bastard with Rojo
                                                  Fellaini. For the lols.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X