Going for a Burton - Weekend matchgoing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First ever visit to the Pirelli Stadium on Saturday to watch Norwich hopefully continue their recent revival. Need to update my current ninety two list, but takes me somewhere near seventy and just two short of completing the Championship. A new town on my travels to visit too, so any advice welcome.

Do Cleethorpes actually play in Grimsby?

Comment

Arturo wrote: A new town [Burton] on my travels to visit too, so any advice welcome.
      The London Millers like Coopers Tavern.

Comment

And (finally) I'm hoping to get to the battle of the Wanderers: Cricklewood v Tooting & Mitcham...

Comment

I'm carrying on my Cup Odyssey by taking the boy to Fulham v Spurs on Sunday.

I may try and squeeze a game in on Saturday too, Southall v Cleethorpes is quite tempting actually (I liked Reynolds Field when I visited to see Hanwell Town) if I strike out a little further afield. Otherwise, I was thinking of sampling Whyteleafe for their game against Horsham or Walton & Herham v Bedfont & Feltham if I'm staying nearer home.

Comment

Gangster Octopus wrote: Do Cleethorpes actually play in Grimsby?
            My stepmother, who was born and raised in Cleethorpes, was surprised to find out the other week (from me) that such a team exists. If I said she radiated pride at news they'd reached the last eight of the FA Vase, I'd be telling a fat lie.

Edit - I'm off to Eintracht v Ingolstadt, the same game that produced 120 minutes of tireless tedium in the cup earlier this season (0-0). Last season wasn't much better (1-1). But it's a rare free Saturday afternoon coinciding with home game.

Comment

As Bath City aren't at home this week, I am going to see Larkhall Athletic play my wife's hometown club, Hereford. As the Bulls bring about 500 supporters to every game they are playing presently and Larkhall is the sort of ground that is so small that I have actually played on it twice, it should be fun. Had to secure tickets up front. Exciting.

Comment

To Turf Moor for Burnley vs Lincoln. A slight difference to last Sundays opposition. Obviously we're the bad guys here, so I've been practicing my moustache twirling and evil cackle.

Comment

Bordeaux Education wrote: As Bath City aren't at home this week, I am going to see Larkhall Athletic play my wife's hometown club, Hereford. As the Bulls bring about 500 supporters to every game they are playing presently and Larkhall is the sort of ground that is so small that I have actually played on it twice, it should be fun. Had to secure tickets up front. Exciting.
                  That does sound fantastic, is the Mrs going along too to support The Bulls? Is it all your Punk Rock & Eurovision friend's doing?

The evocatively-named Plain Ham looks quite the ground too.

Comment

I'm also heading to Southall v Cleethorpes on Saturday. Also planning to go to Sherwood Colliery v Pinxton tomorrow night and rugby league at Hemel Hempstead on Sunday.

Comment

Gangster Octopus wrote:
                      Originally posted by Arturo
                      A new town [Burton] on my travels to visit too, so any advice welcome.
                      The London Millers like Coopers Tavern.
                      I'd second that, a gem of a pub - albeit not exactly a hidden one.

You're spoilt for choice in Burton - I went in the Devonshire last time and that was excellent - and I believe there's a couple of micropubs opened since my last visit too.

Comment

Out into the 'country' on Sunday afternoon for me, for a mid-table against top of the league as Somerset Trojans take on North Village Rams. North Village will be missing a couple of their top youngsters as the national U-20s squad are away en-route to Costa Rica for the Concacaf championships. For any Stoke, Macclesfield and Walsall fans (amongst other teams), the U-20s are managed/coached by Kyle Lightbourne.

Comment

Central European leagues are just waking up after the winter break. I am going to Rapid Vienna vs Admira at Rapid's smart looking new stadium. Aiming to make a long day of it by first visiting the Kunsthistorisches and then the always fantastic 1516 mircobrew pub. The game is an 1830 kick-off, so it could be really cold by the end.

Both teams are stuck in mid-table mediocrity. Rapid were beating Austria 1-0 in the Vienna derby last w/e, only to concede a 94th minute equaliser. They played that at the Ernst Happoel as Austria are now the ones doing stadium reconstruction.

Comment

Also thinking about Karvina vs Mlada Boleslav in the Czech league on Sunday, if I'm not too knackered after Saturday in Vienna.

Comment

Barnsley v Brighton

Comment

Gangster Octopus wrote: Do Cleethorpes actually play in Grimsby?
                                They currently play in a village called Bradley at the Bradley Community Football Centre fka Bradley Pitches. It is an excellent facility. It is near Grimsby but not in Grimsby. They are hoping to move to their own ground which used to be a cricket ground in Cleethorpes near King George V Stadium. The name escapes me now. The new ground is terrible and will never make ground gradings if they move up which is looking likely.

Only Santutxu v Baskonia this weekend for me. I'm skint.

Comment

I'll be at the weekend's only all-ticket sixth level game in the world. Someone will prove me wrong now. Anyway, home to FCUM then out for some drinks in Altrincham.

Comment

Ray de Galles wrote:
                                    Originally posted by Bordeaux Education
                                    As Bath City aren't at home this week, I am going to see Larkhall Athletic play my wife's hometown club, Hereford. As the Bulls bring about 500 supporters to every game they are playing presently and Larkhall is the sort of ground that is so small that I have actually played on it twice, it should be fun. Had to secure tickets up front. Exciting.
                                    That does sound fantastic, is the Mrs going along too to support The Bulls?
                                    No, she turned her nose up about it when I initially bought the tickets but showed interest last night. Too late, I am afraid.

Is it all your Punk Rock & Eurovision friend's doing?
                                    The match? No, I assume it is the Southern League fixture secretary's doing. As for the idea of going along, it was Gay Paul, the Larhall supporter from the Black Country's idea.

I have to say that the 1000 capacity they advertise seems ambitious but seeing as Yate reckon they have a 2500 capacity, there must be some odd non-league algorithms involved in capacity calculation. I certainly don't remember that mini-Kop from last time I was there.

Interestingly, Larkhall's manager is the previous manager's dad.

Comment

Actually, I should check that Gay Paul refers to himself as that.

Comment

Sherwood Colliery v Pinxton was a rather one sided game that somehow only finished 3-0 to the home side. One of Sherwood's substitutes could have got a hat trick but managed to choose the wrong final touch each time. Fairly uninteresting ground on the outskirts of Mansfield, with the Friday night kickoff attracting about 100 more than would normally come on a Saturday.

Comment

Well I suppose it's one of the more picturesque needlessly pointless postponements I've been to.

This should have been the 1030 kick off of Mowbray Community Church v Destiny (the football club, not the concept of predetermined outcome) in the Yorkshire Christian League.

I don't know, it's almost as if religion can't be relied on.

Comment

Spur of the moment decision to head to Wiesbaden today for their 3. Liga match against Zwickau. It's a village club that was uprooted and plonked down in a new identikit ground in Wiesbaden a few years ago, so there's not much regional support, or any Fankultur to speak of. However, am taking VL jnr. so the smaller ground (which will be pretty empty, I guess) is a much easier option than heading to Frankfurt or Mainz for their top-flight matches. Plus it finishes early enough for us to catch the last bus home from Speyer, which was the most important consideration!

Just passed a group of Eintracht fans at Wiesbaden station, warming up for the match with a delicious cocktail of Fanta and Chantré brandy. Nice.

Comment

Both sets of Wanderers are wearing red, black and white, and I'm wearing my red, black and white (Millers) scarf which could undermine my lack of neutrality...

Comment

T&M very unhappy with the referee, and not totally without reason.

Comment

T&M take the lead somewhat against the run of play, but C equalise as I'm waiting for this page to build...

Comment

Working...
                                                  X